Author Topic: Questions from a newbie  (Read 5639 times)

Offline Frazee Ridge

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Questions from a newbie
« on: May 21, 2008, 01:53:04 PM »
I hope you don't mind a couple of questions from a new Pedersoli Sharps owner.  I am planning on loading my own ammo and wonder:  1.  What kind of primers should I buy? 2.  What kind of bullets do you all use? 3.  What's the best powder?  4.  Last question, what kind of sights?  I was planning to purchase a Pedersoli long range sight from Cabela's.  Any opinions? 

Hope I am not asking too much all at once but I know little. 

Thanks for your help. 

Offline Otter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Questions from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 10:43:35 PM »
I hope you don't mind a couple of questions from a new Pedersoli Sharps owner.  I am planning on loading my own ammo and wonder:  1.  What kind of primers should I buy? 2.  What kind of bullets do you all use? 3.  What's the best powder?  4.  Last question, what kind of sights?  I was planning to purchase a Pedersoli long range sight from Cabela's.  Any opinions? 

Hope I am not asking too much all at once but I know little. 

Thanks for your help. 

1. large rifle primers or large rifle magnum primers although some have used large pistol primers with success.
2. depends on caliber (which you failed to mention). for 45-70, best long range (500 yards and up) bullet is lead/tin alloy cast in the 500 grain and heavier range and lubed with an SPG-type lube.
3. REAL BLACK POWDER (bet you didn't want to hear that).
4. If you purchase the Pedersoli sights from Cabela's (or anywhere else), you will be buying another set in the relatively near future. Many use MVA and others. I have two sets of Parts Unknown long range sights and have been happy with them.

The Pedersoli Sharps is a very good rifle. Reloading for a BPCR rifle is unlike loading for a "normal" high power rifle/cartridge. Each barrel likes something different, even if just minutely different, from the one before it in the line and the one after it in the line. Don't want to try to scare you off at all, but it ain't like grabbing a Rem 700 and 20 rounds off the shelf. It is a process and takes a fair bit of experimenting to find the "proper" load for the rifle.
I hate rudeness in a man, I won't tolerate it . . . W.F. Call

NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »
The Pedersoli long range Soule sight http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0012650214551a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=soule&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=soule&noImage=0 isn't too bad but the others are terrible. Unless you're wanting to buy it using cabela's bucks save your money and get a better quality sight somewhere else. I had a cheap long range sight on my Cabela's Pedersoli Sharps and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. Finally gave up and spent almost as much for sights as I gave for the rifle and now it's one of my best shooting rifles.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:14:45 PM »

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 10:59:04 AM »
I ordered  a set ot Mid-range MVA sights and a globe front sight along with some other items from MVA a month ago and am still waiting for my merchandise to arrive.
 I contacted them twice in the past month and was told that they were waiting for the base to arrive.
 I was told at the time I placed the order that I should receive my merchandise within a two week period, that has come and gone, I'm still waiting. can anyone tell me what is the normal waiting period for sights from MVA?
  These sights are to be mounted on my Pedersoli .45/70 by a gunsmith I contacted locallly after I was told the origonal [estimated] DOA.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Grogan

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #3584
    • Grogan's Photo Albums
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 12:59:16 PM »
I ordered  a set ot Mid-range MVA sights and a globe front sight along with some other items from MVA a month ago and am still waiting for my merchandise to arrive.
 I contacted them twice in the past month and was told that they were waiting for the base to arrive.
 I was told at the time I placed the order that I should receive my merchandise within a two week period, that has come and gone, I'm still waiting. can anyone tell me what is the normal waiting period for sights from MVA?
  These sights are to be mounted on my Pedersoli .45/70 by a gunsmith I contacted locallly after I was told the origonal [estimated] DOA.

In my past experience/s with MVA their delivery was pretty close to what they stated.

Of course if they are waiting on another source of parts or materials, then it might be a little bit more OUT of their hands.
Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »
I bought a set of Cabelas/pedersoli sights and wasn't happy so I sent them to lee shaver and spent $50 to get them tightned up, still not very good plus you can't read the graduations.I now have MVA's on both my Sharps $480 sounds like a lot of money for a sight but once you have one you won't  regret it. When you hit the target at 1000 yards, then it's all worth it.

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 06:28:44 AM »
Thanks Grogan and Bear tooth, for the words of encourgement, I sent MVA an email Sunday night threatening to pull my order if I didn't hear from them this week. Yersterday being a holiday, I am still waiting. hopefully I'll hear from them sometime during this workweek. I went with MVA because I heard they were top o the line and the not-so-good-things I've heard about the Pedersoli sights. They say "patient is a vitue" perhaps I should wait a bit longer.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Grogan

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #3584
    • Grogan's Photo Albums
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 12:55:27 PM »
Thanks Grogan and Bear tooth, for the words of encourgement, I sent MVA an email Sunday night threatening to pull my order if I didn't hear from them this week. Yersterday being a holiday, I am still waiting. hopefully I'll hear from them sometime during this workweek. I went with MVA because I heard they were top o the line and the not-so-good-things I've heard about the Pedersoli sights. They say "patient is a vitue" perhaps I should wait a bit longer.

Even if you have to wait longer than what you'd like (and what's been promised you), you won't be disappointed!

(And they'll be WORTH the wait, you can take that to the Bank!)
Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

Offline Frazee Ridge

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 05:22:49 PM »
Thanks to everyone that replied.  I am convinced.  I won't buy the Pedersoli sights.  I appreciate everyone's help.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 09:32:35 AM »
Even if you have to wait longer than what you'd like (and what's been promised you), you won't be disappointed!

(And they'll be WORTH the wait, you can take that to the Bank!)

Well Grogan, Bear tooth; I'm heading for the bank today--- just got off the speaking wire with MVA and was told to expect my sights Friday!
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com