Author Topic: An opportunity?  (Read 32621 times)

Online St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: An opportunity?
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2004, 09:12:26 PM »
I guess you didn't know - I was recalled during my Separation Physical...

I'm still on Jump Status.

And we're on another Stop-Loss for the guys who do my kind of work.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2004, 05:14:37 AM »
No I didn't know, kinda of always figured you were to valuable to let go, I have always figured there were two kind of officers, ones that you go to war with and the other 99 percent, your a one percenter..... :)
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2004, 06:12:40 PM »
I.Will:  We don't have a problem with loads, as the posse furnishes smokeless shells.  The shooters can also use their own loads.  I shoot BP, so anyone shooting BP is welcome to use my shotgun, some of the others shoot smokeless, so one of them furnishes a shotgun for that.  It works out real well, and there is also a 20 gauge available for Ladies, etc..  By the way, we do not use gun carts, as we built gun racks for each stage that will allow parking 20 guns or so each.  We also use the one main match pistol format.  So, we all shoot "Working Cowboy" of a sort.  Over half of our members shoot BP, and most shoot Duelist.  We really have a great time.  Maybe you can come and join us sometime.  As for cleaning, it takes less time to clean a shotgun used with BP than with smokeless.  So, that has never been a problem.
The Johnson County Rangers, Paintsville, Ky. ;D
French Jack

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 03:04:14 PM »

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2004, 08:30:06 PM »
Sounds like you have it worked out pretty good.

Why is it that it appears as if some of our newer posses have come up with the most innovative ideas?

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2004, 11:40:36 AM »
Will, if you ever get a chance the Johnson Co. Rangers do put on one fine shoot.

French Jack, some of us at Great Lakes are trying to get an expedition together to attend your September shoot.

"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2004, 11:57:33 AM »
Dutch, the more, the merrier.  Load up all you can get and come on down.  We will roll out the old red carpet.  Let me know more ahead of time, and we'll get the chuckwagon ready.  You'all might practice your roping as well.  That way we can have a goooood roundup! ;D
French Jack

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2004, 01:35:15 PM »
That ropin' deal was the one fly in the ointment as far as the hospitality shown to Peevine and myself last year.  ;)

For my persona placing firewood under a still would be much more appropriate!
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2004, 06:48:06 AM »
It's easier to drag them Pinks if you get a rope around their pencil necks first.  The only thing you have to be careful about is that some of them have a reeeaal scrawny neck and their head comes off once in a while when they are bouncing behind a running horse.
As far as the still is concerned, this is the country well known for such valuable contraptions.  We have many expert operators in the "woods".  I still hear some of them grumbling about that "Whiskey Tax" and "Revenuers".
 ::) ;D ;)
French Jack

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2004, 10:17:24 AM »
Wait a minute I ain't no revenuer.  If you read my entry in the "My Chosen Alias" section you will see I left the Pinkertons because of their strike breaking and I do have a fondness for whiskey.

I do have principles ::)

I still work for them as a contact stock detective.  I can't abide a stock thief! >:(  Also I will go after those scoundrels that rob trains. :)

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2004, 10:59:50 AM »
Interestingly, during the 1800s some of the "Revenuers" were also "moonshiners". It was their way of increasing profits by arresting their competitors and destroying their stills.
-- G. K. Chesterton

-- Stephen King

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2004, 10:15:57 PM »
I decided a while ago to stay out of the shotshell slide and Ruger Vaquero discussion and wait until the Congress decided before commenting any more. However, someone mentioned "getting away from the modern world" and that raises a new point, for me at least.

If someone joins NCOWS to "get away" then they are doing themselves a disservice by using slides and/or RVs, because they are modern 20th century artifacts. My Pietta '51 Navy Colts are also modern, but they look just like '51 Navy Colts, they work just like '51 Navy Colts, and they are not modern 20th century artifacts, they are modern 19th century artifacts. Nothing that looked or worked like shotshell belt slides and Ruger Vaqueros existed prior to the 20th century, and that is why they should not be allowed.

I continue to call for leadership on this issue.
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2004, 07:53:05 PM »
I have re-read and re-thought my last post. I still feel the same, even more so, but I've realized it was out of place in this thread. Big Hext, my apologies, sir. Your original idea of a source of photos for examining and critiquing outfits is very useful, even brilliant . We should take advantage of the technology.
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Offline Lucky Deuce

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2004, 01:39:08 PM »
PC, NCOWS is such a small market I doubt it will have any impact.

I have never understood NCOWS members who are suppose to want to do things as authentic as possible resisting getting rid of the slides.

At the last congress we okayed cross bolt safeties because of legal ramifications.  No one has ever been able to provide a picture of a slide being used.  Authenticity is the biggest issue that separates NCOWS from SASS.

How true...  I agree that we should try and be as authentic as possible.  Can we ever be 100% authentic..no; but we can try and come as close as we can.  Are there some things we need to compromise on...like the coss bolt safeties...probably but only because of the safety factor.  Shotgun slides are not one of the things we should compromise on.  Back before i joined NCOWS I used a slide but since joining, I have removed it and am working like crazy to get my clothing and equipment to be as authentic as possible.  I just ordered a pair of CIvil War era glasses and a Civil War pocket knife and even a wooden pencil from CW Suttlers.  I figure if i keep going I wll eventually be able to be as authentic as I can. 

Being a member of SASS also, I get very aggravated at the way many members in that organization think about authenticity...  If we cannot maintain the fairly strict authenticity rules then we might as well just shoot in SASS and be done with it.

Offline Lucky Deuce

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2004, 01:41:56 PM »
I have re-read and re-thought my last post. I still feel the same, even more so, but I've realized it was out of place in this thread. Big Hext, my apologies, sir. Your original idea of a source of photos for examining and critiquing outfits is very useful, even brilliant . We should take advantage of the technology.

I agree with you on this too... it would be nice to be able to have a photo taken so we can check out our clothing and equipment.  Sometimes, we can think we are ok but some one else might be able to see something that is out of place.  And I need all the help I can get LOL....

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2004, 03:55:41 PM »

Certainly no apologies required.. the thread has long since left my original thought.  I do think that it's hard for those who live far from the center of the NCOWS universe to understand what is meant by certain phrases.  The software here is very friendly in that you don't need to host your picture anywhere else and can show exact representations of good and bad clothing choices. 
I appreciate your public apology.. see you down the trail.
Adios,

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The Lone Gunman ...as himself
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2004, 06:54:23 PM »
I would be honored to start off with a prime example of 'bad clothing choices'

George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2004, 07:16:34 PM »
But George, this is your normal everyday dress for NCOWS isn't it...  ::) ::) ::) ;D ;)
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2004, 07:22:12 PM »
And I was told ya shaved yer legs. :o
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2004, 07:48:20 PM »
Don't mess with the L.G.--- what appears to be a necktie is actually a real cactus stuck to his chest.  He's either feeling no pain or nuts or a man with grit. 
French Jack

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2004, 07:54:21 PM »
I ain't skeered of LG or his action figure.  LG has seen Monte Walsh and knows what happens if'n ya mess with the cook. :o :o

Delmonico knows some a da same tricks.  And Sears and Roebuck ain't got no catalog no mor'. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com