Author Topic: Need to vent - negative experience with online gun shops  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Need to vent - negative experience with online gun shops
« on: October 18, 2023, 01:17:33 PM »
I'm about ready to swear off online gun shops.  I'm getting really tired of them never answering e-mails and not taking phone calls.  If you're going to do business online, you need to be with it enough to do those things.  End of rant.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Need to vent - negative experience with online gun shops
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2023, 05:01:22 PM »
Missed a couple lately because shops won't return e-mails or answer phones.  I've had small dealers complain about losing business to large stores, but then give crappy service.  Can't say I feel bad when it doesn't work out for them.

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 584
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2023, 06:39:22 PM »
If it wasn't for the on-line shops, I would have nothing. There are a couple of local FFLs that will find what I want in the line of guns, but the closest store where I might find primers or powder is a good 80 mile drive away. I've never had any real issues with any on-line gun shop.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:30:50 AM »

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2023, 07:40:17 PM »
I sent three messages to one place saying I wanted it.  No response and now it's gone.  Tried calling and no one picked up the phone.  THAT says crap service to me.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2023, 07:42:33 PM »
I think customer service, in general wherever it's encountered, has declined in civility since the pandemic.

Add to that there was a slight uptick in firearm & ammunition sales as another side effect, but also a decrease in supply,  -  I'm not surprised gun stores have been unresponsive. Particularly if specialty gunsmithing is required.

I have had good service from Brownell's, VPI, Cabela's, Track of the Wolf, Dixie Gun Works . . . . most of the big online presence.
The worst experience was having a bolt modified by a cantankerous gentleman running a one-man shop and backlogged. But, eventually it turned out OK.

Does not excuse rude behavior, nor failing to live up to what's advertised.
Maybe a behind the scene bidding war?
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2023, 08:54:54 PM »
No, I think it was just they didn't check messages, and no one was answering the phone.  Sort of like the "Your call is extremely important to us!" message you get from a lot of answering services.  You can pretty much always tell that's just not true.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1160
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2023, 05:56:12 PM »
What River City John said….

Plus… there has been a huge trend for everyone to have an online sales prescence.
Got worse with covid.

However, in the rush to do so, the little guys just dont have the smarts or even the concept down yet.

Those big guys like Brownell's, VTI, Cabela's, Track of the Wolf, Dixie Gun Works,  they have it down pat.
Becuase Basically they are guys who were already doing mailorder and phone orders and had a system in place
Had it staffed, and knew enough to “staff up” with new computer geeks and more customer service folks….

Its not just gunshops….
Try ordering stuff “online” from home depot …. Then it gets delivered in 5 seperate loads and half is missing or damaged.
If you order it and go to pick it up, they never have the order ready and you wait 2 hours for them to get it together,
IF they can find it! Had that problem with every appliance I tried to “order” …

Faster to just go load the cart yourself.

Worst problem? Brick and mortar local shops disappearing due to internet competition.

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2023, 07:22:02 AM »
 I've never bought a gun online from a gunshop except for Barleycorn outfitters. He's a cowboy shooter and I shoot with him at different places. I've bought guns online from SASS Classified and from This Classified also but no online gunshops.
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2023, 12:07:39 PM »
On line firearms related purchases are not what they once were. Shipping costs are up, credit card fees and of course the sales tax almost better off buying from the gun shop.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2023, 05:27:55 PM »
We ALL wish we had good local gun shops, but most of us don't.  Even gun shows aren't that great.  Our local one last March had LOTS of AR stuff, and about one lever action.  Most of the guys who were into the stuff we like have died, unfortunately.  Heck, it's even difficult to find any revolvers at most of these shows and shops.

Offline Hair Trigger Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 914
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2023, 06:45:04 PM »
We ALL wish we had good local gun shops, but most of us don't.  Even gun shows aren't that great.  Our local one last March had LOTS of AR stuff, and about one lever action.  Most of the guys who were into the stuff we like have died, unfortunately.  Heck, it's even difficult to find any revolvers at most of these shows and shops.

Sounds about like the show in Norfolk in March.  Few tables with much interesting if you're not into "tactical" stuff.  I went Friday night and didn't bother going back.  I did have a good conversation (after closing technically) with one table that got in late and had several older arms.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2023, 10:47:25 PM »
The only time I was concerned was about a 1903 sporter purchase through GB. I could not get up with anyone no matter what I did after the initial contact and my money was sent. I eventually got ahold of the mgr/owner. Seems they only packed and shipped once every week or so and only a certain employee was responsible for the wrapping and shipping. I finally got the rifle.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2023, 03:02:07 AM »
I had several purchases on GB, but I won't trust it anymore, to many scammer stories.
  I have used Cabella's Gun Library once with a harmonious outcome....

