• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
TWIST
« on: January 13, 2023, 11:18:40 AM »
50 95  1 in 24
45 60   1 in 22
45 75   ?? don't own one
40 60   1 in 22

I measured each of these several times. The Ubert website states a 1 in 40 twist for the 50 95. I don't have any Uberti specs for the other '76 calibers.

Hardly the express twist that the rifle was designed for!
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: TWIST
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 11:28:23 AM »
The Uberti bore/groove/twist chart on Cimarron's website actually says 1 in 48" for the 50-95. 20" for 45-75 and 45-60, and 40" for 40-60.

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/bore-groove-twist

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 12:06:26 PM »
The Uberti bore/groove/twist chart on Cimarron's website actually says 1 in 48" for the 50-95. 20" for 45-75 and 45-60, and 40" for 40-60.

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/bore-groove-twist
That isn't what they measure in real time. It would be nice if they actually were what they say.
www.fowlingguns.com

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:54:33 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 01:08:10 PM »
Yeah, those specs have been online a long time.  I wonder if Uberti's twists were always off, or if they used to be what they say and then changed at some point.  I've heard 44-40 shooters complain of the twist being other than the spec as well, either that or the spec is way off of what originals were, I forget.

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 02:37:25 PM »
Yeah, those specs have been online a long time.  I wonder if Uberti's twists were always off, or if they used to be what they say and then changed at some point.  I've heard 44-40 shooters complain of the twist being other than the spec as well, either that or the spec is way off of what originals were, I forget.
The specs are WAY off what the originals are.
  I suppose it's quite possible Uberti has used several different twists over the years.
www.fowlingguns.com

Offline ATCDoktor

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 06:16:57 PM »
Both my Uberti Presidio and my Chaparral 50/95 short rifle rates of twist measure 1:48”.

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023, 05:18:02 PM »
Both my Uberti Presidio and my Chaparral 50/95 short rifle rates of twist measure 1:48”.
Did you actually measure those yourself or just read the info from the Uberti website?
www.fowlingguns.com

Offline ATCDoktor

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2023, 09:30:01 PM »
Did you actually measure those yourself or just read the info from the Uberti website?

I wouldn’t have posted their twist rates if I hadn’t measured them myself.

My Chaparral demonstrated horrible accuracy initially and measuring the rate of twist was one the first tests I did in trouble shooting the issue.

Turned out my bullets were a little too small in diameter and way too soft and were stripping (not engaging) the rifling.

Before I even shot my Presidio I slugged the bore and measured the rate of twist.

So yeah, I know what my barrels rates of twist are.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2023, 09:41:41 PM »

Roosterman are you certain sure you have not bomboozled yourself in the measuring process? I find it odd you are getting exactly half the specified twist (1:24 vs 1:48)
that would equate to interpreting a half turn of the rod as a full turn - easy enough to do.  I have no intent to be insulting here - if you choose to take it that way ....sorry thats not my problem .

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2023, 09:53:28 PM »
for the record
my Uberti 45/75 barrel twist checks out at 1:20 just like it says in the catalog
I feed it blackpowder with a HDPE wad over and boolits of 335, 405, 460 grain - the latter is a pointy nose boolit loaded long in the case and single shotted
seems to like fattish boolits and I size em .460 or load un sized + 1thou
this barrel does not shoot at all well with .458 boolits

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2023, 08:42:18 AM »
Roosterman are you certain sure you have not bomboozled yourself in the measuring process? I find it odd you are getting exactly half the specified twist (1:24 vs 1:48)
that would equate to interpreting a half turn of the rod as a full turn - easy enough to do.  I have no intent to be insulting here - if you choose to take it that way ....sorry thats not my problem .
Yes, I understand how to measure twist, or at least I think I do. Tightly patched cleaning rod that is marked on one side with a sharpie made line full length. Insert the rod and push it down until the line comes all the way back around to start. Mark that spot. Remove the  rod and measure from the end of the jag to the mark. That is your twist.   Is there something I'm not aware of?
www.fowlingguns.com

