Author Topic: New 1873 SAA From Italy: Chaparral Arms  (Read 15060 times)

Offline Waya

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New 1873 SAA From Italy: Chaparral Arms
« on: November 09, 2006, 09:22:57 PM »
http://www.chaparralfirearms.com/1873revolver.htm     

Should be comming out in Feburary 2007. Charter Arms will be the Importer here in the U.S.A.

I was on the phone to them, and all they are waiting for is for Customs to give their approval, and release it for sales. From what I was told, the SAA will sell for about $400.00 + Tax

Hope it's as good or better then Uberti's !!!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne - "The Shootist"

44caliberkid

Re: New 1873 SAA From Italy: Chaparral Arms
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 06:04:13 AM »
I'm fairly certain that it is made by Uberti or Pietta.   Same gun, just a different importer.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 05:50:31 PM »
I think that they are made by Palmetto in Italy.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:31:48 PM »

44caliberkid

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 06:50:37 AM »
   Doesn't Uberti make the 1876 rifle for Chapparal and Cimmaron?   I didn't think Palmetto made anything but the crappiest cap n' ball pistols on the market.  Guess I'll have to do some research on this.
  Palmetto used to have a website, but I can't find it currently.

Offline Waya

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 02:58:58 PM »

I have done Google and Yahoo searches trying to find out who in Italy, actually makes the gun. All I can come up with is that it's been sold to the European market for some time now. There is a German website that shows the Lever Actions and the Single Action that's made by Chaparral Arms, and that's about it. Since I don't read or speak German,,, I'm left in the dark !!

The brochure I received from Charter Arms states; " A few years back, owner of Connecticut-based Charter Arms, got together with a small group of Italian companies already producing finished firearms and firearm parts. They began to explore the idea of producing Old West replica firearms for the American market. Eventually this idea developed into a new company-Chaparral Arms. "

Also noted in the brochue and also on the Chaparral website, " Chaparral Arms is a salute to the past with recent roots." and " Chaparral Arms - not just a replica, but a tribute. "

Now, I don't know about ya'll,,, but that don't mean doodlysquat to me,,, I want to see and learn more about the SAA so I'll know wether it's worth the investment of my $$$. I want to hold one in my hand and tinker with it. Like a good pair of boots,,,, I don't buy nothing till I try it on !!!

If it's a Uberti product, then we all know about the Uberti quality. But as stated above,, if it's made by Palmetto,,,,, I pass !!!!   If it's made by Pietta,,, I'll look at it, but I'm not all that inthralled with Pietta handguns,, at all !!! Pietta's shotguns are a different matter,, they're not too shabby at all !!

Guess we'll just have to wait and see,, huh !!!

Offline Dai.S.Loe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 05:13:55 PM »
There were a pair of these pistols a t a gunshow here a month ago.

Not made by Uberti. I was informed that they were made by ex Armi San Marco gunsmiths.

I liked the feel and look of these pistols.

Not a expert so I couldnt say more.

They were on display with the 76 rifle by the same company.

Woodwork was identical
The "Darkside" means never having to see the targets you miss.

44caliberkid

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 07:47:08 AM »
The Charter Arms website says they are Italian parts assembled in the US, and implied that they are using oil finished stocks (possibly US wood?) at least on the 1876.  I e-mailed the sales department for clarification and origin of the parts.  We'll see if they respond and I'll report the reply here.

44caliberkid

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 05:35:10 PM »
   Well, I got a typical "Duh" response to my first try.  First of all I inquired specifically about the 1873 revolver, which whoever responded to the e-mail ignored.  They told me the Winchester replica rifles were made by Chaparral.  And the oil finished stocks are european and finished in Italy.  In my reply I told them Chaparal is not a manufacturer, gave them a couple options to pick from, and reminded them I was asking specifically about the revolver.
   The person on the other end is probably some secretary getting her answers from the brochre.
   If this fails I'll call them, I can't see why the origin of these parts would be some state secret.  I'm also highly doubtful about the "assembled in the United States" claim.

Offline Dai.S.Loe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 06:10:36 PM »
   Well, I got a typical "Duh" response to my first try.  First of all I inquired specifically about the 1873 revolver, ....... I can't see why the origin of these parts would be some state secret.  I'm also highly doubtful about the "assembled in the United States" claim.

As I said earlier. At the Henderson Gunshow in Auckland last month, a dealer, Neil Hayes of www.hayesandassociates.co.nz had the 1876 rifles and the 1873 pistols for sale.

He had a pair of the 1873 pistols.

They were marked Charter Arms.

The finish was great. Not having a lot of experience with uberti or colt clones, they felt really nice to handle.

The trigger let of was crisp and about 4lbs.

Pistol grips looked as though they had been cut from the same piece of wood as the 1876 rifle's stock.

