Author Topic: Ooops  (Read 737 times)

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 695
Ooops
« on: April 02, 2023, 10:17:07 AM »
So I reloaded about 200+ rounds of 45 Colt with large rifle primers instead of large pistol primers.

Come to find out, a case of large pistol primers I bought from someone had a few flats of large rifle primers mixed in with them and I didn't catch it till I was 200 rounds in.

After doing some research and reading I decided that since this was such a low pressure round that the spike in pressure would not likely be an issue. I thought that maybe my biggest issue would be maybe the hammers not setting off the rifle primers.

After some testing yesterday I found out that my Rugers had absolutely no problems with them.

Some of my Uberti guns thought were very hard to spin the cylinder due to the slightly higher primer height. They feel flush to the hand and naked eye but they obviously stick up just a bit. The Ruger did not mind it but the Uberti revolvers I had out yesterday hated the extra height. All set off the primers though.

Just thought I would post this here.

I obviously do not suggest doing this or anything outside of whats in the book for that matter but I think these will be okay to use in my Rugers on my home range. I was sure dreading taking about 200+ rounds of 45 Colt.

This can also be a reminder to check and double check everything bought. I thought this was an unopened case of LPP but somewhere, someone put those packs of LRP in there to top off this case and I didn't catch it. Should have but didn't.

"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1211
Re: Ooops
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 11:52:01 AM »
I think you'd be fine shooting them in your Rugers if less than max loads.  I guess it has more headspace than the Uberti.  If you sit suspected high-primer rounds upright on a very flat surface (mirror or flat table top) they will rock a little if you bump the surface a bit.

If you know the person you got them from, I would definitely mention it to him!  Also, Large Rifle Primers have been much harder to find lately than any other primer, so if you have any left I bet you could very easily trade them to a rifle shooter for something you want (assuming you don't have any rifles that use LRP yourself, but you have a lot of guns so you might!).

You say you should have caught it, which is true since we always need to be vigilant about details in reloading, but if the color scheme of the sleeves were the same as the pistol primers, I could very easily see myself doing the same thing!  Glad you only loaded 200. 

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 695
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 08:15:32 PM »
I think you'd be fine shooting them in your Rugers if less than max loads.  I guess it has more headspace than the Uberti.  If you sit suspected high-primer rounds upright on a very flat surface (mirror or flat table top) they will rock a little if you bump the surface a bit.

If you know the person you got them from, I would definitely mention it to him!  Also, Large Rifle Primers have been much harder to find lately than any other primer, so if you have any left I bet you could very easily trade them to a rifle shooter for something you want (assuming you don't have any rifles that use LRP yourself, but you have a lot of guns so you might!).

You say you should have caught it, which is true since we always need to be vigilant about details in reloading, but if the color scheme of the sleeves were the same as the pistol primers, I could very easily see myself doing the same thing!  Glad you only loaded 200.

Yeah, the sleeves are nearly identical other than the wording large rifle or large rifle.

I just picked up a 1886 in 45-70 so I will keep the few that were mixed in there. about 300 or 400 primers. Nearly half a box which I used up 200 of them.  ;D

Glad I caught it on the 200 or so mark also.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:07:30 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com