Author Topic: Time for a Winchester '86 forum?  (Read 3440 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Time for a Winchester '86 forum?
« on: November 18, 2015, 10:40:07 AM »
I know there are several of us with either original or repro Winchester '86 rifles and carbines, and yet we don't have a forum page for them.

I asked before and was told that it was too late to regarded as a "Cowboy" gun. That doesn't hold water when we discuss the '85, '87, '01 and non-Cowboy rifles like the H&R Handi-Rifle and the round bolt Marlins in 45-70.

Thoughts on this?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Time for a Winchester '86 forum?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 05:23:41 PM »
? already asked and ignored a while back. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 05:25:54 PM »
I'm very much interested in a 1886 forum too.  If you have a pocket watch from 1886, you'd be proud to wear it to a CAS match, eh?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:08:40 AM »

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 06:29:38 PM »
While I don't currently own a M1886, I have in the past. Saying it's is too late to be a cowboy gun is hogwash. While the west was well along on being settled, it was not until 1890 that the US census bureau director announced that the frontier was closed. The 1890 census had shown that a frontier line, a point beyond which the population density was less than two persons per square mile, no longer existed. It wouldn't be hard to locate original period photos of cowboys with M1886s.

There is a zoot suit forum here for roaring 1920s guns. Saying M1886 are not appropriate makes no sense at all.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 08:43:23 PM »
That's four of us! We need some support from the '76 shooters.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 06:33:18 AM »
There were  86's used in the Lincoln County Wars. I have one that is 2000 in serial # past that. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 10:10:12 AM »
They were used in the Johnson County War in Wyoming and in the Dalton's Coffeyville fiasco too.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 11:22:30 AM »
I would guess the main problem with the '86 for CAS is that it isn't a "pistol caliber" rifle. Be okay for long range lever action. As a matter of fact, I have shot one in several of those shoots.  A M1886 Forum would be a great idea!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 01:16:23 PM »
I wasn't proposing that the '86 be admitted as a main match rifle. Since the '92 is virtually a reduced in size '86 and accepted as a main match rifle, it only makes sense to admit the '86 into the corral.

However, it is eminently suitable as a long range lever gun. I was the only one shooting a 45-70 in a long range lever gun match at a recent SASS event I attended. The rest were shooting 'small bores' - 30-30's, etc.

For that matter, I was the only shooter using BP in the single shot long range event. The rest were burning 4198, 5744, etc.,  and some were using GC bullets.

Shoot "Cowboy" or go home ......

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 04:06:21 PM »
A couple of random thoughts:

The 1876 forum could be officially expanded to include 1886s. Maybe rename it big-bore lever guns to include, M1881 Marlins, Bullards and such.

Or make a new Browning lever gun forum for 1886, 1892, 1895 rifles.

Another issue with a new forum is the need for a moderator and back up. This requires a commitment to monitor it daily and enforce the rules of decorum.

It's clear that the Cascity forum has long ago expanded beyond basic CAS, I'm good with that, as are most others it appears.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 06:10:10 PM »
I think your idea of an inclusive "big bore lever gun" forum is the solution. No need for a separate forum.

This would encompass all lever action rifles chambered larger than pistol calibre - done!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com