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2023, 08:44:13 AM »
I can look down the barrel in these guns and see there is more than one turn in the length of the barrel...... ???
www.fowlingguns.com

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2023, 01:08:08 AM »
Yes, I understand how to measure twist, or at least I think I do. Tightly patched cleaning rod that is marked on one side with a sharpie made line full length. Insert the rod and push it down until the line comes all the way back around to start. Mark that spot. Remove the  rod and measure from the end of the jag to the mark. That is your twist.   Is there something I'm not aware of?

nope ! Sounds like all good to me ----- we might get an inch or two off doin this but not gonna go half or double.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2023, 01:15:01 AM »
I can look down the barrel in these guns and see there is more than one turn in the length of the barrel...... ???

despite the fact that Uberti is tellin us lies in their paperwork (and needs their butt kickin for that) you do realise this is to our advantage?

My 20" twist barrel shoots that variety of boolit weights just fine - something you would not get with original twists in the other models?

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2023, 08:55:09 AM »
despite the fact that Uberti is tellin us lies in their paperwork (and needs their butt kickin for that) you do realise this is to our advantage?

My 20" twist barrel shoots that variety of boolit weights just fine - something you would not get with original twists in the other models?
Lots of folks are fans of heavier bullets. I like shooting express type bullets. They go fast and flat. I can't see well enough to shoot long distance so light bullets are good for me. I'm shooting a 330gr bullet in my 50-95, a 300gr in my 45-60 and will probably end up shooting a 265gr bullet in my 40-60 when I get the chance to shoot it. So, the twist in these uberti guns is enough of a compromise to shoot light bullets too.
 Possibly Uberti has been changing twists as they source their barrels. They might not even be aware of a change.
www.fowlingguns.com

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2023, 01:46:17 PM »
Every time I see this topic heading in all capital letters, I think of this:

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2023, 03:16:51 PM »
Sorry, we don't have TWIST in Iowa! :P
www.fowlingguns.com

Offline DrummerBoy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2023, 09:48:49 PM »
Hey Roosterman, DrummerBoy here: your dope on those barrels is darn close to what I got! Now, I was at a gun show this week in Pensacola to speak with a gunsmith about my proposed course of action…he had an old Uberti barrel in 50-95 with real slow twist that he(long story) discarded…you CAN look down the barrel and see that long loopy twist…my Presidio not only LOOKS way faster it MEASURES faster.
Either we’re both bamboozled…or not…
Semper Fi,
DB
PS I’m saying “darn close” instead of exactly cause those patches are bound to slip some…

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2023, 05:19:07 AM »
Lots of folks are fans of heavier bullets. I like shooting express type bullets. They go fast and flat. I can't see well enough to shoot long distance so light bullets are good for me. I'm shooting a 330gr bullet in my 50-95, a 300gr in my 45-60 and will probably end up shooting a 265gr bullet in my 40-60 when I get the chance to shoot it. So, the twist in these uberti guns is enough of a compromise to shoot light bullets too.
 Possibly Uberti has been changing twists as they source their barrels. They might not even be aware of a change.

When I got my 45/75 I was told they were a Pedersoli barrel - thought that was good - it looks like one and shoots like one. Beautiful internal finish and the slight bit of choke towards the muzzle they talk about. That gun was ordered in 2014, plenty of time for changes since then. 

I have a Chiappa 45/70 (1886 model) not quite as nice inside as the Uberti and it fouls a little more easily on a blackpowder string but shoots just as good groups

Have read some horror stories of bad barrels on Italian lever guns - both mine are about as good as it gets.   

Offline Little Dalton

• Top Active Citizen
  • -ad regem-
    • Axe & Anvil
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2023, 07:58:42 AM »
Thought I'd chime in again and just give a little reminder about this place. Heard about it from a guy online who used them to get his Uberti .50-95 rebarreled. They seem to have a stellar reputation for quality. Not cheap, but if a fella wants a good rebarrel...

https://www.winchesterbarrels.com/

Jordan Goodwin, Blacksmith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com