Author Topic: 1858 tuning?  (Read 327 times)

Offline Cowtown

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 85193
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
1858 tuning?
« on: November 24, 2023, 04:00:33 PM »
Greetings,

I have had for sometime a pair of Pietta 1858's that I have shot very little but the fun factor is high. The hammer pulls on both of these are quite a lot. Much more so than any other revolver I have played with. Is there a lighter replacement hammer spring available that eases this a might? Disassembly of these is easy and parts are fewer than the Colt design which I find refreshing and fascinating thus my interest in "tuning" one up a bit to make it a touch more competition friendly.

I have shot these with CnB and Howell conversion cylinders (45Colt Trailboss and BP loads) and find both exhilarating.  For me these are a better fit for my hands (I shoot double duelist) than the Colt designs. I am considering trying to make these main match guns for BP and shooting them GF'f category. So any helpful suggestions to this end are appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 1858 tuning?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2023, 06:18:55 PM »
Is the mainspring tensioning screw on the front of the grip frame functional? i.e. when you pull off the grip panels to look, does it contact the mainspring? If it is putting a lot of pressure onto the mainspring, unscrew it until there is no contact. That will lighten the mainspring tension as far as you can go without modifying or replacing the spring. My past experiences with three Pietta SS '58s was not good (cylinder/barrel alignment was off on all 3) but they were of 1990s manufacturing. I do not know about the latest, but from what I have heard is a much improved version from Pietta. Tuning my Uberti Remingtons was little more than backing out the tension screws until they no longer touched the mainspring and then turning them back in for about 1/2 turn of tension/contact with the mainspring. Voila! suddenly a nice, smooth considerably lighter hammer pull. On the 3 Piettas none of the tension screws contacted the mainspring so they were merely for appearance. I ended up having to thin the mainsprings in order to lessen the hammer pull to a reasonable level. The Piettas have a slightly heavier frame than the Ubertis and are much heavier than the even lighter Euroarms Remingtons I have. The grip shapes and sizes are different on all 3 makes of .44 Remingtons I have owned.

A second thing to look for is whether the tip of the mainspring is rubbing on the back of the hammer as it is cocked. One of my prior Remingtons rubbed the back of the hammer and when I shortened the spring just enough to relieve the contact the cocking effort was notably reduced.

I do not know if anyone makes a lighter Remington mainspring ready to install.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Cowtown

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 85193
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2023, 10:09:11 AM »
Is the mainspring tensioning screw on the front of the grip frame functional? i.e. when you pull off the grip panels to look, does it contact the mainspring? If it is putting a lot of pressure onto the mainspring, unscrew it until there is no contact. That will lighten the mainspring tension as far as you can go without modifying or replacing the spring.

AHA! More light in the shop combined with my previously misplaced readers and possibly I'd have seen this screw. A couple turns and the hammer pull is much better now, no longer like trying to crank start a Farmall tractor.

;D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:35:16 AM »

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2023, 03:13:03 PM »
I've never cranked on a Farmall tractor but can imagine it. I'm thrilled that the screw "action job" did the trick for you.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com