Author Topic: April showers and fresh coffee  (Read 18472 times)

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 118
Re: April showers and fresh coffee
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2021, 11:18:39 AM »
Sunny and 66 degrees going to 71 in the peoples republic of upstate NY.Y'all have an enjoyable weekend.
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2021, 05:57:17 PM »
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2021, 08:24:08 PM »
Morning all.

Weather is currently 35 and windy.

I got my covid shot yesterday. This one was a little worse than the last one. Ended up with a pretty good fever, some muscle cramping, and headache.  Basically this morning I feel hungover without having touched a drink.

—TK

My Good TK
I got similar symptoms , but mild , to my first Moderna shot.
Mrs Marvel, ( a retired Dr who knows stuff )  indicates that this is the body's reaction when you have no built in immunity to the bug in the first place. The immune system sees the vaccine ( a fake of the bug)
And kicks in to makes what is req'd . We feel the "milder" symptoms because of the immune defense mechanisms.  Essentially , the symptoms we get "from a bug" are actually reactions to our own the body's
Defense mechanism. Once the bug is killed off, the defense mechanism stands down and we no longer react.

She says the "ideal bug" neithers kills the patient nor triggers an immune defense. It would seem this is why some folks can be non symptomatic carriers.

Like a Typhoid Mary. She carried Typhus her entire adult life, spread it via unwashed hands and saliva/nasal droplets/spray and killed off scores of other people but never suffered a single symptom.

Ain't Science amazing?

Yhs
Prof mumbles
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 05:09:29 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2021, 09:17:21 PM »
My old family Dr who was the best I ever had said if the vaccination made you sick be thankful because the full blow virus might kill you.   He got my stubborn wife to start getting flu shots.  See way back in the dark ages her mother got one and it made here sick so the whole famn damily was against  flu shots. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2021, 05:39:45 AM »
Good Morning All!
Today is our club's first monthly shoot of the season.
35℉ heading for a perfect 66℉ with sunshine and enough breeze to blow the black powder smoke away.

Hot coffee or water for tea is on.

Thick-cut bacon planks to gnaw on with a fresh "Whopping" biscuit or two.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2021, 06:12:14 AM »
Thanks for the Coffee , John , say  "hey to Yuma" and guys'...

We were suppose to get the Storm that pommeled the Panhandle Ga. and Ala. ....much of nothing.
Radar showed a broad line of heavy rain with strong oranges & red squalls within..NADA
It was breezy but never even got the grass wet...calling for 70% chance of precipitation today...but right now not a cloud in the sky
bright an clear...

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2021, 06:31:20 AM »
Morning all.

Currently 15 and snowing in Great Falls. There’s a good 6” in places. Will make my drive home exciting.

On the docket today, we have some chemical warfare drills, and that’s it.

In other news, the Missoula gun club had their first CAS match this weekend, which I wanted to go to. But alas, it wasn’t meant to be.

—TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2021, 07:47:36 AM »
I received a Flu shot in boot camp in 1959 and it made me sick. I never got another Flu shoot until about 15 years ago after I had the Flu two years in a row. It was really nasty and it put me flat on my back for over a week each time. I started getting Flu shots again and have not had the Flu since. At 80 years old I figured it would be the end of the trail for me if I were to get the Covid so I was happy to get the vaccine shots.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2021, 07:49:54 AM »
Morning y'all.
Thanks for the coffee and grub.

Ditches are full.

'Tis 44 and sprinkling. "Cloudy this morning. A few showers developing during the afternoon. High 56F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%."

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2021, 11:00:53 AM »
Bright and clear gave way to total overcast and getting darker, real time rain is slated to start @ 12 noon...

When I got my 1st Pfizer shot , there was but one location countywide , and took near 2 hours .
The 2nd, also just one location, was 50 minutes including the 15 hold time....
They seems to have the procedures , better sorted out..

Now there are several locations all around the county, My wife got her 2nd on 4/8  and she was in & out in 28 minutes.

She had no ill effects , nor did I with either doses. ( also  Pfizer )

As to Flu , I get one free every year , heck at Publix Markets they give you a $10 gift card to get it  ;)

I also got the 1 time Shingles & 1 time Pneumonia and the $10 Gift Cards 2 years ago.

Inject O prostitution ... I call it  ;D

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2021, 06:35:49 PM »
I received a Flu shot in boot camp in 1959 and it made me sick. I never got another Flu shoot until about 15 years ago after I had the Flu two years in a row. It was really nasty and it put me flat on my back for over a week each time. I started getting Flu shots again and have not had the Flu since. At 80 years old I figured it would be the end of the trail for me if I were to get the Covid so I was happy to get the vaccine shots.

According the Mrs Marvel, (SWMBO) back in the the early days  most vaccines were based on the actual virus
isolated and grown on some sort of mystical media like eggs ( thus the question : are you allergic to eggs?) .
The cultured virii was then somehow killed, partially or mostly killed, or neutered somehow which could lead
to some pretty severe reactions as tho it were an actual case but which produced strong immunity to
that strain .

the professional science writers put it this way:
snip---------------------
The isolation of influenza virus 80 years ago in 1933 very quickly led to the development of the first generation of live-attenuated vaccines. The first inactivated influenza vaccine was monovalent (influenza A). In 1942, a bivalent vaccine was produced after the discovery of influenza B.

