Author Topic: Sam Colt's best seller  (Read 1916 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Sam Colt's best seller
« on: May 17, 2021, 12:08:17 PM »
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
Re: Sam Colt's best seller
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 01:06:40 PM »
I wish Sam Colt was still around to fix the current Uberti renditions. I have a 49 Pocket and Pocket Navy(both Uberti) that are an adventure to try prolonged(like more than one cylinder)shooting. This with Slix Shot nipples installed. I've tried heavier/two mainsprings but in order to get to 90% reliability the cocking effort was so heavy I was afraid I was eventually chewing up the hammer cam. To be fair, I feel the current caps are partially to blame. I just saw a Duke Frazier video where period documentation suggested for Colts,  cap material be .014 instead of .005, the latter figure about what modern caps are.
Sooo...I will continue to plug along until I give up and maybe have someone install a cap rake--which I'd rather not have to do.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 01:20:47 PM »
I've got a Pocket Navy with Slixshots installed and no other mods that works just fine.  I'm mostly using RWS caps these days, Remington #10s being out of production pending reorganization.  These guns vary so much it's hard to say what will work.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:41:07 PM »

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 06:14:09 PM »
Navy six,
You might need to shim up the nipples a few thou. PM me for how to. You can either buy shims or make them yourself.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 07:03:23 AM »
  It may be easier to remove material from the front of the hammer curve to allow the nose further reach.  You shouldn't need more than about 4 lbs hammer draw (2 main springs?!!).  That way you won't have to keep track of shims  and such (not that that's not an option) and, you'll have taken the "mystery" out of that one for all future shooters!  You probably have a too tall cam and a thick left bolt arm (you thin it from the inside) hindering hammer fall as well. 

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 08:43:03 AM »

:) N. Six  ;)

Based on your description, you don't have a problem with the thickness or thinness of your Caps.  You have much more involved problems.
First step is to check and correct the Barrel to Arbor fit to insure you have consistent Barrel to cylinder gap.  Optimum B/C gap is .005,
Insure, when the Cylinder is pressed against the barrel breach, the Hammer actually touches the bare nipple.  Those that council the hammer should never touch the nipple are behest of HORNSWAGGLE.
Then look inside.  You need to clean up the innards, eliminating burrs and actually fitting parts to eliminate parasitic drag.  Pay particular attention to the Hammer Channel and polish the sides of the Hammer.
Make sure your thumb isn't riding the hammer down??
Don't forget to polish the hammer face, deburr the Safety Pin slot and lightly round over the bottom of the slot and hammer.

After doing all of this, if you want 100% reliability, you will need to add some form of mechanical block to keep caps out of the hammer channel and action.

Stay Safe Out There

PS:  Pay attention to the Parts "Other Mike" mentioned.

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 03:40:10 PM »
Thanks Coffinmaker, 45 Dragoon & hellgate. So far I have:
1. cleaned up the insides including hammer channel and hand slot.
2. polished &b de-burred the hammer face/safety slot and rounded bottom of hammer.
3. corrected the short arbor--filled "the hole" with steel washer. B/C gap is .004 on one gun and ,006 on the other.
4. corrected bolt head width until it fits smallest cylinder notch.
5. installed Slix nipples.
6. Use Remington #10 caps.
Coffinmaker, I forgot to check the hammer face/nipple for contact with hammer forward. Hellgate, the Slix are a bit taller than the stock Uberti nipples so I am not sure any additional length would be of benefit. Ignition was 100% even with the stock nipples. I don't use heavy loads in either gun. Olde Enysford 3F 13g in the 49 and 15gr in the Pocket Navy. Upon firing there is a cap under the hammer, right at the top, which is consequently partially cocked. 45 Dragoon, I will check that hammer cam and pay attention to the hammer curve. I relieved that area on a Pietta 51 Navy which led to more reliable functioning. I seem to recall, if I am correct, that original Colts had that hammer curve more relieved to avoid inteferrence between the curve, a fired cap that got down there and the curve of the frame.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 08:04:24 AM »
Saw that video the other day and was most impressed. I hope the Italians start shipping revolvers again, and that Eras Gone gets resupplied with Lee molds ASAP.  Be nice to move forward again, so to speak.  :D

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 09:23:24 AM »
Uberti/Pietta are up and running.  Midway has a number of new ones in stock.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com