Author Topic: Treasures Abound...  (Read 2357 times)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Treasures Abound...
« on: November 23, 2006, 12:41:46 PM »
I like GAR/UCV memorabilia.

I collect the various Ladder Badges, pins, ribbons and medals, and the like.

I've even written about it in 'North-South Trader's Civil War' magazine - with a smattering of information here, as well - and have a couple of articles currently in the hopper - expanding on them as I find interesting things.

Consequently, I keep my eyes open for all manner of Veteran's memorabilia, since other folks also seem to find it interesting, and a piece or two can add to your Impression, since pretty much all men of the time had served, and even the women had their patriotic organizarions as well - with many variations on the theme of commemorating those sacrifices made by their families.

The other day - something surfaced...

Most Veteran's memorabilia consists of a badge or medal or other souvenir, and they're fairly common - especially around the larger cities that held Conventions.

This was different - it actually has a post-convention use beyond being worn at a local Post meeting.

It's a pocket flask...

One of the unifying phrases of the time was 'We Drank From the Same Canteen' - signifying the pure 'humanity' of soldiery.

This became even more evocative after the War, as those men aged, and feelings mellowed, and the souvenir sellers/sutlers exploited this with celluliod pins and buttons - but the Philadelphia firm of 'A.Ledig & Son' produced a truly 'usable' souvenir in the shape of an issue canteen - complete with correctly-made cork stopper and chain.

Helluva deal, when you think of it - a canteen whose contents could be shared with compatriots that could also be used as a personal flask later on, and in a time when a large portion of men enjoyed a 'wee taste of the crayture' - it was both handy to own and signified wartime service at the same time.

It's complete - made of pewter - with a tasseled Red,White and Blue braided cord that serves as the 'strap', and the boss on its center features an intertwined 'GAR' in brass.
It measures 4 1/2" across and is about 1 1/4" wide at the center.

Whether is was sold 'filled' is anyone's guess - though no doubt a purveyor of spirits was nearby - small funnel at the ready.

Keep your eyes open - treasures abound...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Utah Bob

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lazy Bob Ranch
  • Liked:
Re: Treasures Abound...
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 07:00:25 PM »
That's great. Sounds like a wonderful piece! I've started collecting 1916 Mexican Punitive Expedition pieces. Oftentimes mis-identified in antique shops, some bargains can still be had. :)
Rocky Mountain Warthog
BOLD #1
GAF #6
Proprietor - Lazy Bob Ranch
No cattle, No crops, No problem

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 11:16:58 PM »
I've collected the Punitive Expeditionary stuff for over 40 years - and there are still interesting things coming to light.

What's harder to find though, are artifacts from the Mexican Revolution.

Most of that stuff was simply worn out.

Good Hunting!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:12:07 PM »

Offline Yankee John

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 08:26:56 PM »
Jeepers,  I'm all for collecting historically important and reasonably-priced militaria- Maybe I ought to give up collecting WWII American and German stuff (a literal mine field of reproductions and outright fraud). 

Nahh.... I've got too much $$$ and time tied up in it!

John

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 09:44:07 AM »
Somehow - I seemed to've missed the part about giving up a collecting interest to concentrate on another - though I do know that it happens.

I've collected, dealt, appraised and written about Post-Civil War American Mlitaria for a several decades, now - specializing in WWI SSI's and Collar Disks, along with Theater-Made insignia, and AAC/AAF, Airborne, Cavalry and Infantry material.

I started as a Great War collector in the early '60's, and something like that opens a lot of 'windows' (and trunks and closets and drawers) when you're actively looking, since a helluva lot of vets were alive and kicking - as were a couple of Spanish-American War guys.

To a young historian - it was a literal gold mine - both of militaria and of history, and those guys 'wanted' to relate their stories to an interested ear.

The thing is - a 'collector' collects...

It makes little difference 'what' he collects - as long as he's doing it.

He may be far, far removed from what his normal interests are - so he'll find other things that strike his fancies until he returns to his 'hunting grounds'.

Were he to be stranded on a deserted island - once he figured out warmth, shelter and food - he'd probably beach-comb for shells, or something of like matter - just to satisfy the need.

For example - I lived in Illinois for awhile - and they had some of 'the' best gun shows you'd ever want to attend.
'Then' - gun control legislation dropped across that world like a stone, and everything that shot was requiring paper and permits.

As a result - I started added the collecting of US-Issue Combat Knives, along with Gun Tools/Accouterments, since no one else did, and brand-new examples were leaking out of Rock Island Arsenal on a daily basis.

Good times, those.

There are a lot of 'niche' items that both flesh out an Impression, and if you know the field - they 'can' be had reasonably - unlike almost 'anything' from Deutschland.
The cachet of 'amazing value' to that materiel has risen steadily since the '60's, and there are far too many really well-done fakes extant to ever be of interest to me, so what Axis stuff that I do get is included with the American militaria I pursue, and is sold/traded quickly - often times paying for what I laid out.

Good Hunting.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com