CAS TOPICS > The Powder Room - CAS reloading

Please Post Your Successes with Trail Boss!

<< < (2/9) > >>

AntiqueSledMan:
Hello Professor,

PM sent.

AntiqueSledMan.

Major 2:
Prof...

We have already discussed , my adventure with my new to me Mk VI Webley

Using 3.5 grains of TB under a .454 hollow base @ 260 grain bullet

I also found a satisficing load @ 50 yds. for my 03 Springfield & SMLE Mk III*

Coffinmaker:

:)  Hi Perfesser   ;)

Trail Boss Sucks.  I don't/won't use it in anything unless I need a fertilizer sprinkle.

I realize this missive has no real intrinsic value except to occupy some esoteric model of Band Width, so should you elect to ignore it, I shan't be at all upset.  Nor insulted.  Nor insulated.  Nor insinuated.  Feel free to peruse something else of greater interest with perhaps more meaningful content.  Or Not.

Hide and Watch

Advertising:

River City John:
I have used Trail Boss exclusively for many years now, - in .38 Long Colt, .38spcl, 8mm Lebel pistol, 6.5 Mauser and 10.4 X 38 Swiss Vetterli.

I have never loaded a cartridge up to the base of a bullet, although load data says it would be safe. It is the powder I feel comfortable using in antique firearms if not using black powder for safe pressure.
I load it in pistol using one .7 dipper-full in .38spcl and 8mm Lebel, which seems adequate for the target distances we typically shoot. I believe .3 for .38LC. The Vetterli, without referring to notes, took three .7 dipper-fulls, but I could have gone a tad stouter in hindsight, and I believe about the same in the 6.5 Mauser. Again, seemed to be enough to get bullets out to the targets.
I use a single stage loader and hand fill cases by Lee dipper, so no experience in metering to relate.

I like the simplicity of using that one powder to cover all shooting situations. No need to store a lot of different powders. Granted, I am not the type of shooter who experiments with trying to discover just that right combination of powder, bullet, primer etc. to fine tune performance.
I bought a 5 lb. canister right before the big drought several years ago when Trail Boss was not to be had. It has stored well in the basement and seems to have kept its potency.

RCJ

Major 2:
Ditto to RCJ experience....  TB is forgiving and almost dummy proof ( almost  ;) stupid in,  nets stupid outcome as Murphy's equation is always in effect.

The 3.5 grain is actually a 45ACP case cut off and with a short handle affixed...it throws 3.5 grains by my scale
In the 45 Auto Rim and the .454  seated,  the powder is 10 thousands below the base + the hollow base cavity ( it is not compressed )
I'm seeing  635 FPS average.  It is the only case I load to near the base of the bullet (early 3.2 Grain or .7 cc Dipper clocked at 530 FPS )

With the 30 Cals.  I use  80%  ( I had started @ 70% ). 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version