Author Topic: 45 LONG COLT SILVER TIP ROUNDS  (Read 3770 times)

Offline mustanger 1952

• save gas ride a horse
  • Citizen
  • I'm a 5th generation rancher by birth.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
45 LONG COLT SILVER TIP ROUNDS
« on: June 29, 2006, 01:57:11 PM »
I'm seriously thinking about joining one of our local cass clubs here in kingman arizona. I have several SAA pistols(45lc) and will be purchasing a 1860,1866, or a 1873 lever action in 45lc. My question is I'm a real big hunter and was wondering if the 45lc silver tip ammo factory load is safe to shoot in any of the reproduction  rifles I just mentioned.( I will be doing some hunting with the above mentioned rifles). Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mustanger
I'm a 53 year old male (married for 32 yeqrs, wife will kill me if I dont' mention her) who has live the cowboy style since birth. I work for the State of Arizona as a veterans Rep. I raise horses, fish and hunt on horse back life time member of the NRA prior to my current employment I was in law enforcement. I served with the Marines and am a Viet Nam veteran. My family has a farm/ranch in south west corner of missouri that my great grand father homesteaded my grand father and father were born on the farm upstairs in the same bed room which still has the same bluebird wall paper on the walls thank god for the depression or I might have been born there too. lol I love shooting a love i aquired from my father who was californias #2 rated silhouette competitive shooter with many adwards.

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
Re: 45 LONG COLT SILVER TIP ROUNDS
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 08:08:02 PM »
First welcome to Cas City.  I see you are a Marine,  Semper Fi!

As to your question I am pretty sure that the guns you mention are rated for modern factory loads.  Since most normal factory loads must be safe in 1st Generation Colt SAAs  I am sure that they would be okay in the toggle link rifles.  Of the 3 you mention I would probably go with the 73 if you are going to give it a steady diet of Silvertips.

Some don't think any of these rifles should be shot with smokless loads but they are every day.  The modern steels used today make these rifles stronger than the originals.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline mustanger 1952

• save gas ride a horse
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 10:34:12 AM »
Mr. Ketchum,
Thank you for your response on the silver tip ammo you confirmed my beliefs but as always I prefer to get out side input cause I surely don't know everything although my wife will tell you a different story :-\.  once again thank you.
I'm a 53 year old male (married for 32 yeqrs, wife will kill me if I dont' mention her) who has live the cowboy style since birth. I work for the State of Arizona as a veterans Rep. I raise horses, fish and hunt on horse back life time member of the NRA prior to my current employment I was in law enforcement. I served with the Marines and am a Viet Nam veteran. My family has a farm/ranch in south west corner of missouri that my great grand father homesteaded my grand father and father were born on the farm upstairs in the same bed room which still has the same bluebird wall paper on the walls thank god for the depression or I might have been born there too. lol I love shooting a love i aquired from my father who was californias #2 rated silhouette competitive shooter with many adwards.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:26:41 PM »

Offline mustanger 1952

• save gas ride a horse
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
charles daily hand gun
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 10:43:55 AM »
can any one tell me about the charles daily sa handgun good? bad? in between? compare to a colt sa 45lc calibre.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com