Talking to Neil I was informed that the pistols were made by Armi San Marco ex employees who have gone on their own. Therefore I assume that all the parts are made in Italy.

As to being "assembled in the USA", the qualification for that particular title is something like 4 screws being tightened up by workers in the USA. It doesnt mean the whole gun is imported in parts and completely put together.

Not meaning to put USA down as a lot of other countries, including my own, also use a similar rule for the "assembled in XYZ"

The "Darkside" means never having to see the targets you miss.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 06:27:53 PM »
Palmetto in Italy makes the Chapparal 1876 & not the Uberti. The Germans are involved as well. Palmetto made the infamous Garrett Arms Sharps in the early 1980's which were impeccable in detail. The current Palmetto is a new incarnation and yes, some of the old ASM employees work there.

44caliberkid

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 10:08:36 AM »
   OK, I went straight to the horses mouth.  I spoke on the phone today with Nick Ecker at Charter Arms/ Chaparral.  He insists that Chaparral is a totally new manufacturer, new factory, new tooling, and producing the 1876 and 73 rifle, and the 1873 SAA replica.  I asked him specifically about Palmetto producing the 1876, and he said that is not so.
  I also asked about the German connection and he said they are the European distributor for Chaparral and do not produce any parts or engineering.  Charter Arms is the US importer/ distributor for Chaparral.   He also said they (Charter) do "...the final assembly here in the United States."
   I very aggressively pursued whether or not the Italian factory was a former known factory like Armi or Palmetto and he insisted they were not.
   Of course, if it were me I'd do they same thing, to not be associated with any past entities.  However, this is the official factory response and I believe anything else is pure conjecture.
  I've read several on-line reviews of these rifles, try gunblast.com for articles on the 1876 and 1873.  They recieve very high marks, give no indication of origin other than "Italy".
   OH, and the highly figured walnut stocks, they are a lesser hardwood with the figured pattern applied.  All reports are it looks great and real wood of that caliber would be very, very, expensive.  Beretta has done this faux fancy wood lately on some of it's shotguns and apparently they (Italians) are doing a great job with this process.

44caliberkid

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 02:59:45 PM »
   A few more details, detective work sure is fun.   I don't know how much "assembled in the US" means, but it's enough that the rifles don't bear Italian proof marks.   They are test fired in the USA.   Could also be enough to technically qualify as a new manufacturer, even if you don't actually produce the parts.
   I also spoke with Tammy at Taylor's and Company, who is the liason with Uberti.  She told me the Chaparral 1876 rifle is definitly not made by Uberti (as is Taylor's new 1876) and that Uberti had had an 1876 in developement for some time, and the introduction of the Chaparral product hurried them into getting the 1876 into production for Taylor's and Cimmaron.   She couldn't (or wouldn't?) tell me if Chaparral had taken over one of the other Italian companies like Armi or Palmetto, only that Uberti was definetly not making Chaparral parts.
   Palmetto used to have a very extensive website which seems to have disappeared.   Dixie still carries some of their guns so maybe I'll check with them.   I can understand Chaparral not wanting to admit a connection with a failed company of suspect quality, but this kind of secrecy seems a little rediculous.

Offline Waya

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 10:07:02 PM »
   OK, I went straight to the horses mouth.  I spoke on the phone today with Nick Ecker at Charter Arms/ Chaparral.  He insists that Chaparral is a totally new manufacturer, new factory, new tooling, and producing the 1876 and 73 rifle, and the 1873 SAA replica.  I asked him specifically about Palmetto producing the 1876, and he said that is not so.
  I also asked about the German connection and he said they are the European distributor for Chaparral and do not produce any parts or engineering.  Charter Arms is the US importer/ distributor for Chaparral.   He also said they (Charter) do "...the final assembly here in the United States."
   I very aggressively pursued whether or not the Italian factory was a former known factory like Armi or Palmetto and he insisted they were not.
   Of course, if it were me I'd do they same thing, to not be associated with any past entities.  However, this is the official factory response and I believe anything else is pure conjecture.
  I've read several on-line reviews of these rifles, try gunblast.com for articles on the 1876 and 1873.  They recieve very high marks, give no indication of origin other than "Italy".
   OH, and the highly figured walnut stocks, they are a lesser hardwood with the figured pattern applied.  All reports are it looks great and real wood of that caliber would be very, very, expensive.  Beretta has done this faux fancy wood lately on some of it's shotguns and apparently they (Italians) are doing a great job with this process.

Yeah,,, I read that about their wood stocks too. Don't know that I care that much for FAKE wallnut !!!

I'm more interested in the SAA their comming out with, so I guess we'll have to wait and see when they come to a dealer near us. I want to hold one and check it out. If it comes close to a Colt, then they might earn my dollars. If not, they can keep tha thing !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com