The first influenza vaccine was approved for military use in the United States in 1945 and civilian use in 1946. This whole-virus, inactivated influenza A and B vaccine had been tested in military recruits and college students before approval. Thomas Francis Jr., MD, and Jonas Salk, MD, who would become closely associated with the poliovirus vaccine, were key investigators on much of the influenza vaccine research. Influenza vaccine development was a high priority for the U.S. military after the deaths of approximately 1 in every 67 soldiers from influenza during the 1918-1919 pandemic.
endsnip-----------------

My first flu vaccine was one of those mass nationwide events after the "Swine Flu" outbreak of 1976 and I did
react to it, and it was not pleasant.

snip-------------
In January 1976, several soldiers at Fort Dix complained of a respiratory illness diagnosed as influenza. While the majority of samples were of the more common A Victoria flu strain, two were not. The atypical samples were sent to the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta, Georgia, which found evidence of swine influenza A related to the 1918 flu pandemic, which killed 50 to 100 million people worldwide.
endsnip----------

After identifying "Swine Flu" in the mix, a vaccine was manufactured and nationwide effort was made to forstall another 1918 Flu Pandemic. A lot of us got flu-like reactions and bed-ridden for a few days, but it did keep a nationwide pandemic from occurring.

Because of that reaction I skipped getting any flu shots until I actually got real H1N1 one year and was laid flat
for 10 days, and literally slept on the floor in front of the porcelain god for about 3 of them, unable to move any further.

After that I got the shots every year no matter what.

as always, YMMV

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2021, 07:26:44 PM »
Yes, Jerry got the flu shot which lead to Chevy Chase doing the needle in the arm on weekend update.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2021, 07:32:07 PM »
In 2005 there was a shortage of vaccination and they said to let high risk people have it first.  I passed, had had some repairs done in my gut in Aug and didn't think about it and passed.  Got a stomach like flu, threw up for 2 days, damaged things and got yelled at by my Dr for not getting the shot and for not going to the ER.

It's ok, they repaired everything again between Christmas and New Years. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2021, 07:40:52 PM »
Ah yes... "Swine Flu"  I never knew for sure I had it , but all indications and the time frame pointed to it...
I was so sick for nearly 2 weeks that winter Jan. 76  I never forgot the vivid memory....

I know I've had flu a few times but never like that ...I do recall my Kid was exposed to Chicken Pox in 3rd or 4 grade.
She did not get it, nor did my wife.... BUT I sure did !  Boy did I !  Temps ran 104 and chills and red speckles itched like a *itch.
Next to Jan. 76' it was the worst . If you get it as an adult its BAD Juju.
That is why I got the Shingles Shot ....once you have the Chicken pox the varicella virus stays in you dormant.  You may actually never get sick again, or you may get  Shingles (Herpes Zoster).
And it is actually worst than Chicken Pox itself.

NO thank you, I got the shot!

With those memories , getting the Covid 19 Vaccine was a no brainer ....

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2021, 11:38:45 PM »
I got the shingles too, I get the pee-monia one also, had the polio, some my age didn't and paid for it, probably had the small pox one also, had the mumps one cause I missed them.  For real had both measles, whooping cough, and of course the chicken pox.    Wish they'd get a lyme one, had it twice but caught it with in days of the tick bite and got off easy.   Had mono twice, almost killed me both times.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2021, 12:29:37 AM »
I recall I had to get the Polio one,  the Albert Sabin’s oral version  in Elementary school . I remember it was Cherry flavored .
I seem to recall I had gotten the injection too... earlier  :-\
I was given the Small Pox, it was required for a Passport in 1958 before we went to Mexico.
It was not a conventional injection, it was  more of a scrapping and the anti-virus was dabbed on scrapped area of the arm. 
Many developed a scar tissue tell tail, I never had that reaction.
  I also seem to recall Pertussis (Whooping Cough) and Mumps/ Measles injections , But I did get sick with the German Measles (Rubella) when I was about 9 years old
 And have had Tetanus injections several times. 
I guess I am/was a regular PIN CUSHION  :)

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2021, 07:16:50 AM »
Morning y'all.
Coffee and tea are hot.

'Tis 42 and mist. "Cloudy early, then off and on rain showers for the afternoon. High 57F. Winds W at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 40%."

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2021, 07:19:20 AM »
Coffee's on .... ham biscuit too if you like...

Rain finally blew through , I guess about 1/2 inch , did see some brisk breezes , guessers say some saw 49 MPH up Orlando way...
May see  82° and clear today .

Arthritis in my right hand ( several weeks now...  ) has anything related to shooting on hold.  ::)

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2021, 07:50:38 AM »
Morning all.

Made it back to Missoula without incident.

I don’t know what all I’m vaccinated for. But it’s pretty much everything. I got 14 shots at basic training. I had the chicken pox vaccine when I was really young. I know this because one of our neighbors at the time tried to get us put on quarantine because she was convinced that it was me who had given her children the pox because “vaccines cause the diseases they are supposed to prevent.” No lady, your children got chicken pox because they aren’t vaccinated.

—TK

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2021, 09:00:35 AM »
Thanks for coffee and grub.

Got home from our shoot around 5:00 afternoon and I was beat! Sunburned, a little shaky in the legs from being on my feet all day, a slightly scraped thumb and chapped lips.
But I had fun.

Shot cap 'n' ball and definitely have some glitches to iron out. Will need to use a different cap and powder in them. I'll try Triple 7 in the revolvers to get some extra oomph! for those reactive steel targets and leave the APP for the rifle cartridges.
Discovered that the Treso nipples on my '51 are too short for #11 caps, and those balls I cast from my new Confederate Arsenal .36 conical mold are just a bit too plump to force into the chamber with the rammer. I thought I had used pure lead, but the casting pot must have had some lead with tin mixed before I put the pure lead ingots in.

Oh well, mission accomplished to see how well the pistols performed. I'll use round ball next time and stouter powder, plus I've got RWS #1075 caps coming.
Gun cleaning today.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com