Author Topic: Hatfields & McCoys-LOTS of Remingtons  (Read 5441 times)

Offline Sonoma Mike

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hatfields & McCoys-LOTS of Remingtons
« on: May 31, 2012, 07:01:47 PM »
The history channels "Hatfields & McCoys" had lots of remington pistols. Starting with civil war C&B and then into the 1880's with conversion remingtons. In fact it looked like they had their guns converted. They looked a lot like the actual conversions, no back plates. They even had some brass frames both in C&B and conversion. Didn't really see any colt 1851,60 or 61's , did see what looked like a baby dragoon, but the Remi's got got most of the action.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 473
Re: Hatfields & McCoys-LOTS of Remingtons
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 10:30:33 PM »
The brass frames are pure fiction in a belt pistol. Didn't see any little .31 cal Remington being used.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 05:40:42 AM »
I thought they did a very good job with the guns in the series.  You even saw a fair number of long barreled shotguns which, of course would have been quite readily available in the "hills".  The guns even showed up within the time frame they were actually made such as Colt SAA after 1873 and NO 1892s that I saw.  I even spoted a Henry along with 1866s.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:47:59 PM »

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 06:39:19 AM »
Usually we see any repro, made with a brass frame, represented as a Confederate copy of such and such.  The reality, as I would guess it, is that an actual Remington would have been the hardest revolver for a Southerner to come by.  I have heard it said that Colt was a buisiness man, first, last and formost, so would try to get his product to anyone with the purchase price, even if it had to be smuggled across.  Now as I have read on this, Remington was altogether different, he was a totally dedicated Unionist and would not have been expected to allow any chance of his weapons reaching those he considered the enemies of the flag.

Offline Raven

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ravens Roost Gunsmithing
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 08:38:35 AM »
Usually we see any repro, made with a brass frame, represented as a Confederate copy of such and such.  The reality, as I would guess it, is that an actual Remington would have been the hardest revolver for a Southerner to come by.  I have heard it said that Colt was a buisiness man, first, last and formost, so would try to get his product to anyone with the purchase price, even if it had to be smuggled across.  Now as I have read on this, Remington was altogether different, he was a totally dedicated Unionist and would not have been expected to allow any chance of his weapons reaching those he considered the enemies of the flag.

There are Remingtons with CSA stamps and I'm sure plenty of southerners had them from before the war or obtained them as battlefield pick-ups.

Raven

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 11:36:12 AM »
The reality, as I would guess it, is that an actual Remington would have been the hardest revolver for a Southerner to come by.

Doesn't look like it was too awful hard. This member of Bill Quantrill's raiders has four of them. ;D

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 11:16:19 AM »
Remington was altogether different, he was a totally dedicated Unionist and would not have been expected to allow any chance of his weapons reaching those he considered the enemies of the flag.

Even if one accepts this, Remington s were found among Southerners during the war and the H&M Feud took place after the war when Remington s were available in all parts of the country.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 03:15:13 PM »
Samuel Colt died in 1862.

Any sales to Southern states happened well before then - those commercial Colts that were available were shelf stock, as Ordnance placed purchase order after purchase order, and tied up production.

Remingtons were captured/battlefield pick-up weapons - CSA Ordnance didn't mark them, since they weren't collected and re-issued.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com