Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Winchester Model 1886

Should I or shouldn't I .... ?

(1/4) > >>

PJ Hardtack:
Someone wants to trade me his NIB Browning '86 carbine for my Browning '86 rifle. I'm tempted as it was the carbine I really wanted, but they were unobtainable at the time.

I enjoy shooting the rifle out to 200 yds but I find it a bit much to carry in the woods hunting. Whadya think ... ?

'86 carbine tale .....

Following a BPCR practice with Sharps our Buffalo guns, someone produced a Browning '86 carbine. A volunteer wearing a 'sissy pad' was offered three sil loads (525 gr/64 gr BP) and he gamely touched them off from the bench.

After the last shot, he lowered his head to the bench and was still. He was tapped on the shoulder and asked - "Are you alright?" Answer - "Yes, I'm just trying hard not to cry."

Methinks an "Express" load with 350 gr bullets might have been a better idea, 420 gr at the most.

King Medallion:
My thought. If you really want the src, get it, but get a few Benjamin's to boot, cuz they are worth more. I have made a couple mod's to my src, added a couple inches to the stock, replaced the sights. I put on a semi buckhorn rear as I just didn't like that ladder. but then the thing shot real high. So my smith simply made a brass blade for the front, as it is not dovetailed, but rather pinned. Simple really. Don't know why it's not dovetailed, but it is what it is. Still a heavy gun to tote around in the wood's, and will take a beating alot better than the shooter, just like the above story states.

larryo1:
I guess I really shoudn't comment on what you guys are up to as the only '86's I use are originals.  One of which is a very nice light-weight '33 Takedown.  Now that one is a wizz to use in timber, etc.  The others are 40-82's and 45-90's.  I have heard that that caliber is available again from some Jap outfit.  I have a relative that is looking into getting one as brass is available again.  I have seen pictures of it and it is a nice looking rifle. One thing about any '86 is that they can pretty well stand up to more than you can handle without any pain--only to the shooter!
Well I guess that I have said enough here.

Advertising:

PJ Hardtack:
What bullet weights are you shooting in your '86 SRC? At what velocity?

--- Quote from: King Medallion on August 17, 2018, 07:40:57 AM ---My thought. If you really want the src, get it, but get a few Benjamin's to boot, cuz they are worth more. I have made a couple mod's to my src, added a couple inches to the stock, replaced the sights. I put on a semi buckhorn rear as I just didn't like that ladder. but then the thing shot real high. So my smith simply made a brass blade for the front, as it is not dovetailed, but rather pinned. Simple really. Don't know why it's not dovetailed, but it is what it is. Still a heavy gun to tote around in the wood's, and will take a beating alot better than the shooter, just like the above story states.

--- End quote ---

King Medallion:
I read it wrong, the rifle is worth more than the src.   I use 350 cast and/jacketed and 405 cast bullets. I don't have a chroney so I don't know what velocity is. I don't load heavy, I can't hunt with it here in Illinois so I load it for fun shooting. And truth be told, I haven't even shot it in a couple years, been playing with my 76 mostly. And even then not nearly enough. But I do get it out and look at it on occasion. Me, I'd keep the rifle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version