Author Topic: old west camping  (Read 7984 times)

Offline cowboy_paul

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
old west camping
« on: September 06, 2013, 07:39:55 AM »
I have a friend who does mountain man/ rendezvous reenacting and she was showing me pictures of her teepee and how they all camp out for the weekend, and I've heard of CAS/SASS/NCOWS members discussing old styles of tents, cots, rope beds and bedrolls,  so my question is, how common is it for people to camp out at events, especially here in Texas?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: old west camping
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 07:56:40 AM »
The anaual NCOWS National has period camping, and sets a nice area.

Most monthy events are one day afairs , though the Berger Sharpshootes (Texas) have the multi day SW Regional next month...
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 05:41:13 PM »
For my own self, I have an 18ft Tipi and I love it when camping for a week or more.  For one night camping primitive, I throw my bed roll on the ground and enjoy the night sky.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:49:30 AM »

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 08:12:24 PM »
There is an old story about a young Texas Cowboy. He quit working at a Ranch because the foreman told him to throw his bedroll under the Chuck Wagon because it was going to rain. He said he couldn't work in such a confining job. (Likely not a direct quote).
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 10:35:51 PM »
Don't know about Texas, but there will be period camping at the GAF Grand Muster in KS next month. Come on up, don't HAVE to have a uniform or military rifle, cowboy stuff is welcome too! Got to have some civilian scouts along, you know!

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 07:47:25 AM »
I just happened to remember that there is a series of photos of campers in Yellowstone taken in the late 1800s. I've seen'm but can't refer you to a site(?) They might be worth looking up. I do remember there being both men and women. There was a military looking tent with a flap extending out the front.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline c.o.jones

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 07:37:17 PM »
I don't know anything about those Texas boys and them camping out. I do know about the Kansas Vigilance Committee, a NCOWS group that camps out all the time. Some of us show up 2 or 3 days ahead of a shoot just to camp. We pride ourselves on period correct tents and gear. So if you want to come to some great shoots and camp out with some good old boys.....COME TO KANSAS.
NCOWS 1097
Kansas Vigilance Committee
SASS 5610 Life
NRA Life
VFW Life
USMC Forever

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 09:28:23 AM »
I have a friend who does mountain man/ rendezvous reenacting and she was showing me pictures of her teepee and how they all camp out for the weekend, and I've heard of CAS/SASS/NCOWS members discussing old styles of tents, cots, rope beds and bedrolls,  so my question is, how common is it for people to camp out at events, especially here in Texas?

Paul,

If you are looking to period camp, NCOWS will be the outfit you are looking for.  NCOWS has a group that regularly sets up at period camp at our National Match in Indiana each summer.  It s quite a sight and experience.  You can find pictures of the camp here:

http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/NCOWS/library/2013%20National%20Shoot?sort=2&src=wap&page=1

Also we have some written guidelines for period campers:

http://www.ncows.org/resources/camping.html

The NCOWS members in Kansas and a few other areas  hold regular period camps thoughout the year.  NCOWS is relatively new here in Texas (first posse started in '09).  We have a group that is interested in starting a camp at our fall Regional match in Greenville. 

SASS does not have regular period campers at its matches.  You will find dry campers (modern kit) and loads of folks in RV's at SASS matches. 

If you can, try to make one if our matches at Berger Sharpshooters.  Our big fall match is next month. That'd be a good time for you to meet our membership and youll get to meet lots of the NCOWS members from out of state as well.

http://www.bergersharpshooters.com/

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline cowboy_paul

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 08:10:04 PM »
I will be there, I only have a bedroll right now, still making my tent, but its enough to keep warm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com