Author Topic: Old Uberti 1860 value  (Read 3365 times)

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Old Uberti 1860 value
« on: October 12, 2017, 04:42:03 PM »
I just came across an older Uberti 1860 at the LGS.  The question centers around that the gun is definitely made by Uberti but the dealer/shipper was Iver Johnsons.  Judt how old does that make it?

The shop wants $279 for this piece.  It is in nice condition, generally tight, but needs a new wedge.  What do you think of this price when brand new is ~$350 in most places?  What would you value the gun at, knowing it requires a $25 wedge.

Thanks,

BRS
Black River Smith

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Old Uberti 1860 value
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 05:46:01 PM »
Iver Johnson Started importing Uberti 1860's about 1974-77 ...they were in the white and finished @ the old Iver Johnson in Fitchburg, Massachusetts.
At that time 1977 , Lou Imperato leased the factory and entered into an agreement with COLT to spearhead Colt Second Generation black powder series in 1977 that was the end of the Iver Johnson roll stamped guns , and the start of the Black Powder so call Black box 2nd Gen guns & the 3rd Gen. Signature Series guns.
 Lou Imperato is also the founder of Henry Repeating Arms .... Lou passed & his son  Anthony Imperato runs it today.

So the Iver Johnson guns had about 3 year run , and a kinship with Colt/Uberti's

In its day,  Iver Johnson made Bicycles , Motorcycles, and guns....during WW2 they made Garand's, M1 carbine's and 1911's 

I say "if" its as you say " nice condition" ...bore is bright , and functions well .... see if they'll take $250 cash.
Fit the new wedge & check the Arbor fit... and you did good ! 

I'd probably buy myself .

as a side bar and a bit of sad history

President William McKinley was assassinated with an Iver Johnson .32 caliber Safety Automatic revolver.

The attempted assassination of Franklin D. Roosevelt & murder of Chicago Mayor Anton Cermak with a U S Revolver Company .32 revolver, a subsidiary of Iver Johnson.

An Iver Johnson 22 revolver was used to assassinate Robert Kennedy.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 07:11:43 PM »
Thanks for the history of the Iver Johnsons affect on this firearm.  I did not know they were the start of the signature series.  But knowing that now, I could see the reasoning for the higher price since this is maybe the precursor to the Colt series and could have been built to similiar specs under Iver Johnsons.

I will take your advise on pricing.

I knew about the early IJ history because I have a few of their pieces but not the last or ending history of their name and business.
Black River Smith

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:41:47 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415