Author Topic: close one eye when.......  (Read 6834 times)

Offline Kaboom Andy

• Very Active Citizen
    • AZ Gunleather
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
close one eye when.......
« on: October 10, 2005, 02:39:44 AM »
you are shooting?

I'm asking it coz I saw a video of Holy Terror and it's clear that she close one eye to aim at the target..............are you doing the same?
It's better both eyes open for peripheral vision or close one to see the front sight better?

It's a big question..............................

TY for suggestions
Duelist it's a way of life..........
-----------------------------------------
AZ Gunleather
Kaboom Andy
SASS# 63050
HTR#2

Offline Wrangler Rich

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: close one eye when.......
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 07:10:54 AM »
I keep both eyes open for shotgun all the time.  Most of the time with the rifle, both  eyes are open, on the occasional longer shot or smaller target, I'll close an eye.  With my pistols, I've found that I get better hits if I close an eye, because I shoot gunfighter, sometimes I'll get the wrong eye on a pistol.

You'll find that an advantage to keeping both eyes open will be less eye strain along with better peripherial vision. 

;) ;D
Hiram's Ranger # 10
It's not like it used to be, but it'll do.

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Major General, VIII Corps, Commander Middle Dept.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Savior of Washington D.C.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 08:26:20 AM »
I keep both open because it's just not that far to the target.  The only time I use one eye is when I shoot the Sharps downrange.   :D
Retired USAF, 20 years defending my beloved nation
NRA Life, SUVCW, GAF#164, AF&AM, AASR

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:20:45 AM »

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 12:51:30 PM »
I close 1 eye.  I've tried and tried and tried to learn to shoot with both eyes open.  For whatever reason, my physiology doesn't allow it.

The only time I can shoot with both eyes open is if I'm shooting a gun with an electronic red dot sight.

Doc

Offline Kaboom Andy

• Very Active Citizen
    • AZ Gunleather
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 05:03:30 AM »
It's a big debate, when I'm shooting I'm sure I can aim and see the front sight clear (with both eyes open) but when I'm trying to do it at home for practice I can't!!!!!! or.............unconsciously I close one eye.
AZ Gunleather
Kaboom Andy
SASS# 63050
HTR#2

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 10:40:39 PM »
I keep both eyes open. I shoot double duelist so when I shoot my right pistol, I aim with my right eye and when I shoot the left one, I use my left eye to aim. If I happen to line up the wrong eye on the sights, I just squeeze one off anyway since either one will do. It's just less head motion to use the eye on the same side as the pistol.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Kaboom Andy

• Very Active Citizen
    • AZ Gunleather
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 05:08:58 AM »
I keep both eyes open. I shoot double duelist so when I shoot my right pistol, I aim with my right eye and when I shoot the left one, I use my left eye to aim. If I happen to line up the wrong eye on the sights, I just squeeze one off anyway since either one will do. It's just less head motion to use the eye on the same side as the pistol.

MWW,
if you can do this you cna be my hero.............. :D I can't use my left eye to aim at all
AZ Gunleather
Kaboom Andy
SASS# 63050
HTR#2

Lars

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 11:44:11 AM »
When I shoot right handed I keep both eyes open, as I have ever since age 5. Now that my right eye is failing, I need the left eye for general, wide-angle view of the whole down-range area.

Now that I have to shoot handguns left handed, if I want to fire more than a few shots, I close my failing right eye to get a "clean" sight picture.

Lars

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 09:27:40 PM »
I can't use my left eye to aim at all
I do most things both right and left handed. Some things, like swinging an axe feel so comfortable both ways I really don't know which is right (or left) handed.
I trashed my right shoulder once. Had to eat with my left hand. Had to shave with my left, too. It took a while, but after the cuts healed up, I was pretty good at it. :D Now I do it equally so I stay in practice.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Prof. Bullspit

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 09:30:52 AM »
I keep both eyes open. As some have mentioned, if I am shooting a pistol left handed I aim with my left eye, occasionally I find that I have to close the right eye briefly to make sure my left eye is doing the job.

When I aim a gun I can see two front sights. My right eye is slightly dominant so it wants to be the main site picture.

Offline E.R.Beaumont

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 04:50:07 PM »
Howdy Pards.
KaBoom, Pard if you have a cross dominamt eye problem, remember that the eye you have open is your Master Eye.  There are other ways to help out.  One of them is to put scotch tape on the lens on your glasses for the "other eye".  That way you get the light and less eye strain.  You can also smere vasilene on your other lens, works the same. 

I think that this is one area that dry fire practice definately helps.  You can take the time and work on seeing with the eye you want to use to aim with.   

Just my two bits in the kitty.
Regards, Beaumont
SASS Life#21319
NRA Life, Endowment
CCRKBA Life

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 06:08:14 AM »
Right eye only for CAS.  But I have been practing changin'. 
When I shoot trap (fairly well) I use right only.  An' it works fine.  They tell me not to.

"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Silent Joe

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 10:49:57 AM »
By pistol I use both eyes. When I shoot my Lever-action I close my left eye. That works fine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com