Author Topic: Sharing the Spencer Bug  (Read 3130 times)

1816flintlock

Sharing the Spencer Bug
« on: March 16, 2008, 07:08:17 PM »

I was down at Military Though the Ages at the James Town Settlement here in VA over the weekend.  Its a military living history time line event with groups from the Vikings to the present day taking part.  I naturally brought the Spencer with me and all who saw it liked it.  Helping out, Jamestown had a group of college and High School students from PA volunteering to keep everyone stocked with firewood, collect trash, etc.  As a measure of thanks, the park organized a special firing demonstaration was staged for them.  They were allowed to try firing a number of vinatge weapons including flintlocks, percussion rifle muskets, a Lee-Enfield and the Spencer.  The owners explained the operation of and loaded the arms with the volunteers then being allowed to hold and fire it (blanks of course).  I went through 20 rounds in about as many minutes and so was kept busy at one shot per person.

The park staff also enjoyed the Spencer.

Stephen

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Sharing the Spencer Bug
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 07:21:40 PM »
Stephen,

Thanks for the thread and for 'sharing the Spencer bug'.  Is that an original or reproduction Spencer rifle in the photos?  Just curious. 

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

1816flintlock

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 07:41:16 PM »
Two Flints,

The Spencer is the Taylors Spencer in 56-50 that I ordered last summer.  For blanks, I was using some I made from 45-70 cases.  I'm not 100% pleased with them but, they have the noise factor that the plastic ones so lack.

Stephen

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:16:44 AM »

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 08:07:04 PM »
Hi Stephen,

There have been a number of threads regarding blanks for the Spencer 56-50, so if you have the time, would you please go into some detail on the blanks that you make from 45-70 cases.

I'm sure those SSS members who have posted questions about blanks for the 56-50 Spencer would be very interested.

Thanks,

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline kurt250

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 01:19:32 AM »
great photos and good way to over come some of the bad press we have gotten lately. i shoot a 56-50 spencer carbine and rifle. when at our range i always get some one who shows a intrest in them and i alway let them fire a few rounds. its good p.r. for our hobby and the shooters are alway greatful. we should all do this for our hobby.the real fun comes when i meet some one who has never fired a real gun in there life. thats when a pull several different weapons and finish up with my 1928a-1 thompson submachine gun (yes i'm a class three lisence holder) that really gets them interested. the woman seem to like that the best. kurt250

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com