Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Cutting Edge

Somewhat obscure: Rodgers & Sons ink eraser

(1/1)

'Monterrey' Jack Brass:
All,

Pictured below is an example of a period ‘ink eraser’. Though it may look like a surgical tool it isn’t. Its intended purpose is to correct errors when writing with an ink pen by scraping the paper.

The eraser pictured below is of steel with horn handle made by Rodgers & Sons, cutlers and is marked ‘ER’ indicating it was made at some point soon after the death of Queen Victoria.

There is a similar type eraser with identical blade style shown on page 86 of the 13th Annual Illustrated Busiest House in America catalog (1889) and one that has more of a small, curved knife blade shown on page 142 of the Bloomingdale Brothers Spring & Summer catalog (1886).

The next time you’re out looking for needed items at antique stores keep an eye out for such erasers as what may look like an old surgical tool might not be and could be a nice new addition to your cutlery collection.

YMH&OS,

Brass

Forty Rod:
I have one of those that belonged to my Mom.  I thought it was a cuticle tool or something along that line.  Mine has an ivory-looking handle that I suspect is celluloid.  I'll have to find it and see what name is on it.

Thanks for the ray of enlightenment.

River City John:
You're right, Jack, the one I have looks just like a surgeon's scalpel, but with a rosewood handle pinned to the steel with brass pins.

I'll post a pic over the weekend.

My Grandfather had it squirreled away in his hobby drawer and used it for years as a stamp tool to carefully seperate stamps from albums where moisture had welded hinged stamps to the page.

RCJ

Advertising:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version