Author Topic: Enfield question  (Read 3966 times)

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Enfield question
« on: May 04, 2018, 10:17:47 PM »
I recently acquired two Lee Enfield SMLEs and have a question.  One is an Australian made No1MkIII 303 from 1944 and the other is an Ishapore Rifle 7.62mm 2A1 308 from 1967.  My question is how to adjust the sights for windage.  One is off to the left, the other to the right.  If I can get the sights centered they will be bell ringers out to 400 yards no problem.

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Enfield question
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 06:10:48 AM »
I believe the armorer's method was to move the front sight right or left to adjust windage.  SMLE's originally had windage adjustable rear sights, but they were sacrificed to make them easier and less expensive to produce.  I believe SARCO, INC. may have the adjustment tool, or you can always use the brass drift punch and hammer method.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 07:15:17 AM »
Another method would be to replace the sight leaf with one that has the windage adjustment.  You can find them on e-Bay.  If you do that, remember you'll need to have the proper sight ears that make room for the windage knob. (I would recommend this as the best fix, by the way.)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:56:27 PM »

Offline Lord Eoin MacKenzie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 12:51:54 PM »
you might also check the British muzzelloaders,  website.  Rob has allsorts of info on the #1 mk iii.

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 09:34:36 PM »
Thank you gentlemen.  Today I went to work on them the old fashioned way.  Removed the muzzle cap/sight protecting wings and went to work with the hammer and punch.  The 308 was relatively easy to move but the 303 was a real bearcat.  Finaly sprayed it with WD-40 and let sit for a couple of hours and was able to drift the sight.  Now back to the range with the tools to shoot and drift, shoot and drift...  When I get the front sight centered I figure they should be good for 18" to 400 yards no problem.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 07:08:05 AM »
Glad it worked for you!  You're right, with the targets we shoot at, easily adjustable windage really isn't that big a deal once you get things centered.

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 10:06:03 PM »
Sometimes the gods smile upon ones efforts.  Random whacking got both rifles close enough to center to hit steel at 300 yards.  Now for the stripper clips (groan)...

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 05:49:46 AM »
One place to try for Enfield parts is brpguns.com.  They still have quite a bit of stuff you don't see everywhere.  Didn't see any stripper clips, though.  Ebay and Gunbroker have them a lot of times.  I just checked, and Liberty Tree Collectors seems to have stripper clips at five for $15.  That's not horrible.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 05:21:36 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XEnfield+stripper+clips.TRS0&_nkw=Enfield+stripper+clips&_sacat=0

Lots on Ebay.  I find lots of stuff on Ebay.  No guns, but a butt ton of parts.  Often sold by folks who have no idea what they're selling!  Built a complete Krag out of Ebay parts.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline johns44

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 06:58:01 PM »
while going thru my stuff I found some paper wrapped and tied with string 303 ammo , 10 round packs . I want to send a photo , but no luck getting it to attach

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 09:33:38 PM »
I got 15 stripper clips on ebay.  Getting them to a state of usable function has been educational.  There were some helpful and informative clips on you tube and I went to work with Dreml tool, file, emery cloth and pliers.  Now all of them actually are functional.  It has been an educational process and satisfying to complete.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 12:35:32 AM »
I winter range buddy gave me about 250 rounds of 8mm mauser on stripper clips, I should be good to go on stripper clips for my 03 springfield I had built on Mod 1 receiver (cut out ejection port for pederson device) using a CMP new criterion barrel and finger groove stock and sarco parts
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Dusty Boddams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 01:42:56 AM »
CDB, 8 mm mauser clips won’t work with the 03. Swedish mauser will work.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com