Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
GRRRR
« on: March 21, 2022, 11:45:55 AM »
Casting bullets. I do know how, but my recent attempt at casting round balls for my new percussion revolver makes me think that maybe I don't know how. My 10 pound Lee pot has the wrong type of lead already in it, so I thought I would just use a Lyman cast iron pot, a dipping ladle, and an electric hotplate. The Lee 2 hole mold made 2 perfect balls right off the bat, and then it made only one, and then it made just a small piece of one. I finally got 5 balls that will work, and then I gave up. Back to the drawing board.

I WILL succeed.

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: GRRRR
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 12:20:49 PM »
Sounds like Your cast iron pot is loosing heat too fast.
Try wrapping it in a piece of ROCKWOOL insulation or equiv. fire-resistant stuff. 
Secure it with a length of baling wire or welding wire.
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 12:28:47 PM »
My hat is off to folks that cast.  Way too tedious and time-consuming for me.  Good luck! 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:12:31 PM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 12:35:13 PM »
I think the average hot plate does not get up to 700º or so. (Would make for a culinary disaster. Or a quick meal.) But I could be wrong.

Perhaps keeping the mould and ladle on the hot plate, too, will help? Heat all together to retain a certain level of heat.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 03:31:10 PM »
All is well. I set the hotplate and cast iron pot aside, brought out the Lee pot, heated it up and then drained out what lead was in it into ingot molds.

Loaded it up with the pure lead and commenced to making little, round balls. Smooth as butter. Got better than 100 balls made before my back said enough. Tomorrow is another day. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com