Author Topic: Gettysburg in a Day?  (Read 12715 times)

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Gettysburg in a Day?
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 08:22:15 AM »
Not a slam, but I bet those southern boys were very tired when they started up the hill.

That is especially true if you scaled Big Round Top to get there as well.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 06:57:50 PM »
The week before Easter I have a class in Emmittsburg MD.  Good friday will do the Gettysburg in a day with one of the ladies I work with.  Will start up by where Bufords Cav stopped em day one, check out where Reynolds fell, maybe Culps hill tower, Hiigh water mark, go down where Sickles moved forward, Peach Orchard Wheat field ETC Little round top devils den west side tower then on to where Lee met what was left of Picketts Charge.

She will probably be bored but as a broke down old grunt it is hard to imagine the horror, carnage and stupidity of a lot of tactics of the day.

We do not learn very fast, seems as though the brits figured they could run the Germans out of Ammo for the Machine Guns before they themselves ran out of infantry at the Somme.  What was that quote from the Movie Patton "A waste of some damn fine infantry".  The thought of it all is about enough to turn me into a pacifist especially since the politians never seem to decide what they want to accomplish, what it will cost and tend to loose stomach for it half way thru leaving a bunch who have died, or been seriously maimed or so screwed up in the head their lives really suck all of which was a waste.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 10:33:31 PM »
Trip report.

Actually only did a fast drive thru pointing out peach orchard, wheat field, devils den to the far right and the front side of Little Round top.  Did not go down to where 20th Maine were.  Drove up past High water mark looked across to where Picketts Charge started. 40 year old women just to seem to be as interested as the grunts. (missed where buford held and reynolds fell, did not stop to honor armitage)  Did point out where lee met returnees from Picketts charge.

Caution - a stop at the Irish Brigade shop can be expensive, forewarned is forearmed.

Dobbins house spring house restaurant has not bad chow at a not too steep of a price.  Was afraid to look at pricing at the upstairs dinning room.

Gelatos across from water tower are quite good and reasonably priced.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:29:50 AM »

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 06:29:15 PM »
Well, our plans fell through last year, but we are planning to give it another shot this year.  I just hope the east coast gets thawed out before mid-March.  I thank all of you again for your kind suggestions and input.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 06:41:24 PM »

I reckon it would take a long day getting an start early.

When I was going to BNCOC (Ft Indiantown Gap, PA) some of us took a Saturday and tried to get it all in. 
Unfortunately, we didn't quite see all of it.

We were dissapointed that the tower was closed and so was the round auditorium that day.  Now I hear the tower has been taken down(??).

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2013, 11:53:06 PM »
MG

it was demolished in July 2000 by Controlled Demolition....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Pay Dirt Norvelle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 10:10:45 AM »
I went to Gettysburg, along with eight other CW battlefields in October of 2011.  I spent three days at Gettysburg and it was still not enough time and I do intend to go back.  It was surprising to me how small Devils Den is and that Little Round Top is not that steep.  I stood where the 20th Maine was and sort of had an idea of what it was like.  I do Civil War Reenacting also and the unit we portray is the 20th Maine, Co. G.
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 01:10:56 PM »
My Family and I were the recipients of one of the Generals tours last summer (Thank you again and again General!) We did it in a day but as was said it was a forced march and I would very much like to do it again when I had more time. The things that surprised me were that Devils Den was low ground (in my mind on a hill I had always pictured it on a hill) and that the line of battle on Little Round Top wasn't closer to the summit. We had held the Department of the Missouri Muster the previous weekend and all I could think when standing at the Little Round Top defense line was, "My Gosh, How did the Confederate leadership expect the men to be able to fight by the time they got here?" I mean I know they were younger and in better shape than I, but in the heat of early July they'd have been spent by the time they got to the Union line.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 07:32:08 AM »
Like the others have said, you can do it in a day but it'll be a forced march.  I've done it several times when I've taken friends and visitors to see it (I'm about 90 min from Gettysburg).

I recommend stopping at the new Visitor's Center and getting one of their cassette guides.  I think you can still rent a player if your vehicle doesn't play cassettes.  It guides you around the battlefield, stopping at the major points (and there are a lot of them), explains the significance of the stop and what took place, often with a first-hand report.  Unfortunately, this only covers the basics of each day - you won't get a detailed description of each day, otherwise you'd be zig-zagging all over the place. 

The tape is geared to about 3 hours if you just drive, stop and listen.  Of course, you'll want to get out and walk the ground so that will add some time.  I always like to walk the charge (Pickett's, Longstreet's, etc) of the 3rd day but that requires someone to drive you car around to the high-point (or you get to walk back).  However, its also interesting to watch others doing the charge as you stand at the high-point. 

