Author Topic: buffalo hunters cartridge belt  (Read 41784 times)

Offline buckskin billy

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
    • the buck rub
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
buffalo hunters cartridge belt
« on: June 03, 2012, 08:16:53 PM »
howdy yall.
 a while back someone posted a picture of a original buffalo hunters cartridge belt and i felt inspired to re-create it.
i copied it as best as i could from the picture just never did get around making the suspenders. belt made to fit the 44-2 1/4 sbn(44-77).
 pictured is my tried and true old 3rd generation navy colt and my c.sharps rifle. the beaded knife sheath is brain tan dyed with orchard eath paint and lined with raw hide was made by my swedish brother red thunder. i made meat the first time i took this rifle and belt out. oh yeah they're keepers
" I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"
-Ted Nugent-

if it walks, crawls, slithers or leaves a track i can tan it

http://thebuckrub.proboards.com/index.cgi?

http://thebuffalorunners.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
Re: buffalo hunters cartridge belt
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 05:49:10 AM »
BEAUTIFUL!

I just bouight a canvas belt for my 45-70 this past weekend. Came in handy at the Buffalo Shoot up in Harvard Mass.
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 09:36:39 AM »
Billy, up in Miles City at the old Cogshalls saddlery, they have a museum up on the second floor. There they have in a display case a belt very similar to what you made, but on that one there is also a set of "carry" handles so it could be hand carried like a briefcase or such.
 The makers stamp on it says it was made in Milestown Mt, so they date it to pre 1880.
 Nice jobe on yours , looks real nice.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:00:38 PM »

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 05:52:08 PM »
Great job, Billy. I like your work.

Offline buckskin billy

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
    • the buck rub
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 12:52:39 PM »
thanks yall
" I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"
-Ted Nugent-

if it walks, crawls, slithers or leaves a track i can tan it

http://thebuckrub.proboards.com/index.cgi?

http://thebuffalorunners.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 02:44:15 AM »
Hi

What a great thread!

This is getting my juices going to get my own cartridge belt done ....

This is going to be my own creation based loosely on Tom Sellecks in 'Quigly Down Under' and this antique belt:

I also liked this belt bag from October Country at 4 X 6 inches and somewhat gusseted, the bag could either hold a bunch of caps and black powder stuff (or all that anachronistic stuff one feels naked without ... like one's wallet, cell phone, etc.)

I am going to wear it on my cartridge belt (I had one made wide enough for a buffalo cartridge belt ... no extra charge ... who'd a thunk it?)

http://www.octobercountry.com/products/OC-Courier-Belt-Bag.html#

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 09:36:07 AM »
Hi again,

At $2.00-2.50 a shell, I think that I can stand to lose the 6" of belt space ... I should still have room for about 20 plus cartridge loops, even with the courier bag on the belt ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Skyrider

• Very Active Citizen
  • Thank A VET For Your FREEDOM!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 11:13:41 PM »
Now that is a very nice looking setup! I too want to get a belt or three made, one for the 45/120 and 2 others for a couple of big bore rifles. The one is a 500-Jeffery and the other is a .470-Capstick.
IRISH MIKE

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 11:21:38 PM »
skyrider,

Sewing the cartride loops by hand is a real b#@*h ... If I had anyone who would make one, I would have had them do it .....

But the best price for the quality that I have seen is by David Carrico.... I would just ask him for his .45 Scout Belt with longer loops ... Scroll down to see a pic and description of the belt ...

http://www.carricoleather.com/oldwestleather.html

NCOWS #3403

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 11:49:39 PM »
Wadd where did you get that pic of the "antique" belt. The reason I ask is the stamping pattern on the buckle billet is not antique - it's made up of a couple of Tandy stamps. Looks to be inspired by some originals but.....

As for making such a belt I do and will sew loops no problem although I charge extra for them rather than for the woven loops since  sew only by hand..........

