Author Topic: Stoeger Coach Supreme Nickel model  (Read 7751 times)

Offline Houston

• Rookie
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stoeger Coach Supreme Nickel model
« on: April 09, 2014, 09:19:46 AM »
I've had my eye on a Stoeger Coach Supreme 12 guage with the nickel plating.  Do all of the polishing and other tips/tricks that apply to the blued barrel work with the nickel one? Any non-aesthetic negatives to having the nickel one instead of the blued?

Offline Octagonal Barrel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Stoeger Coach Supreme Nickel model
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 09:28:18 PM »
That's the very shotgun I bought last year.  I like it.  If by "polishing and other tips/tricks" you mean slicking it up and making it shoot more efficiently, yes.  Especially see Marauder's web page on Stoegers - the nickel won't change that advice any.

One of the things I like about the Supreme is that you can change the chokes.  I got a second modified choke, and now both barrels shoot the same.  It also seems like the nickel cleans real easy.  (I never had a nickel gun before.)  A SASS member I think of as a mentor thought the nickel was a practical choice, maybe better than blue.

As to esthetics, I think it's garish.  I generally don't prefer flashy firearms.  If a blued one was sitting next to it at the same price, I'd have bought the blue one.  But if the price is right, I'm willing to bend my esthetics some.  And that's what happened with mine.

Will I get rid of it because of the nickel?  No.  It's mine now, and it's grown on me.  It's a good gun.  If the price is right, get it!
Drew Early, SASS #98534

Offline Octagonal Barrel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 09:38:59 PM »
Forgot to mention someone challenged me on the practicality of nickel if I wanted to do non cowboy shooting with it - maybe duck hunting.  He seemed to think the nickel would be a problem in creeping up on the ducks.  I told him my plan is to wave the shiny end in a figure eight pattern and hypnotize the ducks before shooting them.  I'm not sure if that would really work.  And I sure wouldn't want to maintain an unethical advantage over them.  ...But for cowboy shooting, nickel is good.
Drew Early, SASS #98534

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:19:16 PM »

Offline Houston

• Rookie
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 11:58:40 AM »
Thanks!  Yeah it would be used purely for CAS.  My family has plenty of other shotguns for duck hunting etc.  I'll actually probably be using my Father's Stevens 311 for a little while but wanted something on my own.

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 09:41:43 AM »
I went with the Stainless receiver Supreme version (the barrels are blued).

Beside the screw-in chokes, you also get a decent rubber recoil pad.

For $100 more, the Supreme version is very much worth it.

There is a single versus double trigger decision to make. Many people (including me) have had issues with the single trigger.  It isn't exactly a problem with the gun, but more of a compatibility with the shooter problem.  I originally had one of each. Stoeger wound up replacing my single trigger model with a double trigger version and life is better now.

Rick

Offline Houston

• Rookie
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 05:14:54 PM »
I went with the Stainless receiver Supreme version (the barrels are blued).

Beside the screw-in chokes, you also get a decent rubber recoil pad.

For $100 more, the Supreme version is very much worth it.

There is a single versus double trigger decision to make. Many people (including me) have had issues with the single trigger.  It isn't exactly a problem with the gun, but more of a compatibility with the shooter problem.  I originally had one of each. Stoeger wound up replacing my single trigger model with a double trigger version and life is better now.

Since the chokes are screw in IC and Modified, which choke works best for CAS? I figure I should buy a matching choke for accuracy's sake for CAS.

I had read about the issues with single trigger models, and planned on getting the double trigger for that reason and since that's what I'm used to shooting now.

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 08:20:44 AM »
Mine are all "modified" now (Carlson Stainless).

At CAS distances I really don't know if it makes a heck of a lot of difference, but I simply wanted both barrels to be the same.

I didn't do any patterning at all before changing, and didn't do a whole lot after changing other than to throw some cans and plastic bottles out at about 25 feet and "walk them out" to about 100 feet with repeated hits.  They work fine on steel plates at 25-to 50 feet.

I guess at some point I need to seriously look at how they pattern. I am using BP handloads so there is a lot to investigate and mess with if I find the time (free time seems to be always too hard to come up with).

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
I used one for about 13 or 14 years. I like flashy guns. It shot well and was really easy to clean. after somewhere well over 5,000 shells, maybe closer to 7,500 shells, it came apart where the 'chambers' are connected to the barrels. I felt like I easily got my money out of it.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Octagonal Barrel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 04:26:11 AM »
Mine are all "modified" now (Carlson Stainless).

At CAS distances I really don't know if it makes a heck of a lot of difference, but I simply wanted both barrels to be the same.

I was told by a fair number of people the stock Modified and IC chokes would both work well for CAS, and in truth I found I could hit CAS targets just fine with the factory set up.   But like Rickk, I had an idea I'd like both barrels shooting the same.  Then I found a Modified Stoeger choke just sitting on a peg in front of me at a local gunstore (it was taunting me), so mine are now both Modifieds.  But I didn't really need it.

I didn't do any patterning at all before changing, and didn't do a whole lot after changing other than to throw some cans and plastic bottles out at about 25 feet and "walk them out" to about 100 feet with repeated hits.  They work fine on steel plates at 25-to 50 feet.
I didn't pattern mine before changing chokes either, but I decided to pattern it after the change.  Was told at the range to pattern my gun on the pistol side of the range, at 15 yards.  From that distance, there wasn't much of a pattern, just one big hole all 20 rounds went through, maybe 2 1/2" in diameter, right where the bullseye used to be.  Good enough for CAS scattergunning, and I'm happy with the set up.
Drew Early, SASS #98534

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 05:58:50 AM »
I bought a twin-trigger Stoeger Supreme with the Stainless Steel receiver & blued barrels last year. I ended up paying the same price as a standard model since I was buying the 2 Ruger NMVs and leveraction at the same time.

I was initially going to get the nickel version but prefer the SS. I read somewhere that some cleaning fluids (Hoppe's I think) are to harsh on nickel and can cause the nickle to lift off.

It's well worth spending the extra $$$ on the Supreme models due to the chokes, better timber, recoil pad and bling.

Does anyone know which brand of chokes the Stoegers use? Is it Beretta?

Offline Houston

• Rookie
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 07:49:54 PM »
Ended up ordering the nickel supreme. Just (impatiently) watching UPS shipping updates until it reaches my LGS.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com