Author Topic: magazine tube keeps inching out  (Read 3261 times)

Offline 44 centerfire

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
magazine tube keeps inching out
« on: October 08, 2020, 11:03:52 PM »
I have searched here but couldn't find discussion on it........tube screw is tearing up the barrel and pixxing me off.

The Rossi 20 inch....early Interarms model 65 SRC.......no mention of a 92 anywhere. It has no saddle ring. I bought it new, still have origional box, with a barrel band front sight. I had gun apart a drilled screw hole a little deeper, but it won't hold. No, I didn't drill too deep.....lol ;D

I put steves gunzz kit in it....44 mag. and improved the action and gate tension.

I read somewhere of doing something inside the forearm to stop movement or welding the cartridge tube to the receiver. Like I said I am not happy with the tube movement. Would like to read info first before I try ether....or solution.  I don't know if my little 110 mig welder would be hot enough or too hot. 

Looking for direction here....I will not send it off anywhere, so it looks like I'm elected to butcher it up myself....just remembered Cast Boolits forum.....will also try that place for some info....thanks :)

44centerfire

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: magazine tube keeps inching out
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 03:24:19 AM »
I have searched here but couldn't find discussion on it........tube screw is tearing up the barrel and pixxing me off.

The Rossi 20 inch....early Interarms model 65 SRC.......no mention of a 92 anywhere. It has no saddle ring. I bought it new, still have origional box, with a barrel band front sight. I had gun apart a drilled screw hole a little deeper, but it won't hold. No, I didn't drill too deep.....lol ;D

I put steves gunzz kit in it....44 mag. and improved the action and gate tension.

I read somewhere of doing something inside the forearm to stop movement or welding the cartridge tube to the receiver. Like I said I am not happy with the tube movement. Would like to read info first before I try ether....or solution.  I don't know if my little 110 mig welder would be hot enough or too hot. 

Looking for direction here....I will not send it off anywhere, so it looks like I'm elected to butcher it up myself....just remembered Cast Boolits forum.....will also try that place for some info....thanks :)

44centerfire

I have a good fix for the rifles with the forend cap ....
 carbines not so easy -- they have three points
1) screw through the barrel band on the forend wood needs to be a neat engagement in the slot through top of magazine tube and underside of barrel - you may be able to enlarge that screw and its groove slightly

2) screw through the front barrel band --- same as the rear one needs to be neat fit into the groove and again may be able to enlarge it slightly - this band needs to pull up tight on the magazine tube when the screw is turned home if it dont a piece of steel shim a couple thou thick might help.

3) screw through the end cap into the underside of barrel - I believe I might have seen the same info you did - think the guy cut a dovetail where you drilled then he filled the dovetail with a piece of hardened tool steel or similar that had a larger hole drilled into it then the plug screw was made maybe from a grade 8 machine screw that fitted neat into the hardened piece in the dovetail - you could probably go as large as quarter inch with that screw - I think the dovetail insert in the barrel is key to it (barrel steel is tough but fairly soft - easy enough to booger that drilled hole but a piece of good steel hardened - gona take a lot more impact) 

Material to make a new magazine tube is easy found - go in the haberdashery shop (spotlight store downunder) and buy a length of 16mm chinese curtain rod - its plastic coated - scrape/sand that off and its OD is exactemo right size (a little thin in the wall but it works ok - cost only a few bucks)

I would NOT weld anything - you need to be able to take this apart.                     

Offline 44 centerfire

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 11:17:49 PM »
 Well, I have seen a picture of the magazine tube welded....but can't remember where...and also info of something done inside the forearm stock to anchor down the tube.

Thought maybe posting here that someone would have the location of the info that I'm looking for. ???

Haven't been to Cast Boolits forum yet....been busy......thanks

44centerfire

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:30:11 AM »

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 11:31:29 PM »
Well, I have seen a picture of the magazine tube welded....but can't remember where...and also info of something done inside the forearm stock to anchor down the tube.

Thought maybe posting here that someone would have the location of the info that I'm looking for. ???

Haven't been to Cast Boolits forum yet....been busy......thanks

44centerfire
this is my fix for a rifle forearm its a collar brazed to the tube with a taper that engages the corresponding taper in the forend cap .....cant do it on a carbine with barrel band[/img]

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 11:37:31 PM »
this is my fix for a rifle forearm its a collar brazed to the tube with a taper that engages the corresponding taper in the forend cap .....cant do it on a carbine with barrel band[/img]

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 11:46:29 PM »

3) screw through the end cap into the underside of barrel - I believe I might have seen the same info you did - think the guy cut a dovetail where you drilled then he filled the dovetail with a piece of hardened tool steel or similar that had a larger hole drilled into it then the plug screw was made maybe from a grade 8 machine screw that fitted neat into the hardened piece in the dovetail - you could probably go as large as quarter inch with that screw - I think the dovetail insert in the barrel is key to it (barrel steel is tough but fairly soft - easy enough to booger that drilled hole but a piece of good steel hardened - gona take a lot more impact) 

this is the best answer for a carbine but the other two things I posted should be done as well - I saw the pics posted but didnt save them (not a problem Could do it from memory easy enough)

Start stoking a Rossi with big 45 colt loads (or worse still the 454 casul model) magazine tube is gonna be a problem at some point unless you take corrective action .
Plenty of stories about blokes tearing the magazine off of model 71's that were converted to Alaskan or 50/110.

