Author Topic: Authenticity question...kinda odd one too  (Read 7586 times)

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Authenticity question...kinda odd one too
« on: March 25, 2004, 02:34:18 PM »
Howdy pards,

This one might strike ya as an odd question but what the heck! ;)

I've been thinking about acquiring one of those cylinder loading tools for my New Model Army C&Bs, in order to load with the cylinders out of the guns. This will save wear & tear on the OEM loading levers and probably be easier for me to use than the rammer on the guns too.

My thinking is that I could use this at one of the loading tables, at an empty stage, and thereby not have to deal with having the revolvers out and going through all the things neccessary to be  loading a C&B wich might/could end up with the barrel pointed in the wrong direction at the wrong moment! :o

My question: Do you think this tool would be accepted at NCOWS matches? Or would it be too big a step beyond the Authenticity rules?
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
Re: Authenticity question...kinda odd one too
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 10:31:58 PM »
Cuts, I'm not sure just which tool you are referring to.  Do they sell them at Dixie?

Regardless I don't think they would be a problem.  Afterall the Baby Paterson was loaded with such a tool ;)

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 01:18:29 AM »
WILL!?!?!

Waddaya doin HERE? You should be getting ready fer The Traders Jubilee!!!!

The tool I'm thinking of is the one sold by October Country, Essentially jist a metal plate with a lever attached and a rammer hinged to the lever. Here: http://www.oct-country.com/shopcart/display-image.php?file=503_17-00112.jpg&aspect=1&height=250&width=250
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:58:10 AM »

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 06:56:12 PM »
I certainly hope the loading 'tool' won't be a problem as I'm considering buying one.  Sure will make it easier to load!!
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 10:15:59 AM »
I'm sure they would be OK at our posse (Great Lakes F&MC) as we also have a special area set aside for C&B shooters to work on their revolvers and pre-load their cylinders.

(If I'm wrong, I'm sure Dutch will corrcet me.)  ;)
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 12:10:55 PM »
I've seen a couple of guys set up loading tools, they don't even get a second thought around here... :)
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2004, 08:26:15 PM »
I can't see where there would be a problem ???

If there is I would like to know why?  I think we should do all we can to encourage cap and ball shooters.  If this tool helps I'm for it.  It wouldn't detract form the period look of the event.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Lucky Deuce

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 10:44:09 AM »
 ;D   I have 4 of them.  I ordered the first one from Cabela's and then got the others as a closeout from EMF I believe...its been acouple of years since I bought them.  I have a .36, 2 .44's, and a .31.  I use the .44 one (the other is a spare) to load the extra cylinders for matches (I have 13 extra cylinders that I preload the night before matches).  The .31 has a post that is too big for my little Remington cylinder to fit over so I removed it (it unscrews) and just hold the cylinder in place. 

I don't see why it would be a problem.. Its not modern looking and could even be compared to the Patterson system (The tool fits in the wedge hole).  I had a Remington that I wore the loading lever down to where it broke and I had to have it welded and a new hole drilled and then hardened.  So now I prefer using the tool.  Saves wear and tear on the loading lever and If I do have to use the lever I still can in emergencies. 

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2004, 08:15:13 PM »
Ok! I'm gonna buy one! It's going to be a while before I'm ready to try managing my C&B Remmies in a match, but this tool should help make it both easier and safer.

Thoughts: I think I'll make some cosmetic alterations to make it look more "period". Spray the base with black furnace paint to hide the fact that it's aluminum, and cover that plastic grip with leather. That way it will at least look like something a blacksmith might have made, even if they didn't really exist in the time period we wanna portray.
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914

Offline D. R. Greysun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 01:17:54 AM »
I reckon the would be frownd on fer loadin' on the clock.   ;D
D R

"Keep'm on the Steel"

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2004, 09:37:33 PM »
Thoughts: I think I'll make some cosmetic alterations to make it look more "period". Spray the base with black furnace paint to hide the fact that it's aluminum, and cover that plastic grip with leather. That way it will at least look like something a blacksmith might have made, even if they didn't really exist in the time period we wanna portray.

I'm told they did exist in our period! I've heard from reliable sources that it's in the catalogs. Great idea to paint the base, I'll do that with the one I have for my Remington Pocket Model. I got it from Dixie Gun Works, and it already has a wooden handle.
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vĂȘtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com