I'm fortunate to have a friendly brick and mortar FFL locally.
  He is geared Mosty to, CCW, police and black guns (being ex-LEO himself) but he has a very good reputation in the community.
Cool stuff does come through the door, and I get a text when he knows it's in my wheelhouse. 

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2023, 12:21:22 PM »
Dealing with online sellers is a pain.  I've spent too much money returning guns that weren't as described (I could have paid for a revolver with the money I've spent on shipping, travel costs, etc just trying to find a BP-framed 4-click SAA in 44 special), or shipping hangups (2 months trying to straighten out a mess to get some rather-expensive books I'd ordered and paid for--seller sent the wrong address for payment, then shipped to the wrong address). 

Know what else is a pain?  Lousy or non-existent service in a gun store you've traveled to in order to make a purchase.  Went to Hall's in Kearney, they had some powder I was looking for.  After 15 minutes waiting at the register while the guys behind the counter TURNED THEIR BACKS TO ME and continued their football conversation, I walked out.  Cabelas in Kearney is the only place I wear a ballcap: I pin a couple hundred dollars to the brim in hopes their "customer service" people will deign to acknowledge I'm there to give them money.  Swede's in GI is worse than ever (and 20 years ago I never would have thought they could lower their customer service standards).  None of these businesses are new, so they don't have that excuse. 

My "local" gunstore is ~150 miles away.  I can't find a store in central Nebraska that is worth visiting. 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Hair Trigger Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 914
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2023, 12:55:59 PM »
My "local" gunstore is ~150 miles away.  I can't find a store in central Nebraska that is worth visiting.

I'm curious where your "local" store is.  I might be interested in visiting it if it's east of you.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1213
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2023, 05:07:42 PM »
...I've spent too much money returning guns that weren't as described (I could have paid for a revolver with the money I've spent on shipping, travel costs, etc just trying to find a BP-framed 4-click SAA in 44 special),...

Okay, here's two options for you. 
Buy a Cimarron Thunderer in 44 Special. ( 4 3/4" 44 Spcl Thunderer is model CA343).  That is a BP-framed 4-click gun, and I believe the Cimarron BP-framed Ubertis are still 4-click.  Then swap your grip frame and grip for the same from a Model P.  A lot of people like the Thunderer grip so it should be easy to find a swap and they will interchange. 
 OR
Buy a Cimarron BP-framed (4-click) 44-40 model P and then buy a 44 Spcl cylinder for it.  Then either sell your 44-40 cylinder or keep it so the gun is a convertible.

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2023, 02:41:25 PM »
I'm curious where your "local" store is.  I might be interested in visiting it if it's east of you.
Nebraska Gun in Lincoln.

Okay, here's two options for you. 
Buy a Cimarron Thunderer in 44 Special. ( 4 3/4" 44 Spcl Thunderer is model CA343).  That is a BP-framed 4-click gun, and I believe the Cimarron BP-framed Ubertis are still 4-click.  Then swap your grip frame and grip for the same from a Model P.  A lot of people like the Thunderer grip so it should be easy to find a swap and they will interchange. 
 OR
Buy a Cimarron BP-framed (4-click) 44-40 model P and then buy a 44 Spcl cylinder for it.  Then either sell your 44-40 cylinder or keep it so the gun is a convertible.
Thanks.  I got tired of wasting time and money, and went with a third option: an 1860 Army.  Not ideal, but like my 1879 trapdoor, I'd rather shoot than chase what I can't find.   
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2023, 05:00:32 PM »
You could drop in a Howell conversion Cyl. and have 45 Colt.

I suggest Howell if you want a simple drop in with no alteration to the gun.
 Or Kirst if you want to alter for a loading gate... :-\

https://howellarms.com/product/uberti-1860-army-45lc-45-schofield/
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2023, 07:40:40 AM »

:) Ha!!  ;)

I second the motion for the HOWELL cylinder.  And, tiffin you get real creative, you can always remove the excess barrel and have a 3-n-3/4 inch SNUBBIE  ;D   The Howell will also allow you to run Cowboy 45 Special, 45 Colt and 45 Schofield interchangeably.  Triple your pleasure you betcha.  Burma Shave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com