Billy - great rig and the original belt has been shown in at least a couple of books and was part of an entire documented buffalo hunters outfit that was up for auction a while back - here's a pic of the belt with suspenders from James Rosa's book "Guns of the American West"

and here's the whole outfit
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 12:05:38 AM »
Chuck,

I got the pic from another SASS member ... I assumed it was antique because of the Verdigris on the threads ... Mea Culpa ... kinda reminds me of that old military saying about what happens when you 'assume'...

Any way, got the first cartridge loop sewn tonight ... gonna try to get one a night until it is done. Then plan to take it to a local saddle maker (who uses  a machine) to first put a suede backing on it and then do all the edging ....

Anyway, that is the plan ....*S*

NCOWS #3403

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 12:54:57 AM »
Thanks for the reply and yep as my Granpapa stated assume most times = make an ass out of you and me...... ;)  ;D  ;)
aka Nolan Sackett

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 12:25:43 PM »
Chuck:
I am glad you called our attention to the rosette, I never thought about using a pear shader in combination with that flower stamp to make a larger rosette.  Duh! 

I have a question about the original belt, the D rings for the suspenders--are they sewn or rivetted to the belt?  I cannot tell from either picture. 

T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Skyrider

• Very Active Citizen
  • Thank A VET For Your FREEDOM!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 06:42:56 PM »
Mr. Ellis looks like you did an outstanding job with the needle and thread! My hands and fingers are such I would have to have a miracle done by Christ before I could attempt such work. 8)
IRISH MIKE

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 07:01:46 PM »
Skyrider,

I can only hope that mine ends up looking as nice as my photo inspiration did .... and yuh never know, the Big Guy is still working those miracles ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 11:07:36 PM »
Chuck:
I am glad you called our attention to the rosette, I never thought about using a pear shader in combination with that flower stamp to make a larger rosette.  Duh! 

I have a question about the original belt, the D rings for the suspenders--are they sewn or rivetted to the belt?  I cannot tell from either picture. 

T-Joe

Looks to me like the d-rings were mounted with a strip sewn in between the two layer of the belt - anyway that's one way I've made them.

As for the rosette the three stamps look to me to be Craftool:
J816 Flower for the center and rather than a pair shader the outer ring is a sunburst - either N300 or the slightly larger one 300 which is apparently discontinued

The reason I recognized it is I have done rosettes in a similar style with
the discontinued J787 8 petal flower, with a J615 flower center, and the 300 or N300 sunburst.

I've also used pear shaders for rosettes though
Here;s just one example where I used the smaller 6 petal flower in the center with an N720 Sunburst along the outer edge of the petals, then about 1 1/8" -1 1/4" from the center I draw a circle and along the outer edge I use the same N72o sunburst. On the inside curve of the sunburst I then use a pear shade

If you look through the website you'll see variations on the same theme like this one - where I added some straight lines where the outer sunbursts meet - this is one from my Frontier Holsters DVD
aka Nolan Sackett

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 08:28:45 AM »
Awesome.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 08:40:37 AM »
Hi,

I bought one of Will Ghormley's 1 1/2" flower stamps that he uses for his Frank James holsters I will have to play with the Tandy stamps that I have to see if any enlarges it ... then again at 1 1/2" it might be large enough without any extra stamping

http://www.willghormley-maker.com/StampsAndTools.html

NCOWS #3403

Offline Caprock Louis

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 03:31:42 PM »
Do not have cartridge belt however I had a bandelero made.  It is cool beyond description however I rarely wear it as it is so heavy when I include shells. holds 60.  I do not know how they wore TWO bandeleros of those in the movies.  Looks good but when you have a pair of them and a Sharps one needs to workout to take them out hog hunting..Lost deep in the heart of Texas

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 12:53:24 AM »
Caprock,

I figure 20-25 will be enough ... if I shoot more than that at one setting, I would imagine both my shoulder and wallet (at $2.00-$2.50/shell) would be hurting ... *S* and historcally, I am not sure that the hunters fired off more than 20-25 shot per day ....

TTFN,

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com