Author Topic: .56-.46 ammo.  (Read 5573 times)

Offline Boss Melton

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.56-.46 ammo.
« on: May 08, 2014, 09:40:46 PM »
I'm new here, so don't laugh. Any .56-.46 ammo for sale, for a shooter? Just a few rounds, so I can shoot this beauty. Hopefully under $30 per.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: .56-.46 ammo.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 10:38:37 AM »
Sorry to say, any original .56-46 you may find will very likely have dead priming compound and won't go off.  I have one original .56-46 cartridge in my collection, but its just for looks.  Just curious - what do you have to shoot it in?  Got any photos?  We like photos here ;D
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 01:26:24 PM »
I would expect that any original .56-46 Spencer ammo would (a) not fire; and (b) would be collector's items, and priced accordingly, so you would be shooting up a bunch of money. I'm not sure if a Spencer sporting rifle would accept a centerfire conversion breechblock or not. You'd have to measure the inside receiver and breechblock dimensions and check with S&S Firearms to see if their centerfire blocks would fit. (Even on the standard military rifles and carbines, the centerfire blocks can require some fitting.) If that hurtle is jumped successfully, you will then be faced with making reloadable brass, which for the .56-46 might be a bit more work than with the .56-56 or .56-50. Frankly, I'm not sure of the actual groove diameter of the sporting rifles...possibly a .44 or .45. Might want to slug the barrel to see what's feasible.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:57:26 AM »

Offline clyde

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 12:31:23 AM »
Hello,
Actually it is possible to shoot a spencer sporting rifle.  I do it with mine. The centerfire conversion breechblocks that  work for cavalry carbines or infantry rifles in 56-50 also do the trick for the 56-46 and 56-50 sporting rifles. Dimensions are exactly the same. You Can find 56-46 brass and reloading tools at Buffalo Arms. As for the bullet, 300 gr. 457 rnfp work fine, at least in mine. But given the price of the cf breechblock, the reloading tools and the brass cases, all this is a bit costly if you plan to just shoot it once. I suggest you use it on a more fréquent basis  :) :)
Clyde
Clyde - Spencer Shooter SSS 57

Offline Boss Melton

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 04:02:53 PM »
Thanks, all. I have two Spencers; one .56-.50 model '65 Burnside carbine, and one nice Sporter. I have some original .56-.50 RF, and haven't had a misfire, but haven't shot it much-still hate to do the centerfire switch, and really want to shoot the real thing. I'm old and stupid.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 11:39:22 PM »
Thanks, all. I have two Spencers; one .56-.50 model '65 Burnside carbine, and one nice Sporter. I have some original .56-.50 RF, and haven't had a misfire, but haven't shot it much-still hate to do the centerfire switch, and really want to shoot the real thing. I'm old and stupid.
Aside from the cost of the centerfire block and perhaps some cautious filing on the cf block (NEVER on the action itself!), the conversion is not permanent! Once fitted, it takes about fifteen seconds to swap the original block for the cf block, and visa-versa. My only reservation about shooting one nowadays is that the actions are 150 years old, and effectively wrought iron, and should be respected for their historical value, IMHO.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Boss Melton

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 05:39:12 AM »
Sorry to be so slow; been off to some gun shows. Still can't do pictures without help, but I have a Spencer rifle (sporter). Waiting on a new magazine from Taylors, but aside from that it's a beauty, tang sight and all. I also have a Model '65 carbine in .56-.50.

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 07:52:24 AM »
Hello:

Just my 2 cents and with all due respect:
Considering all the dimensional variations in Spencers, especially among the relatively few sporters, have you made sure that the repro parts will fit, please?  Beware of a "some fitting required" qualifier.  Even original parts from 1860/1865 may NOT fit your sporter without an expert's help.  The slightest variation in the stock's INTERNAL dimensions will make fitting a challenge. 

The only track record proven person that might help is Larry Romano.  He restores originals and can do ANYTHING you wish. 
Please think carefully before you risk damaging an original.  Thanks.

Kevin
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline Herbert

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 06:52:05 PM »
The AS repo magizine tubes will work in my Spencers but the fit is not good(there will be gaps between magizine cap and the butt plate ,the reproduction S&S magizine tubes fit fine.Of the 3 Spencer sporting rifle I have tryed with my S&S center-fire block all fitted well with good head space,the AS blocks will not work,head space will be way large

Offline Boss Melton

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 08:30:43 AM »
Thanks for all the input, folks. Been off to a couple of shows. I guess I'll keep watching the auctions for some loose .56-.46 rounds.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com