Author Topic: Lubed bullets in freezing weather  (Read 937 times)

Offline riflee

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Lubed bullets in freezing weather
« on: October 07, 2022, 11:57:35 AM »
I used my old lube up that was CVA stuff. When going deer hunting that CVA stuff didn't freeze on my pre-lubed bullets. My bees wax and mutton tallow lube for bullets I went to would freeze and not be able to load in the Hawken muzzle loader. 

The bullets were run thru a bullet swag that put the rifling on the bullets so they would load in the muzzle when they were lubed.                                         
The 45cal. barrel is 45/70 rifling one turn in 22 inches.

I'd sometimes put some SPG lube in my lube mix.   Mutton tallow only on my bullets would be too soft. Even some SPG in the mix the lube would still freeze.

What I would like to know is what lube mix will not freeze and harden in the cold.

I do not like to keep my bullets (500 gr. govt. Lyman bullet) in a tin in a pocket to keep them warm enough to not freeze. Makes it feel like they are pulling my pants down.

I like to get to a bullet fast if a second shot is needed.  Not very often with the 500gr. bullet of pure lead.  I use Goex FFG powder.

I like my tin of bullets to be in my possible leather bag not in a pocket.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Lubed bullets in freezing weather
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 12:57:24 PM »
You might look for a lube recipe that uses either Vaseline or mineral oil as part of the mix.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 01:35:57 PM »
I was thinking that mineral oil/vaseline did not mix well with BP, but may be remembering something else.   I would look to olive oil in the mix.  If using long term, I would go with extra virgin, it takes much longer to go rancid.  Jojoba oil, is silimilar in composition to whale oil, but it freezes at ~7 C.   I do not know if that is a hard freeze, or not.  Olive oil starts to solidify at -6 C, and not hard until a few degrees lower.    A beeswax/olive oil mix works well.   Normally I go 50-50.   If that is your base and used during warmer months, a smaller amount could be taken and mixed to be 20-80 wax/oil.   It would not be so hard as to impede loading.  Just my hypothesizing.   I was a food oil chemist 1989-1995, but moved to other chemistry. 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:08:58 PM »

Offline riflee

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 07:58:43 AM »
Thank you for the info Pards. I appreciate it.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com