Alas, the Electic Map, dated as it was, is no longer available for viewing.  It gave a nice overview of the battle and was good for those visiting the field for the first time. 

Allow time to visit the Musuem as well.

Slight modification to my earlier report.  Make your first stop the Visitor Center and purchase one of the CD battlefield guides.  There are several, so ask one of the sales people which would be best for what you've in mind.  Some are far more detailed than others.  You can view the museum then, or afterward, as you prefer, though I think afterward is best after driving through the battlefield and getting a general feel for what happened where. 

For those with little interest or knowledge or the Civil War, a single day is probably enough, but if you've more than a passing interest or knowledge, two days is better, and three even better still.  There is a lot of ground to cover and to do it in just a day you'll be doing a lot of viewing instead of stopping.  When Col Pitspitr came out we didn't have time for the Culp's Hill area, nor areas like the Wheat Field, Peach Orchard, or the Cavalry battle. 

Also, since you're in the area, you might want to consider Sharpsburg/Antietam, about 1 1/2 hours down the road and/or Harper's Ferry.  Antietam is probably the best preserved CW battlefield.

For those who want an elevated view of the battlefield there are several towers erected by the Army War College in the 1930s that are helpful.  One is on Oak Ridge, one is on Culp's Hill, and the third is near Pitzer's Woods.

Any GAF members planning a visit to Gettysburg (or any other Eastern Theater battlefield) should let me know as I may be able to meet up with you.

US Scout
Brig Gen, GAF

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Gettysburg in a Day?--DID IT!
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 11:53:27 AM »
Well, we're back from the east coast--and we did Gettysburg in a Day!  Weather was dry with occasional thin blowing snow and 30+ MPH winds made it pretty darn chilly.  We ended up starting in town (needed food), and were surprised and pleased to see the various "then and now" markers with old sketches and photos in the downtown area.  The railroad crossing just north of the town square really brought history alive when viewed from the marker having a period sketch of the CSA barricades that were there in 1863.

We took the plurality advice and started at the visitor center.  I had heard of the Cyclorama, but I was completely unprepared for its grandeur.  That really helped set the stage for the battlefield tour.  We then bought the 3-disk audio auto tour and headed out for CSA lines along Seminary Ridge.  As we began encountering the various unit plaques and artillery positions it began to dawn on me how one could spend days here, following the ebb and flow of battle.  The fire-watch tower at the south end of the line gave a fantastic overview.  We then crossed the lines and began probing for the left flank of the USA position, ending up on Little Round Top.  I had read about it, but reaching the top, it was suddenly clear, in a way that history books don't quite capture, how this little hill could be a key to the Union position.  I was also struck at how close the Devil's Den (which the audio tour strangely seemed to omit--we detoured there anyway) was, and how small and close both that and the Slaughter Pen were.

By this time, darkness was beginning to threaten, so we sped up our pace and maneuvered through the midst of the battlefield, and then on to the Union lines along Cemetary ridge.  Ever since I had seen the colors of the First Minnesota in the state capitol in St. Paul, and learned about its Gettysburg history, I had wanted to see where it had made its charge.  When we found it, I was awe-stricken.  To my mind, this was no charge down some ridge into the face of an enemy clambering up.  The ground was just shy of level, the distances incredibly close, and there was no cover or concealment at all.  Just a straight run a couple hundred yards right into the face of an enemy that outnumbered you 5 to 1.  Now I understand why they spoke of buying only five minutes or a few more.  Just incredible.

Overall impressions:  The Gettysburg battlefield was perhaps a little smaller than I had expected, but what shocked me was the topography.  Having been raised in the west, my idea of a "ridge" was rather different from what I saw on the battlefield--I've probably been on sports fields with steeper slopes than the run from Cemetary Ridge down to Plum Run.  Perhaps inaccurately, I came away with the overall impression of two armies that lined up over generally level ground (with a few relief features), and instead of fancy maneuvering or grand strategy, they just basically went straight at each other.

All in all a very tiring yet fulfilling day that offered a great deal of education about a critical historical event.

Again my thanks to those offering insights and encouragement.

