Author Topic: Vintage Hunting and NCOWS  (Read 401036 times)

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
Re: Vintage Hunting and NCOWS
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2012, 06:36:43 AM »
Cliff
You need to slip your 44wcf rifle out to the woods and lay a few down .That's what we mean by SMOKED venison  ;D ;D ;D

Rowdy, I'm really thinking of doing this in November at one of my hunting spots.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #101 on: October 03, 2012, 09:34:36 AM »
Cliff
I think this will be something you will enjoy . Just you and your trusty ole 44wcf . Now don't forget those photo's .

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2012, 03:06:42 PM »
Rowdy, Wonder how my Little Big Horn 45/70 Trapdoor carbine would work? Loaded with 55 grains 2f and a 405 bullett Tj  ;D
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Advertising

« Reply #103 on: Today at 12:06:33 AM »

Offline buckskin billy

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
    • the buck rub
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2012, 11:54:09 PM »
if i'm carrying my muzzleloader or my henry rifle i carry one of  two 3rd generation colt 1851 navies. if i carry my c.sharps or model '66 i carry one of two open top 44 colts. i have yet to make meat with my model 66, maybe this year. i got a blackpowdered frame peacemaker reproduction i carry with my winchester '76. this season will be my first season to hunt with the '76 courious to see how it does

" I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"
-Ted Nugent-

if it walks, crawls, slithers or leaves a track i can tan it

http://thebuckrub.proboards.com/index.cgi?

http://thebuffalorunners.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2012, 12:04:17 PM »
Buckskin
Hunting season is getting close .  ;D ;D ;D I was out shooting my 1873's yesterday . I was trying a .429 and a .430 in my Uberti rifles
I was using Swiss BP at 50 yards they produced a tighter group . But my USFA prewar won't handle the larger bullet . But my  SAA USFA they are just fine . I will need to slug the barrel of the prewar to determine what size bullet it needs ? May have to open the cylinder a bit to accommodate the larger bullets ? a 200 grain bullet traveling at 1320 fps is not a bad woods round ,but with that said it's about shot placement . I also use a 1876 in 45-60 it shoots pretty good but it's HEAVY to lug around . Hope everyone is planning on hunting this year . 

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2012, 07:13:56 PM »
Rowdy, is that 2 or 3f swiss and how many grains? I've shot big lube bullets in both .430 and .429 in my Uberti yellow boy and it doesn't seem to matter with KIK or Goex 2f. 

I know a many of whitetail have been taken with less powerful rounds I've just always said there is no such thing as too dead so usually hunt with more gun than necessary.

I put a stand in a new spot covering an area I've been watching a lot of deer the last two seasons but couldn't get shots for the heavy cover. I'm hoping for some bow range shots so with my 66 I could actually shoot them in the head on a close shot. No meat loss and no tracking on those shots  ;D

Johnson County Rangers

Offline buckskin billy

• Top Active Citizen
    • the buck rub
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2012, 10:40:37 PM »
i agree that shot placement is everything. with my black powder loads i aim high on the shoulder. that usually breaks there back and the hunt is over. and i can eat right to the bullet hole, with soft lead bullets.
 that little spike i shot last year with my henry was less than 10 yards and for some reason i pulled  and hit him behind the shoulder taking out his lungs, he ran but not far and that 255 grain 45 colt bullet destroyed the rib cage on both sides.
 my 76 is in 45-75 caliber and is made by chapperal. so far i aint been to impress with its quality. got a heavy trigger pull gotta get that tended to
-Ted Nugent-

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2012, 08:58:51 AM »
Buckskin Billy
The season is changing . The leaves are falling and we are ready for ol Jack Frost . Jack Frost is our buddy because he takes care of the skitters  ;D .Hope the weather at season time is cool instead of warm . In the past we have had some warm hunting season which ain't great for hunting .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2012, 11:35:19 AM »
Buckskin Billy
The season is changing . The leaves are falling and we are ready for ol Jack Frost . Jack Frost is our buddy because he takes care of the skitters  ;D .Hope the weather at season time is cool instead of warm . In the past we have had some warm hunting season which ain't great for hunting .
[/quo

Cliff
I am working with 3f , will keep you posted on the results .te]

Offline buckskin billy

• Top Active Citizen
    • the buck rub
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2012, 10:19:30 PM »
its starting to cool off some down here. we had a mountain man rendezvous this pass weekend and it got cold at night with the wind blowing like it was. i could feel my neck starting to swell
-Ted Nugent-

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2012, 06:17:17 PM »
Howdy
Today was a perfect day , We went to our Hunting cabin cooked steaks and shoot all day .I shot my 44wcf which was loaded with Swiss BP . I worked with .428 ,.429 , .430 bullets . Worked with several different loads of 3f . Shot at 50 yards and 100 yards also .
I shot 40  + rounds before running a patch . It still wasn't that bad ,  I used 2 patches and went back to shooting . At the end of the day the .429 seemed to out shine the other bullets . None of the bullets shot bad . I slugged my rifles last night and the bore slugged .429 so you would think the .430 would work the best . But the .430 did shoot a good group at 50 but not as good at 100 . The .429 gave the best at 100 yards and was still good at 50 . Now we are still testing so when we get the final results will let you know . Oh and the Steaks were Excellent .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2012, 10:07:36 AM »
Howdy
The weather is Excellent . Next weekend is muzzle loading season .Will take my ole trusty smoke pole out to try and take some fresh venison . Maybe NEXT year the laws will change letting hunters have a choice . It would be nice  to use a 1873 Winchester with a black powder load in early BP season . What's you opinion on this should we be able to use a black powder cartridge gun in the muzzle loader season  ? Don't forget that most of the modern muzzle loaders are the new fangled in lines which are scoped out 200+ yard rifles .

