Author Topic: Old Dog Can Learn New Tricks!  (Read 3663 times)

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Old Dog Can Learn New Tricks!
« on: March 03, 2008, 11:05:57 AM »
 :o Howdy Pards:
   i think that you folks have read my post's and replyied back to me, and have helped me some much, I am great full beyond words  ;D :). Went on a little trip Sat., if the old back lets me get up, we try to go somewhere on Sat. that just my wife and I's day to play! First hit a little gun show( >:( :() 6 tables, and everyone wanted twice what things were worth! But you never no untill you go, hit a few little flea markets, no jackpot's,  Got to Joplin eat Lunch and went to the outdoor flea market, it also was a crash and burn! I bought a cast Iron corn patterned muffin pan or what ever you want to call it!
  On the way home I stopped buy a shop in a little town where there is a leathersmith, he also makes knifes ect. Some of his work is iffy but some okay, he makes everything and he is so nice just like you folks. He had piles of leather scraps, I was looking for Letter stamps, he didn't have any that he wanted to get rid of, bit he had Tool Craft stamps(new) that I liked and he sold them to me for $2.00 a piece, cheap enough. Then i ask him if he would sell me some of his scrap, he said  you bet. he filled a big box full, mostly little pieces, but seveal that I could make some holster's, belts, knife sheafs(never was good at spelling sorry), all this for $6.00. Even though I didn't see anything like what you guys make, he tought me a lot of cheater stuff!! he showed me how to make my own stamps, out of brass alumumin, and also hard maple, he showed me some maple stamps that he has been using for 20 years, I was impressed!
 The reason I bought this scrap was that I had gotten my good leather and linning, and at the first try, I thought it would be nice to play on some junk. I couldn't do anything yesterday because of the walking I did Sat. But I got upearly this morning and cut out me a holster, I casted it and staerted playing with my tools, I did a basket weave  :-\ not the best not the worst, learned some do and don't, learned how to use my bevel tool , and had a great time!!
 I do believe I am hooked, and I am so glad I got that scrap leather to play with, because I feel that when I get ready to make my good pair, I will be able to make a set of holsters to be proud of.

I hope that you all didn't mind me sharing this, and I will be back to ask moe questions(sorry) ::)
I would like to tell you all, that I would of never went on this adventure of leather working if it hadn't been for the insperaction of you folks work, and help you have gave me.
I thank you from the bottom of my Heart
Ace
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
Re: Old Dog Can Learn New Tricks!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 11:52:27 AM »
hOWDY aCE

Thats great news Ace, sounds like you had a good day , and I know , good days are appreciated, starting out on scraps is the best thing you can do , to get used to the stamp or tool you're going to be useing, just make sure you dampen your leather first, and let it set up properly, and you'll get your best results, this is what I was taught by WC , and it makes everything come out better , and your edge beveler will work better too , you don't want too much water on the leather , just enough , and then let it come back to its original color , and it should feel cool if you touch it to the cheeks of you face, then your ready to go , this is one of the things I had trouble remembering to do , and if you forget , you'll know right away , because the leather will be hard to stamp , and edge. Ace I hope you have a lot of fun playing with your tools and practising your new craft, it will change your life , I promise. ;)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline cowboywc

• Top Active Citizen
    • Leather by WC
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 02:09:44 PM »
Howdy Ace
That sounds like you found a friend. It's nice to see the saddle maker giving help. I've heard so many stories
about people covering up their work and "That's a trade secret" that I want to puke.
Now it's practice, practice, practice........
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:17:52 AM »

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 03:33:38 PM »
tHANKS GUYS, It is life every other thing in this  world the more you it the more you lear, when you think you know it all, it will bit you right on the ### ;D. I have a lot of scraps, and I am going to practice , practice, pracrice!!
 Quick question, before I found this forum I need to dye a piece of natural cow hide black. I went to Wal Mart got a bottle of rizt die. I read Marshall first post, and he tell how to make your own dyes, and you all know me, I like to make what I can my self.
 Has anyone else used that Ritz dye with any luck. Not saying I am going to use it again, but if I needed a shade I coundn't make, I was wondering the go or no go! One more for the road, what size of letter stamps should i start out with 1/2" or 3/4"?
Thanks again Folks, your the best, i don't care what Ten wovles say's about you all ;) :D ;D
See Ya Ace
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 06:12:39 PM »
Howdy, Ace. That Saturday sounds like one to remember. Meeting someone who will share like that guy did is truly great. I found a Tandy store that was going out of business when I was first starting and I just bought a bunch at reduced prices. Most of them have had an amount of use since then although a few sat in the rack for years before I needed them. They're always a good investment.

You may want to try different degrees of wetness with the leather so you can tell easily what is too wet and what is too dry. That way you'll be able to hit it exactly right in the future. the correct amount of mointure is when the leather is firm yet still easily takes an impression.

You may want to go to a shoe store and look at Fiebings or Lincoln dye. Any you get at a Tandy will work, also. Rit dye is for fabrics and not intended for leather. I think you have to soak things in it. With leather, you need something you can wipe on and get an immediate result.

As to asking questions, do it. The pards here will do theri level best to steer you in the right direction.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline cowboywc

• Top Active Citizen
    • Leather by WC
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 02:56:37 AM »
Unfortunatly all Tandy's dyes now are water based. They don't work as well as their old spirit dyes.
Fiebings, Lincoln or Angelus.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 05:12:00 AM »

Marshall, and Wc, Thanks for the answers on the dyes, that will help a lot. Marshall I read your top post about making dyes, and I am going to do that to, because when my wife was making baskets, she tea stained them to the color she wanted. I am having a blast, after getting that scrap leather and then you guys giving me so much help, that takes a lot of the fustraction out of it, when starting something new, and all you have are books, for me, it makes it hard. I am a hands on guy.
 I am going to KU today, but you bet what I will be doing tomorrrow ;D ;D
I hope I can dind a Tandy store in Olathe Ks. I want to stop and buy some rivets or screw post, and maybe another goodie or two!
 You guys Have a Great Day
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com