Author Topic: December coffee and grub  (Read 7754 times)

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
Re: December coffee and grub
« Reply #100 on: December 24, 2022, 11:24:59 PM »
A Very Merry Christmas to All

Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy
which will be for all the people, for today in the city of David
there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.

Glória in excélsis Deo
et in terra pax homínibus bonae voluntátis.

I have been almost absent on the forum over the last year and a half because we bought a new (to us)
biggerer betterer house a year ago last October!

I spent the ensuing time getting it fixed up to our preferences, then getting Mrs Marvel thru a series of
hospital incidents (successfully) and finally doing a slow motion move of our crap the entire .75 miles up the road.

I Still have to move my workshop,  But we are in!
We are curently up to our butts in boxes,
and are having 5 new friends over for an impromptu Christmas dinner tommorrow!

What a ride!

yhs
prof (I am Not Dead Yet) marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #101 on: December 25, 2022, 06:26:59 AM »
Merry ChristmasCoffee, tea and eggnog are ready.

Over 250 people for Christmas eve service.

Christmas service at 10:30 AM.

'Tis -6 and clear. WC - 23. "Partly cloudy in the morning then becoming mostly cloudy. Some blowing and drifting snow in the morning. Highs 5 to 10 above zero. West wind 10 to 15 mph. Wind chills to 25 below zero."

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #102 on: December 25, 2022, 06:48:42 AM »
Merry Christmas to everyone!!!!

TODAY
SUN 12/25
HIGH 50°F
4% Precip. / 0.00 in acc.
Sunshine and clouds mixed. High around 50F. Winds light and variable.

For those not as fortunate please keep warm and be safe!
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Advertising

« Reply #103 on: Today at 10:23:53 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #103 on: December 25, 2022, 07:08:56 AM »
Good MORNING USA !  ;D and Happy Christmas 2022  :D
We saw 30°F again this morning and overcast.
Our Clone and her guy will be coming in on Tuesday (as he had been Flu-ish, not Covid last week and recovering on Friday) she and "SHE that shall be obeyed" both felt best to error on the side of caution...

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #104 on: December 25, 2022, 10:59:07 AM »
Survived her side of the family yesterday, kid went to friends last night, jut us and animals till later and a friend coming over and then Rita is going to the theater she's helping at.  Running a so called classic. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: December 25, 2022, 03:27:44 PM »
"Every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings "  :)

Its little Ralphy, and his BB gun I cringe  ::)

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: December 26, 2022, 09:01:20 AM »
Morning y'all.
Coffee and tea are hot.

I have the week off from verk.

'Tis -2 and sunny. No wind, finally. High of 15.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: December 26, 2022, 09:58:39 AM »
"Every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings "  :)

Its little Ralphy, and his BB gun I cringe  ::)

Must delete Christmas stuff. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Online Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #108 on: December 26, 2022, 12:36:27 PM »
I used to be in charge of cleaning the floors in our home. Today I was fired. My son and his wife bought us a Robot Vacuum Cleaner for Christmas. I always thought that I did a decent job of vacuuming the carpets and cleaning the floors. Mr. Robot ran for an hour and picked up what I missed. It's actually scary what I missed with our regular Vacuum Cleaner. The dern thing docked itself after itself it was finished showing me up.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOpFCKiXGO9Kvobu_fanAV3_AfnFXitp6uFReqfLv__-h6W09gJkt8pL3orSUN8Hg/photo/AF1QipOkZEGer-xgsv0W45798CMyPIqfVzBvJL5CYL_f?key=ZHpZalZ5M0ZUWUpMc2Q5UHN2Wkw2U2MydS01RzhB

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipONLps3wYUfavaormJrkdDw5extDi9EmtoVzAL_qNZ3deA6xRo5WbVBsNlr_WR1xg/photo/AF1QipMuBBV2SFFDghCb7PCDCNYhDuUsi_lb8rd9CMGe?key=UmV6OXJCU3EwR3ZIME1fVGpmaGZ5ZmI1UEdwWUR3

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2022, 07:58:47 AM »
Morning all.

31 and overcast today, heading for 40.

Not much to report here. Christmas involved a lot more feeding of equestrians than of humans in our house, but that’s pretty normal anyway. Got yesterday off from work and took the opportunity(read: voluntold) to do some cleaning around the house.

Johnny, make sure you don’t leave any popcorn kernels around for the robot dog as they get annoying rattling around in it. I speak from experience.

—TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2022, 08:47:44 AM »
Good MORNING USA !  ;D and Happy Christmas 2022  :D
We saw 30°F again this morning and overcast.
Our Clone and her guy will be coming in on Tuesday (as he had been Flu-ish, not Covid last week and recovering on Friday) she and "SHE that shall be obeyed" both felt best to error on the side of caution...

Things changed, Clone now has the malady that befell her betrothed :( so today's planed day of merriment and mirth has been postponed indefinitely. :(

My wife gave me a nostalgia hotdog (and buns) steamer, which I put to work yesterday for lunch. Steamed to perfection, then added yellow mustard and Sabrett pushcart onion sauce.
It's actually designed to do a dozen hotdogs at a time. but works just as well with a 2-dog noon repass.
I may even do it again today :)

I'm at the Museum tomorrow all day and then again New Year's Eve Day.
Still quite chilly at 44 degrees.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2022, 09:39:56 AM »
Had to take Rita to her new PT job being a sample lady at Costco today., I have to take the kid to work before Rita gets off.  So left on my own with no supervision and an almost full tank of gas, I decided to go on an adventure because I am being left on my own again tomorrow but am staying home and baking.  I want some homemade whole wheat, normally not a problem but Walmart quit carrying the flour I use, it’s a hard red spring wheat from NE Montana brand name Wheat Montana and their Bronze Chief is a 5% protein fine ground whole wheat flour.  For you non-bakers or those who don’t really study the science of it, that will bake a very light and fluff loaf with out having to add white flour.  Your common 4% stone ground aka coarse ground either bakes bricks, or needs about half white flour added.  Also it can cause problems I need not explain.

Well I decide to run to the SW Walmart in town since it was right there close, I’ll risk the problems because I have pills for that and we buy the other stuff needed in bulk at Costco.
I get to Walmart and after cruising the parking lot several times the only handicap spot that came open some little old lady in a big truck got so since the closest one that wasn’t was way out there on the back lot I would try elsewhere.  There is an Aldi’s down the street but they have no mart carts, and I didn’t have a quarter for the other ones so pass on that.  Went to the fancy mall the other way because they have one of those places Yuppies shop that some guy named Joe owns.  Got a handicap spot (too much ice for much walking) and got in and they had a cart, I had to move the ice melt that they had leaning on it, but it had a full charge.

I eased into the store because I knew there were lots of Yuppies in there and they ain’t smart enough to get out of the way of an old man wearing red plaid jammies and a Carhartt coat. (Remember my plans was Walmart when I left home.)  After several near misses (I didn’t care, I can now pass a drug test) I got over to the sugar, spice baking aisle and found they had no whole wheat flour at all and no empty space for it where I could ask them to check the back room knowing from working retail that if they had it then it would be out, but that’s required when you don’t see it.

Made my way back to the front and the Jeep Car thing, decided a mile east there was a Hy Vee, so headed to 40th, turned south, never found my turn and was in a bunch of look alike houses real soon.  Well remembered that the Hy Vee was down on a crick bottom so turned and decided to head north again and find in, got in the damnedest mess of curved roads and switch backs a drunken dozer drive to lay out and was soon lost, sort of, could not see the big medical building on the corner that was my landmark.  Was about to use my phone to get a silver alert started when I realized something and pushed the bookmark with my address on it and a map came up showing the blue dot wasn't at my house but south of 40th and Pine Lake road and if I followed the switchback to the next corner and turn right it would take me back to the Pine Lake Medical Building I was using as a landmark but there was no Hy Vee there.  Hmm, expanded the map and the Hy Vee was a mile north on 40th and Old Cheney Rd. (The street with that name does not go to Cheney but that’s a different story.)  Close handicap space, go in, one mart cart plugged in, unplug, get on with out falling over and turn it on, so dead even the red light won’t come on.

Ok, their loss, I’ll just go to baking goods instead of cruising and maybe buying lots.  Grab a plastic grocery cart (WTH?) and find baking goods and the only whole wheat they have is white whole wheat, a recent development for people who want whole wheat to irritate their colon but not to taste like red wheat whole wheat.  Well dummies, if I didn’t want it to taste like whole wheat I would just use white, it costs a lot less and I have plenty in stock.  So I left the Hy-Vee and headed on east to go to the big Walmart on Nebraska Highway #2, except a couple weeks ago they opened the new South Beltway that will take Nebraska Highway #2 south of Lincoln and hook up with US Highway #77 and now the part of Nebraska Highway #2 that goes through town is now Nebraska Parkway and has also had the signs changed.

