Author Topic: Hunting with BPCRs  (Read 21834 times)

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hunting with BPCRs
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 08:13:56 PM »
I don't think I've ever used anything but BP to kill birds, but ufortunately BPCR's are illegal for deer hunting in Iowa except for the lower three tiers of counties........I'm not driving that far to kill deer.

Make that lower "TWO TIERS". I live in the third tier up...........rifles ain't allowed up here.  :(
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 09:34:46 AM »
Hey Dusty Morningwood ,I agree .I think you have plenty of gun and some fine ones at that . I saw pic. of those full stock Husqvarnas .Some kinda Cool.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, 11:27:13 PM »
Howdy
I like to use my 1876 or my 1873 to Deer hunt . Shooting BP ammo out of these Rifles is a ton of Fun .

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:08:42 PM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 406
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 09:35:30 AM »

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of it's victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies.
The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those that torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

C.S. Lewis

PJ; Do you mind if I pinch that quote?  It is a perfect description of our modern INsecurity state, theocracies, and all forms of political correctness
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
Sir Chuck

Sorry for the delay in responding .... Christmas and all that. 

By all means, adopt the quote by the late Christian writer/philosopher C.S. Lewis. It perfectly describes our left-wing PC environment with the social engineering elite telling us what is best for us in all things, from child rearing to self-defence.

As an officer of the court, another you might consider adopting is one by the late atheist philosopher Ayn Rand:

"The only power any government has is to crack down on crime and criminals. Where there aren't enough criminals, then one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's in that for anyone? But just pass the kinds of law that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted and you create a nation of lawbreakers - and then you can cash in on their guilt." Ayn Rand from "Atlas Shrugged"

This quote seems to describe the situation of Canadian gun owners - with the stroke of a pen, tens of thousands of hitherto law-abiding gun owners became criminals when they refused to register themselves, their long guns and their "prohib" pistols. It is ethically and morally correct to disregard unreasonable law; a duty, in fact.

I fear that our American friends are headed for much the same Orwellian regime, unless they are of the same cloth as their forefathers.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 406
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 11:52:41 AM »
PJ;  The c.s.lewis quote is on my facebook.  THX
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2013, 12:58:28 PM »
Let's hope that it generates some thought.

The legion of "omnipotent moral busybodies" never sleeps and has both the power of big government and the liberal/left-wing media  behind it.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Ibgreen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 10:23:47 PM »
Well 56-50 is technically a BPCR load.  I just have a few more quick shots.

Offline Space Cowboy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 11:54:03 PM »
Hi Folks,

Thats a BPCR wild boar stalked to 70 m, shot with my Rolling Block just two deays before new years eve.

And I agree: there is no better hunting experience than taking a game with a blackpowder arm. In today's high tech World, this is one of the last real things... Even hunting is strating to become a high tech oriented sport, taking away the challenge, culture, heritage. But not with BP loaded hunting.  :)

Cheers.
SC 

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 12:12:25 AM »
Hey Space Cowboy, I feel the same way about hunting .I have started hunting with BP. gun's only and it has put the fun back into hunting for me . Hunting was starting to feel like just killing to me ,with the modern weapon's. Now with BP. old time gun's it feel's like hunting again. Glad to see other's picture's that enjoy the same type of hunting. Good Luck,......Dusty Texian.

Offline Space Cowboy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 02:55:58 AM »
Hey Space Cowboy, I feel the same way about hunting .I have started hunting with BP. gun's only and it has put the fun back into hunting for me . Hunting was starting to feel like just killing to me ,with the modern weapon's. Now with BP. old time gun's it feel's like hunting again. Glad to see other's picture's that enjoy the same type of hunting. Good Luck,......Dusty Texian.

Yes... I have quite few rifles in my cabinet, and I had really nice memories with my 8x57 JRS Krieghoff Kipplauf as well. But to be hinest it is not a challange to take a game at 100-150 m with an 8 power scope...
And the best is when I am with my hannoverian dog.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2013, 03:44:41 PM »
Hey Space Cowboy, that is a very nice looking dog you have there. Is your dog a trailing dog . Nice Boar , Can you hunt Wild Boar all year?

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2013, 10:01:33 PM »
Space Cowboy
That's a nice Remington RB and a fine hog too . I liked the picture of you , your 1873 , and your dog . Fine looking dog . I think you've got the Vintage Hunting all figured out . Good Job .

