Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Shotguns

Loading Brass Shells

<< < (2/3) > >>

Dave T:
Builder of Human Shaped Wood Boxes,

Now why didn't I think of that!

But then, when you reach a certain age you find you drop a lot of things.  Can't tell you how many screws I've dropped on the floor of my shop when taking apart guns or putting them back together.  Yea, yea, I know.  Don't take the guns apart.  (smile)

The 10ga wad idea is a good one. Thanks for the suggestion.  Too bad I just bought 1000 11ga over shot wads.  Inflation being what it is I hate to waste them.  And, I've always used regular Elmer's.  Maybe Elmer's Wood glue all around the edge would be more secure.  Have to try that.

Dave

Professor Marvel:

--- Quote from: Dave T on May 04, 2022, 10:05:49 AM ---Builder of Human Shaped Wood Boxes,

Now why didn't I think of that!

But then, when you reach a certain age you find you drop a lot of things.  Can't tell you how many screws I've dropped on the floor of my shop when taking apart guns or putting them back together.  Yea, yea, I know.  Don't take the guns apart.  (smile)

The 10ga wad idea is a good one. Thanks for the suggestion.  Too bad I just bought 1000 11ga over shot wads.  Inflation being what it is I hate to waste them.  And, I've always used regular Elmer's.  Maybe Elmer's Wood glue all around the edge would be more secure.  Have to try that.

Dave

--- End quote ---

The usual methods of sealing include waterclass ( historically used) , paraffin (also used in the day),
Duco cement, any white glue, woodworkers glue, silicon or latex house caulk, epoxy, hot glue….

I have only used paraffin so far.

I have not tried hot glue yet and I have not stayed at a holliday inn…
But a “ring” of hot glue seems to work for a lot of folks. A few report “I hate hot glue it leaves a stringy mess” … but I suspect and surmise that they are filling the whole space to the rim of the shell with hot glue.
I cannot fathom that a small ring would leave a mess…

Dave T:
Prof,

I don't have a hot glue gun (I know, shame on me) but that sounds like probably one of the best suggestions. On the other hand, given the lack of coordination Coffinmaker was giving me a hard time about (LOL) I might well burn myself on the hot glue gun. Getting old isn't the fun I was told about years ago. They lied.  (smile)

Dave

Advertising:

Coffinmaker:

:) Well Schucks Dave  ;)

While we're at it.  Some more tidy bites of trivia.  For 12Ga Brass hulls, the Ballistic Products 1044 Plastic Wad fits a 12 Ga Hull like a glove.  I do/did/would cut the petals down for a 1 Ounce Pay Load though.  Worked a treat.  I load 40Gr 2F APP with the Wad fight down on the powder (no compression), dump in the shot and then place TWO overshot cards on top and seat tightly to the shot column.  Works just fine.  AS LONG AS YOU DON'T DROP THE ROUND ON CONCRETE.  If dropped on concrete, the wads will dislodge and the shot goes everywhere.  DO NOT ASK how I just happen to know this fact!!!!

Next tidbit:  When you get sick of sitting the petals down on the 1044 wads, switch to Ballistic Products Spitfire Wad for 1 Ounce pay load.  Also sets right down on the powder.

Neither of my load fill the Hull to the tippy top.  Who Cares.  Doesn't matter at all.  I don't use glue.  The hulls only have to stay together in the box and in my shotgun belt.  Work just fine in a Double gun.  I DO NOT and WILL NOT put a tiny little crimp on the hull mouth.  Just makes em hard to load.

Play Safe Out There 

Dave T:
Coffin,

Thanks for the suggestions. Knowledge is power...or some such expression

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version