Well the SE Walmart had plenty of handicap parking, and plenty of charged mart carts so I commandeered the nearest one and heading to the baking goods, sugar and spice aisle and found they only had red stone ground whole wheat as expected but not the affordable brand the SW Walmart has but it had King Arthur and Bob’s Red Mill with both way over priced and both only 4% protein.  So I was down to one chance left before I went to another of my sources and got either dark or white rye and not stone ground.

So off to the old Hippie Coop that’s been around since the 70’s and has been de-yuppied since the Whole Foods across town opened up.  Got there, the one handicap place was used but still got close and got a push cart, went to the bulk bins and to the sounds of Stairway to Heaven I bought about 2 pounds of what is a fine ground red spring wheat, should be the same as Wheat Montana or the other from across the border Dakota Maid.   Price was between Arthur and Bob, but cheaper than the net.  Will find out if it’s what I want tomorrow, if I bake a whole wheat brick I will not be happy.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2022, 09:40:32 AM »
Copied from a post elsewhere yesterday.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2022, 10:21:27 AM »
Morning y'all.
Coffee and tea are hot.

That new-newfangled sweeper look interesting.

At least you had an adventure, Del.

'Tis 8 and overcast. High of 19.

Slim

Online Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: December 27, 2022, 10:42:22 AM »
Johnny, make sure you don’t leave any popcorn kernels around for the robot dog as they get annoying rattling around in it. I speak from experience.
—TK
I wonder what would happen if Mr. Robot picked up any of my dropped live primers?
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Online Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: December 27, 2022, 11:15:14 AM »
I eased into the store because I knew there were lots of Yuppies in there and they ain’t smart enough to get out of the way of an old man wearing red plaid jammies and a Carhartt coat.
Several years ago, my wife had a broken leg during the holidays. I remember taking her Christmas shopping in a wheelchair. Also, she was her father's caretaker and I wheeled him around in a wheelchair for seven years. It's a real shame how rude some people can be. They don't look where there going and walk right into the wheelchair, then they give me a dirty look. After a few dirty looks, they get a nice vulgar response from me.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: December 27, 2022, 11:32:03 AM »
Steaming hotdogs as I write this, this time I'm doing raw sweet onion slices.
Looking to see if I have any green relish  :-\

In between I am watching " In Harm's Way"...again, good movie but full of anachronisms.

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #117 on: December 28, 2022, 08:14:36 AM »
I wonder what would happen if Mr. Robot picked up any of my dropped live primers?

CCI standard primers (ie, not magnum) will sometimes pop. Haven’t had any issues with any others in the vacuums. ;)

Del, I’m pretty sure Wheat Montana does mail order, up to 50lb bags. We have two locations in Missoula, which is where I usually get mine. I am also a fan of the Bronze Chief, and have about 20lbs in the pantry at the moment.

—TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2022, 09:36:52 AM »
Several years ago, my wife had a broken leg during the holidays. I remember taking her Christmas shopping in a wheelchair. Also, she was her father's caretaker and I wheeled him around in a wheelchair for seven years. It's a real shame how rude some people can be. They don't look where there going and walk right into the wheelchair, then they give me a dirty look. After a few dirty looks, they get a nice vulgar response from me.

What amazes me is what a lot of people consider trailer trash or what ever at Walmart not only make sure there is room for carts but almost make me feel bad by helping me get stuff.  I could most times walk the whole store but if I get tired there is no place to sit down and those walkers with a seat are a PIA.  Most stores have them and despite their cost they make them money because people like me don't hurry and we see and buy stuff we might not normally buy.

Made it split top/butter top.  Very good, flour is some different, but very usable.   and I can buy it from a local owned business.  But that would lead to a long rant on that subject.  Local owned, local but big corporate owned and way far away and have to order it on-line, the order I do business.  And as I tell people, if you think self checkout causes people to lose jobs, fill out an app and show them you are qualified to work, ain't got not felonies, DWI's in 10 years, can and want to stand 8 hours or more to deal with rude people and do all this for low wages.  Most likely they'll hire you after the back ground check and you get the sales licenses required by law. ::)  I won't, I retired.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2022, 10:15:30 AM »
Morning y'all.
Coffee and tea are ready.

Looks real good, Del.

'Tis 22 and partly sunny. High of 35.

Slim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com