Author Topic: ** Photos Added ** My Inherited Spencer  (Read 891 times)

Offline dklieberman

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
** Photos Added ** My Inherited Spencer
« on: January 25, 2021, 07:39:10 PM »
Hello all
A few weeks ago I inherited a really cool Spencer Carbine 1860 model .
I was told the following story about how my wife's family got  it .
My father in laws uncles  great grandfather was a kid living on a farm we think in Indiana .
He was playing and working on the farm one day and union solders were marching by the farm . The young boy ran to the road to watch the solders march by to find out the war was over and they were marching home .
As one solder on a horse marched by he looked at the boy and said " the war is over boy, I wont be needing this anymore " and handed the gun to the boy ( great grandfather ).
I wanted to also thank Two Flints for his help in finding out more history on the Spencer . The SN is 44,096 which it looks like puts it in the 3rd Iowa Calvary regiment Company G .  Two Flints is also nice enough to post picture of the gun that I sent him .
There is also a small O or backward C and J carved into the butt ? which has got me wondering if those are initials of someone who used it ?

Thanks
David L

Offline RoosterG

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ** Photos Added ** My Inherited Spencer
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 04:03:21 AM »
Hi and greeting from the land across The Pond.

There is a wealth of information available on the internet re: 3rd IOWA Cavalry,  including names of all those who served. I even found Oliver Joseph and I'm certain there are other 'C or O J's.
You may also be interested in obtaining a copy of this book, available from Amazon and elsewhere.

Cavalrymen of the Third Iowa: Enoch Hunter and the Third Iowa Cavalry 1861-1865

Good luck with research. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com