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2013, 05:49:18 AM »
Used my C. Sharps in 45/120/550 to take this Mule Deer in west Tx. This past season,time to blow off the dust and use it hog huntin......Dusty

Offline Seven Jones

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2013, 03:39:03 PM »
I love useing my 1886 40-82 for deer hunting, and took my first Elk ( 5x5 bull) with my IAB 45-70 used the same
load as I do for 500m Rams ??gr. 2f goex and 500gr. rcbs  sillouette bullet (hand cast 30/1)
 The Elk got alost as close as those rams do, but after you have the range figuredout ya just hold
and shoot

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2015, 05:32:06 PM »
Checked the old Sharps long range rifle today. The RHO scope is just as I left it. Fired 10 count of the regular load 550 gr. bullets and 10 of the 354gr. PP. bullets  in the 3-1/4" case full of 2ff Swiss Bp. Both gave great groups and will work for my upcomming Desert Mule Deer hunt along the Texas / Mexico border. Here is a pic. of the 6x6 Desert Mule deer taken last season on the Mule Shoe ranch Brewster Co. Tx. Same long range rifle same canyon , just a bit older ,,,DT

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2015, 06:14:28 PM »
Sounds like a wonderful trip, Dusty.  I know you'll thoroughly enjoy it and have some photos for us.

If I get the chance to go hunting, I have a C Sharps 1875 Sharps carbine that I intend to use.  It's a tack driver out to as far as I would try to make a shot with a 45-70. 
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2015, 08:16:19 PM »
I have a Sharps rifle that I bought as a barrel action in 1979 and stocked it myself.  It originally was a .45 x 3 1/4" (45-120) and I shot three moose with it over several years of hunting...all one shot kills.  I then rebarreled it with a McGowan .50 cal business barrel in .50 Alaskan, to get away from the recoil of the big .45 cal.  Now I shoot a 600 gr. BACo bullet and 90 gr. Swiss 1 1/2 Fg...so I didn't get too far away from recoil, did I?  I have not used the big .50 yet for hunting, but one of these days, I'll get drawn for bison up north, and then it'll be time to take her along.

Firing pin issues: mine is a Farmington NY rifle with a four digit serial number.  The first thing to go was the tip of the pin separated.  I simply faced it off drilled a hole and set a new pin in the cavity.  Then the one piece pin shattered across it's width, so I silver soldered it back together, and it has been standing up just fine since then.  I should buy a replacement pin for it, but I'll be damned if I'm sending my breech block away, and then have to pay taxes on it when it returns to Canada, as if I had purchased a new one.  BACo sells a replacement pin, but I can file one out cheaper, especially with our dollar in the toilet.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2015, 11:05:45 AM »
Sounds like a wonderful trip, Dusty.  I know you'll thoroughly enjoy it and have some photos for us.

If I get the chance to go hunting, I have a C Sharps 1875 Sharps carbine that I intend to use.  It's a tack driver out to as far as I would try to make a shot with a 45-70. 
Hope you get a chance to go BB. If I get another , it would be a C. Sharps 1875 in .40 cal. They are fine rifles.,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2015, 11:24:25 AM »
I have a Sharps rifle that I bought as a barrel action in 1979 and stocked it myself.  It originally was a .45 x 3 1/4" (45-120) and I shot three moose with it over several years of hunting...all one shot kills.  I then rebarreled it with a McGowan .50 cal business barrel in .50 Alaskan, to get away from the recoil of the big .45 cal.  Now I shoot a 600 gr. BACo bullet and 90 gr. Swiss 1 1/2 Fg...so I didn't get too far away from recoil, did I?  I have not used the big .50 yet for hunting, but one of these days, I'll get drawn for bison up north, and then it'll be time to take her along.

Firing pin issues: mine is a Farmington NY rifle with a four digit serial number.  The first thing to go was the tip of the pin separated.  I simply faced it off drilled a hole and set a new pin in the cavity.  Then the one piece pin shattered across it's width, so I silver soldered it back together, and it has been standing up just fine since then.  I should buy a replacement pin for it, but I'll be damned if I'm sending my breech block away, and then have to pay taxes on it when it returns to Canada, as if I had purchased a new one.  BACo sells a replacement pin, but I can file one out cheaper, especially with our dollar in the toilet.                                                           
GL that 50 Alaskan / 600 gr. should get the game , and your attention!  Mine is a C. Sharps three digit Sr. # has been a great shooter , have had 0 trouble from it so far. Sounds like I should get a spare extractor and fireing pin and fit them in advance.  The 354 Gr.PP bullets shot real good in the 3-1/4 with a lube wad over 105 gr. 2ff Swiss. recoild was not bad at all. Should be a smacker on medium game out to 200 yd. or so . ,,,DT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com