Author Topic: Superb Henry Nettleton  (Read 2299 times)

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
Re: Superb Henry Nettleton
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 11:15:31 AM »
Forty-five hundred dollars for a reproduction! Good grief, what have we come to. And I say that being a lover of the USFA revolvers.

Dave

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 08:27:05 AM »
 :)  Oh My  ;)

I'm just gonna walk on by.  Nah, this seller is on Wacky Tabaky.

People are still Hazardous to yer Health.  Avoid 'em

PS:  Un handled??  Got it outa the box didn he??  Unturned is a joke.  I'm going to my room now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:46:38 AM »

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 01:02:19 PM »
I too think the sellers price as judged by most is unusually high, thus my statement that I have no dog in this hunt. Way over my financial ability.

That being said does not take away the fact that it is still a superb looking Nettleton revolver. 

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 01:48:58 PM »

:)  Lou  ;)

No argument here.  Itza really superb lookin revolver.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 01:54:28 PM »
...PS:  Un handled??  Got it outa the box didn he??  Unturned is a joke.  I'm going to my room now.
And the hammer is cocked on one picture (with some scratches from rubbing the frame on the side), so it has been turned! 

I think people advertise some guns priced so high so that if someone offers them $1000 less and they take it, the buyer thinks they are getting a deal.  :)

As far as the seller being on wacky tabacky, it is legal now in Connecticut so maybe!  ;D

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 02:19:34 PM »
Jesus, that's a little aggressive. I paid all of $1400 for mine, nine months ago and nobody bid against me.

SASS #81,827

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 02:39:59 PM »
Jesus, that's a little aggressive. I paid all of $1400 for mine, nine months ago and nobody bid against me.

Excellent!

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 01:02:44 PM »

Craig,

Had I seen that one (don't know why I missed it) I would have bid against you!  (smiley face goes here)

Dave

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 03:52:22 PM »

CraigC, Yours, too, is a superb looking Henry Nettleton revolver, and you were fortunate enough to have acquired it at a bargain. Like Dave T had I seen it I might have bid against you as well.  :)

Offline CJS57

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2022, 07:32:00 AM »
Let me try to help people understand internet sales lingo.  Unfired means unfired since factory test fire. Unturned means no turn line is showing. Unhandled means no handling marks on the gun. Yes this could all be spelled out in the seller's ad but this is the meaning. About price a well know shop (Pre98) sold their Nettleton for the same $4500. Few collectors will pay this price but it only takes one that will.
     A very low price someone else paid on their good deal does not establish a price level for other guns now. I got my first Nettleton for $595 some years ago. The shop selling it had priced it like a Uberti. Sold it for $1800 and was happy. Wish I had it back now.

Offline Pangaea

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2022, 09:37:56 AM »
May be a silly question, but why is it some of the case colored frames have a very blue tint like this gun and others are much more subdued?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2022, 09:53:41 AM »
Let me try to help people understand internet sales lingo.  Unfired means unfired since factory test fire. Unturned means no turn line is showing. Unhandled means no handling marks on the gun....
So, one of my 44 Special Colts which has 3000+ rounds through it is timed properly and has been handled properly, and so there is no turn line on the cylinder.  I could advertise it as unturned?

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2022, 10:28:03 AM »
I have a Nettleton, and I think I paid $1500 for it new in 2009 or so.  Mine is not new, unfired etc.  I bought it to use and because I could not find a Colt 73 Centennial.   
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2022, 11:23:33 AM »
May be a silly question, but why is it some of the case colored frames have a very blue tint like this gun and others are much more subdued?

My guess would be that some have been exposed to light more than others. Those that live in a safe most of their life will remain color vibrant the longest and those out in the open exposed to light and cleaning will fade the fastest. This pertains to the guns that have true bone and charcoal case hardening. This has been my experience anyway. Also some have been clear coated to keep the case coloring brilliant but it too will wear off the more the firearm is handled.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2022, 07:31:01 PM »

:)  Well.  well.  ;)

Short Answer.  Simple to understand.  "BECAUSE"

People are Still Contagious.  Avoid 'em

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2022, 06:28:16 AM »
Thats a Nice stump too! 
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2022, 08:32:54 AM »

:)  PLUS ONE for Major 2   ;)

Really nice stumps like that one are really hard to come by  :D

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2022, 10:48:09 AM »
I think mine was so cheap (it's all relative) because there was no box. There was also what they thought was a rust spot that rubbed off with  my thumb. Probably just one of those blind hog/acorn kinda deals. ;)

People like to do weird stuff with claims of "unturned" or "unfired", because many guns are test fired at the factory. To me this is silly. What happens before the gun ships is irrelevant. If you bought it new and never shot it, it's unfired. Period. If you bought it new and never cocked the action, it's unturned. Period. Colt did/does their test firing before the cylinders are blued. So their new guns are indeed both "unturned" and "unfired", since bluing the cylinders anyway. However, the gun in the ad is obviously not unturned because there's a picture of it cocked. Although the bolt notches show zero signs of the bolt hitting the cylinder, so I can live with the "unturned" claim. Not that I care because I shoot everything I own. I just get an extra thrill out of deflowering such guns. :D

Every gun takes the colors differently. Every maker or refinishing house does their differently too. IMHO, Turnbull's colors have more blue than those done by Colt. It also changes the appearance when a clearcoat is applied over the colors. It deepens and enriches the colors. Colt traditionally did not do that, so theirs were  historically more subdued. I would wager though, that if you had a time machine and could go back to the 1870's, buy a new Colt (or Winchester), bring it back and put a clearcoat on the frame, it would look very much like Turnbull's frames.
SASS #81,827

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2022, 11:35:15 AM »
Because the clear coat USFA put on their guns, and the resultant color "enhancement", I have removed the cleat coat from the case colored frames and hammers. As I shoot them (strictly with black powder) and clean them they are becoming a little more subdued and if I might say so, a little more Colt like. I'd show you pictures but I lack either the skill or knowledge to do so.

Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com