Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Uberti, Pietta and other SAA Clones

Uberti VS. Pietta -Video

(1/5) > >>

RRio:

45 Dragoon:
I would add that another frame difference would be that  the Pietta won't handle any +p loads like the Ubertis can. I know mentioning this may seem petty  but someone will  eventually say a Ruger is better. So, as a preemptive measure,  if you have a 45acp cylinder for your revolver,  don't fire any +p's unless you have an Uberti.  It's hard to believe that an additional  2,000 psi is the "go / no go" for the Pietta ( obviously,  no +p 45C rounds either). Wish I had my El Patron  back  .  .  .

Mike

Coffinmaker:

:) Oh Wow  ;)

Another HACK who has learned to make a Video.  I lasted almost three minutes before I wrote this clown off.  He doesn't even know the correct nomenclature of the 45 Colt cartridge.  He is using the "wrong" Pietta for his "comparison."  GW II by Pietta also has a removable base pin bushing.

I admit, that's where I quit.  I just couldn't stomach the dude.

To be somewhat argumentative, neither sample example should be considered "safe" for +P.  The frame has nothing to do with it.  The consideration is the thickness of the cylinder walls.  Simply too thin for the pressure.

Advertising:

45 Dragoon:
  Well actually .  .  .   
 the Uberti  cylinders as well as USFA cylinders ( just happened to have one in the shop) are larger than Pietta cylinders which are the same size as Colt  SAA cylinders.  The larger Uberti cylinders can in fact handle 45acp +p's  and 45C +p's  ( check out Brian Pearce's article about the 45C +p's ( USFA's are mentioned as well)). Anyway,  the cylinders are fine and the frames they're in can support them.
   The difference isn't only in the size of the cylinder, but the frames as well. The Pietta frame is also the same size as the Colt and neither can handle the +p ammo mentioned.  The larger frame of the Uberti is an ample support system for the cylinder and the ammo.
  My own experience  with my Pietta made Frontier with dual cylinders allowed me to "test fire" 45acp +p's  before I shot them in my (Kirst) converted 1860 Uberti. I wanted to get some idea of what to expect before firing them in the '60.  Five rounds of Hornady Critical Duty +p's  went down range with a rather attention getting  report along with recoil  that made me question  for an instant if I should continue. That was the whole reason for going to the range so I continued.  First 5 was no big deal so the remaining rounds went down range as well with excellent accuracy!! I was extremely pleased!! So, that was 5 through the Pietta Frontier  / 15 through the '60. Since that time, about 400 of the 1500 rounds through the '60 have been +p's.
  After I got home the first thing I did was to swap  the cylinder in the Pietta back to the 45C cyl.  Started putting rounds in and the cyl couldn't rotate a round past battery!! I couldn't believe it!! 5 rounds BENT the frame of my Pietta Frontier!!!  Next day I had to open up more headspace so the 45C  rims would  cycle through. Needless to say, it hasn't been to the range since!!  It's a beauty to look at but just no desire to take it to the range   .  .  .

So, if the frame  can't support the cylinder that can .  .  .  best to stick with tier 1 loads.

Oddly enough,  the only Remington I have is a Pietta  ( 5 1/2" bbl)  and of course has a 45C Kirst equalizer gated conversion in it. The top strap on those is substantially thicker and wider than the '73 offerings. Wouldn't that be something if the Remington turns out to be the "real" beast in the Pietta lineup?!!!

To be continued  .  .  . 

Mike

Coffinmaker:

Well Actually,

I do agree with the Dragoon.  The USFA and the Uberti (USFA copied Uberti) cylinders and frames are some larger than PIETTA or Colt.  Atza Fact.

However, after a good hard look at both Colt and Pietta cylinders, I was never tempted to venture into the realm of "Plus P."  Is obvious the cylinder walls are too thin for "Hot Rodding" and running hot load thru them is a Fool's Errand.  Likewise, I was also never tempted to run +P level ammunition thru Uberti either.  That also made no sense as I had the perfect vehicle for a Hot Rod.  Ruger Blackhawk.  Along with the Blackhawk, I have great faith in Kirst cylinders.  Kirst take a licking and keep right on ticking.

Just because one can get away with something, doesn't necessarily mean one should.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version