Special Interests - Groups & Societies > BROW

Pedersoli Pecussion Sharps

(1/1)

Tubac:
I just purchased a Pedersoli percussion Sharps sporting rifle in .54cal. Included in the deal were 20 machined brass cartridges. These are similar to the brass cartridges that Dixie sells for Gallagher Carbines, but much thicker brass. The Pedersoli handbook lists 80 grains as the max for the .54 calibre.
Thes cartridges hold 47 grains of FFG, this seems like a light load of powder for a .54 calibre. Has anyone any thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Tubac

Fox Creek Kid:
That's because 99% of the people who buy these rifles are in the NSSA and use them for clay pigeon shoots at 50 yds. and aren't trying to hit a Reb at nigh onto a mile.  ;)

Tubac:
So for long distances, i should makeup paper cartridges.
Would you recommend starting at 60 grains of FFG. If this is not the right forum for this dsicussion, could you pleaase direct me to the proper forum.
Thanks.
Tubac

Advertising:

geo:
i have a pedersoli .54 percussion sharps. i use the full monty load of 90 gr. of black powder or pyrodex when shooting the ring tail bullets. otherwise i have key holing problems. that big slug needs some ommmmffff behind it to engage the rifling and to stabilize. i could get more powder in the chamber using a .54 round ball but i think that one would have to play with the powder charges because the big charges strip the ball from the rifling. i had only mediocure accuracy with the round balls. with the ring tails i can stack the holes on top on one another or use the same hole several times the sharps is that accurate (this is at 100 yds. - a close range for the sharps). use cci top hat caps for best ignition. if you don't have a preference for powder remember pyrodex can be harder to ignite than black powder. good luck. geo.

Grapeshot:
Tubac,

I have a Shiloh .50 Cal. Percussion Sharps I bought from Dixie Gun Works some twenty five years ago.  I found that a 10 grain charge of ffffg in the bottom of the paper cartridge or that brass cartridge you have, and fill the rest of the cartridge with Pyrodex, topped off by the bullet of your choice will get you good accuracy and ignite even that Pyrodex stuff.

I also found that a hollow based minnie bullet will work better than a solid lead slug in my Sharps.  Your experience may varry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version