--DJ

Offline Hickok

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2013, 08:35:38 PM »
Been to Gettysburg 6 times and I keep going back. Only about 200 mile trip for me, so me and the mrs. load up the motorcycle and usually make a three or four day trip. I can't get enough of the place. The townsfolk and shop owners are very friendly. There is alot to see, enjoy and study!
All credit and praise to Lord Jesus

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2013, 11:31:04 PM »
I am very fortunate and will be at Gettysburg 28 Jun - 7 July for the 150th Anniversary.  Each trip I discover more and more.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Twitchy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2013, 07:45:05 PM »
I took the family a few years ago and everyone loved it.  My wife keeps telling me how she would love to go back.  It had record breaking heat.  So hot the kids tennis shoes got sticky and left imprints in the asphalt.  Probably the best vacation we ever had. I bought a replica saber for my youngest son and he carried around the whole time.  Now it has so much rust on it you would have a hard time telling it wasn't from the civil war ;D 

The only recommendations I would have for someone are as follows:
1 Stay at the Battlefield bed and breakfast.  Even though you aren't spending a ton of time there, once you get back, super relaxing, and really like you are at home.  Breakfast is great, but the staff are all re enactors or teachers and give you a "history" lesson daily.  Subjects vary, but were all great (4 days) .  I really can't recommend it enough.

2.  Hire one of the tour guides.  Worth the money.  Our guide was a retired teacher (pretty common, they have summers off and ar used to teaching) He also happened to live about 45 minutes from my house back home so he hit on units from Ohio.  They drive your car and describe the battlefield as they go.  No need to worry about getting lost, and it's tough to ask the cassette tape questions  ;)  Our guide told me he had been guiding for almost 20 years and all guides for the park service have to score high enough on a competitive test annually.  Doesn't matter if you've been there 20 years or not. someone else tests higher they get the job. 

Bothof these suggestions made our trip go smooth and if I only had one day would definitely be te way I would go .

Offline Hill Beachy

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2013, 01:31:45 PM »
A friend of mine is planning on making the trip next month for the 150th anniversary.  Apparently it's a family outing with his brothers.  I would expect that there would be some reenactment events, although I have heard almost nothing in the news (almost as if the Park Service is ignoring it). 

Aynone know of any must-see events planned for the week of the 4th, so that I can make a few recommendatons to them?
"But you know you can still smell the roses,
When you're running with them in your hand..."  -- Slim Dusty

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2013, 07:52:56 PM »
Funny you should ask I will be there 28 Jun - 7 July for the 150th.

Better have rooms already reserved.  Gettysburg is sold out as are most other close towns.  May be able to get some in Chambersburg PA or Hagerstown MD.  If he is not staying with family get reservations before departing home.  The official 150th Reenactments run 4-7 July.  Tickets requiired google.  The previous weekend 28 - 30 June The Blue Grey Alliance will be doing reenactments again google and get tickets.

There are also other things going on as well.  Google is your friend.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Hill Beachy

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2013, 12:22:37 AM »
Much obliged, I'll pass the info on to them.  My understanding is that they've got hotel reservations already.
"But you know you can still smell the roses,
When you're running with them in your hand..."  -- Slim Dusty

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2013, 04:49:05 PM »
A friend of mine is planning on making the trip next month for the 150th anniversary.  Apparently it's a family outing with his brothers.  I would expect that there would be some reenactment events, although I have heard almost nothing in the news (almost as if the Park Service is ignoring it). 

Aynone know of any must-see events planned for the week of the 4th, so that I can make a few recommendatons to them?

Every News Stand , Convenience Store Magazine rack, Grocery Store check out line , it seems has the Special commemorative newspaper here in Florida....  http://onlinestore.usatoday.com/gettysburg-usa-today-special-edition-p16934.aspx

The Town is going to be besieged, every road in is just two lanes.... The park will jammed this will be HUGE.

I believe the reenactment site is where we Filmed " Gettysburg " about 2 miles from the actual park boundary's expect 
to do a LOT of walking.   (two lanes) They been planning this thing several years.... I expect shuttles will be used

...best of luck  :)   

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2013, 09:15:14 PM »
The Town is going to be besieged, every road in is just two lanes.... The park will jammed this will be HUGE.
 ...best of luck  :)   

So, you're saying that Gettysburg will be similar to that of 1863?   ;D

If it wasn't for meeting up with some friends from NM and AZ, I would not be there mysel, regardless of the historical significance.  However, I suppose I can endure one day.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2013, 05:29:06 AM »
well ...yeah !  except for the carnage maybe, however If it rains , all bets are off.  :o

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2013, 11:32:57 PM »
Crowds not as bad as I had anticipated.  Some events like the Army Band performing on Seminary Ridge with in 100 yards of the Cupola were greatly under attended, maybe 150 folks watched and excellent concert that was free.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com