CAS TOPICS > NCOWS

Links to NCOWS Approved & Unapproved Lists

<< < (12/12)

Iron City Sage:
Hello, new to NCOWS and trying to navigate the rules. Wife wants her own irons, and likes this look. I get the matte finish restriction, but what about this antique finish, that looks like a well worn nickel plated gun? Are these legal, or does she need shiny blue or nickel/chrome finish? Thanks! https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/cattleman-5-5-357mag-antique-tuned-rc1-555100de.html

OklaTom:

--- Quote from: Iron City Sage on June 19, 2023, 12:20:25 PM ---Hello, new to NCOWS and trying to navigate the rules. Wife wants her own irons, and likes this look. I get the matte finish restriction, but what about this antique finish, that looks like a well worn nickel plated gun? Are these legal, or does she need shiny blue or nickel/chrome finish? Thanks! https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/cattleman-5-5-357mag-antique-tuned-rc1-555100de.html

--- End quote ---

In the strictest definition of the word anachronistic, the “antique” finish is a bit. By that I mean that a firearm purchased in the 19th century would still look pretty new, perhaps with some holster wear in the period we try for (1865 to 1899). However, since it is legal for people to shoot original firearms that have not been refinished, I see no real difference in those and the “antique” finish on new production. In my opinion, as Judge for NCOWS, I say if that is what she (or you) like, use it. I have a couple myself, including the prototype of the Cimarron @Rooster Shooter”.

Iron City Sage:
Thanks. And I agree, it’s probably a little TOO antique patina, but a working, daily carry 1873 would probably look pretty rough by 1880. So honesty probably not TOO far off, for some arms. Probably more realistic than super shiny blue and chrome most have anyway, I can’t imagine many looked like that after a couple years on the trail. Just didn’t want yo spend money on a gun just to get turned away on the technicality.

Advertising:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version