If you can keep the barrel bands dead tight on a carbine and they fit neat you be ok but as soon as the tiniest amount of movement starts --every shot makes it worse

Offline 44 centerfire

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 10:25:48 PM »
but as soon as the tiniest amount of movement starts --every shot makes it worse
[/quote]

You got that right greyhawk.....

44centerfire

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 12:15:34 AM »
but as soon as the tiniest amount of movement starts --every shot makes it worse

You got that right greyhawk.....

44centerfire

Think about that front end dovetail - its a bit of work but would make a huge difference
1) cut a dovetail where the drilled hole is now - you would want to leave at least half an inch of barrel ahead of the dovetail slot.
2) a piece of good quality steel make a dovetail piece to fill the slot neat
3) drill a hole into the dovetail filler piece 3/16 inch? diameter 1/4 inch would be about max
4) make a new screw with a blank stub end thats a neat fit in that hole - I would use a grade 8 machine screw for that and turn the end down
5) needs a new magazine tube plug with an enlarged screw thread tapped through it and that needs straight and true

If your barrel bands are loose at the moment get some shim steel and pack them till they come up tight with the screw   

Offline 44 centerfire

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 09:28:07 PM »
Think about that front end dovetail - its a bit of work but would make a huge difference
1) cut a dovetail where the drilled hole is now - you would want to leave at least half an inch of barrel ahead of the dovetail slot.
2) a piece of good quality steel make a dovetail piece to fill the slot neat
3) drill a hole into the dovetail filler piece 3/16 inch? diameter 1/4 inch would be about max
4) make a new screw with a blank stub end thats a neat fit in that hole - I would use a grade 8 machine screw for that and turn the end down
5) needs a new magazine tube plug with an enlarged screw thread tapped through it and that needs straight and true

If your barrel bands are loose at the moment get some shim steel and pack them till they come up tight with the screw   

HUH ::)....Lighten up here....I ain't no machinist or a gunsmith, and you keep talking end cap on your rifle and my barrel bands aren't loose on my carbine.

Your talking to a guy that throws a mean rope on horseback and does aerial sixgun shooting.....but I ain't no gunsmith now I tell ya :P....I'm turning the page on this saga and pouring a little Bulleit Rye to get a handle on all of this malarkey.....

44centerfire

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 05:57:50 AM »
HUH ::)....Lighten up here....I ain't no machinist or a gunsmith, and you keep talking end cap on your rifle and my barrel bands aren't loose on my carbine.

Your talking to a guy that throws a mean rope on horseback and does aerial sixgun shooting.....but I ain't no gunsmith now I tell ya :P....I'm turning the page on this saga and pouring a little Bulleit Rye to get a handle on all of this malarkey.....

44centerfire

If I lived a couple hundred mile down the track - I'd fix that thing for ya - you could get me started with a rope - (Aussies dont rope for work - always wanted to do it) - brought a good rope back from a cowboy store in Nebraska for a souvenir - roped a ram with it one time - wrote a story about that "The Recalcitrant Ram" - got him first throw too - friends over there thought the story was a hoot .

Offline 44 centerfire

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 02:49:17 PM »
Uh...Oh...here we go. Congrats on hooping the ram. Reminds me of my billy goat saga.

Long about (how many years ago)...my grandfather, gun trader and hide tanner had a billy goat in a little field (he would chew metal pans in a wad) yep, he sure would  ;D

Now the neighbor had some cows in the field next door. Well, wouldn't you know ole billy went through the woven wire fence into the cow pasture and chased the cows through another fenced in field of corn. Now, my grandfather didn't get around to good and panicked worrying that the cows would get bloated (foundered) eating too much.

So he calls me up. I'm about 17 then and being a cowboy nut offered me cash to truck my standard bred over and rope ole billy. Gramps had already drove his 1951 Buick in the pasture to run him down and was out maneuvered.

When I arrived Gramps trunk was open showing a 94 Win, a.45 SAA, a 12 guage, and a 22 pistol. He said we will stop ole billy one way or another.

So I unloaded my horse and chased that billy goat and I missed him first try.
So I recoiled my lariat, (Gramps sitting on the trunk edge of Buick with his cane) and I'm full bore after that billy goat and caught him right in front of Gramps. My standard bred horse had the back legs skidding to a stop, and I'm half way to the ground when ole billy come to the end of the rope.

Ole billy went straight up and came upside down with the horns stuck in the earth. What show that was. Gramps could hardly believe what just happened. He was so happy.....He paid me $20. Big money to me being a kid.

When people would come to his place for horse trading (guns) that story was told over and over. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Offline 44 centerfire

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 03:01:41 PM »
If I lived a couple hundred mile down the track - I'd fix that thing for ya - you could get me started with a rope - (Aussies dont rope for work - always wanted to do it) - brought a good rope back from a cowboy store in Nebraska for a souvenir - roped a ram with it one time - wrote a story about that "The Recalcitrant Ram" - got him first throw too - friends over there thought the story was a hoot .

By the way, thanks for the offer to come down the track a couple hundred here in Indiana and fix it for me greyhawk...

44centerfire

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 04:50:34 AM »

By the way, thanks for the offer to come down the track a couple hundred here in Indiana and fix it for me greyhawk...

44centerfire

Used to know a bloke in Indiana - lives a couple miles outside of Delphi - visited him on a trip in 2005.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com