CAS TOPICS > The Powder Room - CAS reloading

Smokelss Cowboy load for 44 Special?

(1/2) > >>

russ1943:
Does anyone have a mild Smokeless Cowboy loadfor 44 Special?
Using 200grn lead bullets.

Abilene:
3.5 gr Clays.  That is Hodgdon's minimum with 200gr bullet.  I shot a lot of those but then got a deal on a bunch of 180gr bullets so I'm using them now for pistols.  Hodgdon's minimum in various calibers and bullets has always worked well for me for CAS.  If you don't have Clays, it does not seem to be back on store shelves yet but Clay-Dot is and that can be substituted.

russ1943:

--- Quote from: Abilene on December 05, 2022, 11:14:48 AM ---3.5 gr Clays.  That is Hodgdon's minimum with 200gr bullet.  I shot a lot of those but then got a deal on a bunch of 180gr bullets so I'm using them now for pistols.  Hodgdon's minimum in various calibers and bullets has always worked well for me for CAS.  If you don't have Clays, it does not seem to be back on store shelves yet but Clay-Dot is and that can be substituted.

--- End quote ---

Thanks
RJS

Advertising:

Niederlander:
A minimum charge of anything like Red Dot, Unique, etc. works great in the .44 Special.  It's a really easy cartridge to load for.

DeaconKC:
My Smith & Wessons like a charge of 7.5 grains of Unique under a 200 grain RNFP.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version