CAS TOPICS > The Leather Shop

New Skiving Knife

(1/3) > >>

Marshal Will Wingam:
For years, I've used a lot of different knives for skiving, never being completely satisfied with any of them. In the following photo, mostly the round knife and the one to the right of it have been pretty much my go-to knives for the job.

Today I made one to use just for skiving. The material used was piece of a circular saw blade left over from when I made my round knife. I shaped it with a peanut grinder and roughed in the edge with my 90 RPM water bath knife grinder. It throws water all over the place but it works great. At first I made it with a straight cutting edge but it was not very good. The center of the cutting edge wouldn't cut completely through a piece of leather without the point or heel digging into the work bench. I put a curve to the edge and it works much better. It's only ground from one side so I can get down low with it if needed. I'll try it for a while and if it works good, I'll fashion some kind of handle on it. The hardest thing is going to be protecting the edge when it's in the toolbox. Maybe I can find something to cover just the cutting edge or something.

I see Osborne has a couple different knives that would work but I didn't want to wait for one to arrive and this scrap of saw blade has been getting in the way for a few years. It was a good excuse to get a knife and get rid of an eyesore hanging from a beam in the garage.

So the question comes to mind, what do all of you use for skiving?

Cliff Fendley:
You'll have to make you a small sheath for it to cover the blade portion. It's always so satisfying working with tools you made yourself. Nice work Marshall

Capt Quirk:
I use a Tandy skiver, sort of a cross between a plane and a safety razor I guess. It has replaceable blades, and is pretty simple. I appreciates that.

Advertising:

Marshal Will Wingam:

--- Quote from: Cliff Fendley on June 15, 2022, 08:43:33 PM ---You'll have to make you a small sheath for it to cover the blade portion. It's always so satisfying working with tools you made yourself. Nice work Marshall

--- End quote ---
Thanks, Cliff. Yes, working with tools you make is totally satisfying. As a bonus, you know they aren't made in China. I'm thinking about what to do for a sheath. Probably leather. Also it's going to need a handle of some sort on it. That will keep the knife from going too far into a sheath and cutting any stitching.

Capt, those Tandy skivers are interesting. I haven't tried one but  expect they would work well. Simple is a plus with most things.

Rube Burrows:
You are a man with many talents when it comes to tools and making what you need.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version