Author Topic: Gallagher Carbine  (Read 4208 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gallagher Carbine
« on: August 22, 2015, 01:32:49 PM »
I noticed my forlorn and forgotten ERMA Gallagher carbine sitting next to my '63 Sharps carbine and gave it a pet.

I bought it in the original .52 (.54?) calibre and had it sleeved to .50 so I could use the same .510 bullets I use in my other .50 calibre rifles and carbines. I regard it as a 75 yd gun (minute of steel Cowboy) accuracy wise and my favourite thing with it is ringing the 50 yd gong off hand as long as I want to keep shooting.

I'd like to have more of the odd ball Civil War carbines, repro or original. It would delight me if there were others locally who shared my interest, but there isn't, not even amongst the CAS people I know. If'n it ain't short stroked and loaded with 2.5 grs of heifer dust, they don't wanna know about it.

Historically, I think a Cavalry Trooper might have been adequately armed with a Gallagher for skirmishes out to 100 yds on horse sized targets. I really would like to shoot with the NSSA guys, but these days, I don't want to take guns across the DMZ.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Gallagher Carbine
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 04:05:27 PM »
There are several reproduction single shot breach loading carbines that a quite popular within the N-SSA.
Gallagher, Maynard, Sharps and Smith.
There are of course others but these are usually originals.
I hope this info helps.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 04:38:09 PM »
I believe the varnish like finish of the ERMA Gallagher is probably historically correct. Looks like hell and scratches easily, but that adds a certain cachet.

Yeah, there's a guy with an Italian name that makes good custom Smith carbines, as I recall. Likewise, one of the of the Italian gun makers.

CAS needs a category where these guns are shot by 'soldiers' and 'settlers' that used surplus arms going out west.

My .510 bullets are a loose fit in the brass chamber inserts of the Gallagher. I have to put a glob of lube in the case mouth to semi hold them and they can't be stored in a cartridge box unless you do it vertically and withdraw them VERY carefully.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:56:39 AM »

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 05:18:51 PM »
PJ,

CAS does have such a category.
Read the various posted preambles on the BB, to make sure you aren't going to get your "Pee Pee  slapped" for your efforts,,,, and then whine about it somewhere else on the board.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 07:14:08 PM »
I didn't realize that I was whining. I simply posted on the wrong board and was so informed. Forgive me.

I've been to several SASS Championship matches in Canada, in addition to many more 10 stage events and none of them has offered a class where people could shoot single shot rifles and carbines in other than a side match. If they do where you are, I'm happy for you.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 04:43:28 PM »
Aw Cummon Blair :o

This isn't the SASS wire where the odd comments and questions and observations are slapped down by a select few who see themselves as
the "Great and Powerful Oz."   8)

As an addendum..... There aren't that many places that offer the category for single shot rifles as other than a "side match."  For at least a 600 mile radius of where I call home, if you run into "Planesman" included in the offered fair, please, buy a lotto ticket.   ;D

Coffinmaker

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 04:49:08 PM »
A lot of clubs in the Republic of Texas offer the Cody Dixon category.  In it you use any single shot or lever rifle (separate categories for each) in any "rifle" cartridge at ranges of 75 to 125 yards.  It's a hoot.  I regularly shoot my Sharps or Marlin 45-70's and my Marlin 38-55.  Folks use everything from  Trap Doors to Model '86's.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 10:33:46 AM »
To those who posted an intelligent response to mine - Thank you! It would be fun to shoot a REAL rifle as part of a stage.

In matches where the use of a SS rifle is allowed, how many rds are fired in a CoF? Or does it vary with the event? I suggested that anyone using a SS rifle in one of our matches be allowed fewer targets, but it was disallowed.

For example, in a stage where it is the usual 10 rd dump with a lever gun, allow a SS to shot 5 rds as the shooter has to load, eject, reload, etc.  Increasing the distance for rifle calibre accordingly.

In most of the matches I've attended, rifle targets are at what I consider pistol range for a reasonable shot. Ours are at 25 yds for main match riffles and it's amusing to follow the bullets of some shooters all the way to the target - Pop! - Ting!

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 12:43:50 PM »
Hey PJ,

I've actually only been to two matches where SS rifles were allowed in the last few years.  In both instances, the shot string for the rifle was six rounds.  In both cases, shot alternating between two targets set a mite further out to compensate for the bigger bullets.
Shot with BP only, and it was a hoot.  Since the rifles were single shot, ejectors were allowed and ALL rifles were required to have exposed hammers.  Real fun to watch.  Some of those guys could get off 6 rounds really FAST  :o

Coffinmaker

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 08:34:35 PM »
I think I could get off 6 fast shots with my  H&R Trapdoor Cavalry Carbine. It flings empties like a soldier on a binge .....

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 09:49:12 PM »
Cody Dixon uses 6 rounds of rifle ammo.  There are usually 2 or 3 targets, but we're transitioning to using the same number of Cody Dixon targets as for main match pistol caliber rifles.  Lots of folks shoot trap doors in the single shot category (as you say, it flings 'em out there quickly) and the next most popular are High Walls.  For lever guns, take your pick - anything from Winchester or Marlin - lots of 30-30's, 38-55's and 45-70's.  The Winchester '76 repros are also popular in 45-60 and 45-75.

Lot's of BOOM - CLANG - AND SMOKE!  ;D
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 10:34:40 PM »
Our local club lets us shoot a military category, for single shots we shoot half the rounds as repeaters. we have our own targets set as far as we can get them, maybe 40 yards, right in front of the berm. When I shoot my Trapdoor, the RO has learned to beware of flying cases.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 10:58:36 AM »
All good to hear!

Eventually I hope to see this happen on our side of the DMZ. As more people acquire the guns and get tired of the usual 10-10-four-six-eight routine with pop gun loads, it may happen.

I stopped going to one our 10 stage annual events when I realized that I had been shooting the same event year after year with no changes.  Boring .....

One of our problems this side of the line has to do with range approval. Ranges "approved" for pistol cartridges may or may not be "approved" for centrefire rifles. This due to concerns re: backstops, berms, fall of shot, etc.

Clubs are paranoid that in the event of an incident, the sky will fall and they will be sued for lack of due diligence.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 06:33:55 PM »
PJ,

Not a problem.  Last night I GRILLED Chicken Little for Din Din.  Delicious.  ;D

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com