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2012, 02:28:01 PM »
Howdy
The weather is Excellent . Next weekend is muzzle loading season .Will take my ole trusty smoke pole out to try and take some fresh venison . Maybe NEXT year the laws will change letting hunters have a choice . It would be nice  to use a 1873 Winchester with a black powder load in early BP season . What's you opinion on this should we be able to use a black powder cartridge gun in the muzzle loader season  ? Don't forget that most of the modern muzzle loaders are the new fangled in lines which are scoped out 200+ yard rifles .

I cant see it ever going that way because the conservation officers wouldn't be able to prove what type of powder is in the cartridges unless they make you take them apart or shoot them all.

The argument would be you can reload the cartridge gun so much faster. It's true I can shoot my inline muzzleloader with a scope at great distances but its pretty much a one shot deal at a deer.

Personally I don't have much of an opinion since with the modern inline scoped muzzleloaders it has nearly defeated the whole purpose of the muzzle loading season anyway. Other than the follow up shot there isn't a lot of disadvantage under most shooting situations for Kentucky dear hunting.

I do hunt a couple farms where 200+ shots are very common and close to 400 is not an unusual but most of my hunting spots are under 100 yard shots.

You could scope a 45-70 with BP and handle most of the same shots we do with modern magnum rounds.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Carr Creek Kid

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2012, 10:59:02 PM »
I took my TTN 12 ga 1878 with 26" barrels out for fall turkey. I'd had the barrels sent off to Colonial Arms for tubes, they did a great job. I'm running a full in the right barrel and a modified in the left, so far so good.  I got a decent sized tom in the spring, but no luck this fall. I did see a bunch of bushy tails while out turkey hunting so I tried a run at them the next morning with my uncle, we did alright.
Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box.

Offline buckskin billy

• Top Active Citizen
    • the buck rub
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2012, 11:36:12 PM »
Howdy

louisiana did away with muzzleloading season and now have whats called a primitive season, allowing you to use any single shot rifle with a center hammer excluding the ruger no.1. you are limmited on calibre choices tho. such as .444 marlin and of course the almighty 45-70. you cant give a muzzleloader away down here any more. most people around these parts get a h&r handi rifle with a plastic stock with a 20 inch barrel and shoot hormandy leverlution bullets through this 6 pound carbine and cry cuz it kicks them to hard.
 it doesnt seem to primitive to me to take a plastic stock gun with a leupole scope smokeless powdered bullets with jacket rubber tip bullets out on a primitive hunt, and the locals call me weird
-Ted Nugent-

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2012, 08:33:07 AM »
Thats the problem, they try primitive and it winds up being more modern guns.

The more I think about it I hope they just leave things the way they are here in Kentucky. If a person wants to use BP in a cartridge we have all of modern gun season to do that. I use a handgun a lot of times then and a 44wcf black powder round is up to the task with a good hit. A 45-70 will do anything a 7 mag will do. Dead is dead.

My more traditional hunts during modern gun season usually involve me carrying my old trusty model 94 in 32 special. It is smokeless though but still is within the NCOWS timeline.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
Howdy
Next Saturday is muzzle loading season . I have a Pennsylvania Hunter I have used since 1989 . I like Hunting with that rifle because that is how I THINK muzzle loaders should look ? But this is my spin , but if the next hunter wants to use the newly designed ML that's his choice . I think Vintage Hunting offers a chance to get back to a simple time  .

CarrsCreekKid
That was a fine mess of Squirrels you had there . Did you fry them or use them in Pot Pie , either way they are Excellent . Looks like you had a Wonderful Vintage Hunt . Thanks for the picture . Keep em coming .

Offline buckskin billy

• Top Active Citizen
    • the buck rub
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2012, 03:58:31 PM »
cck that is a tasty looking mess of squirrels. i just bought me a 26 inch barrel 1878 like yours. i'm rat holing money right now for some brass shells and one of those rcbs shot gun dies. i want to do the same as you did. get choke tubes and add it in as a regular hunting gun.  we start rabbit hunting after deer season closes so i would like to get me a pile of cotton tails and cane cuters with it this year. i would like to load some black powder shells with some buck shot and see what i can do with it deer hunting
-Ted Nugent-

Offline Carr Creek Kid

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2012, 08:23:52 PM »
They got fried up Rowdy! 

Buckskin: I'm really liking the TTN so far. Colonial did an awesome job on the tubes, I would recommend them if you're gettin' it done. I'm going to get me some brass shells also one of these days. I used federal game loads in 5's on that hunt. It's fun working the hammers and thinking about which barrel to use at different distances (little more involved than I'm used to). I hit one at a good 45 yards, I probably shouldn't have taken the shot but I misjudged it a little. I used the full barrel and one shot did him in, he was dead when he hit the ground. Hunting is good here in the Missouri Ozarks this time of year. Hope everyone has a good deer season this year!   
Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2012, 11:02:43 AM »
Howdy
I had a TTN that the good fools at Colonial Arms put tubes in . They did an Excellent job . and that way you have a big selection of tubes to choice from . They offer Excellent Turkey tubes . The TTN with the 26 in barrels are an Excellent turkey gun . And with the Vintage shotgun shells those turkeys don't have a chance.

Got a chance to shoot my ole smokepole , had to double patch it to get the accuracy ? I was using the TC .15 patches and a.490 round ball . Has anyone tried the .500 round balls ? Heck they even have a .509 round ball ? Track of the Wolf have lots of muzzle loading stuff .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com