Author Topic: S.C. Gallup & Co. SAA Holster  (Read 737 times)

Offline BrushyCreekDouglas

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
S.C. Gallup & Co. SAA Holster
« on: March 03, 2023, 03:10:56 PM »
Afternoon Gents,

Decided to to try my hand at new holster today. It’s a pretty basic California style featured on page 89 of Packing Iron. In the blurb it states this holster was made by S.C. Gallup & Co in Dodge City sometime between 1875-1879. I’ve been trying to get a decent catalog of patterns that would’ve been around during the hide hunter years. This one, though simple has long been one of my favorites.

The main difference I made to the original was the weight of leather used. I opted for a 7-8oz instead of the listed “heavy skirting stock”, this weight actually turned out quite nice. Also I made it for a 5 1/2” SAA rather than a 7 1/2”.

I’ll be the first to admit that pattern making is not my favorite part of leatherworking, not by a long shot. However, it is extremely satisfying when the pattern is finally refined enough to cut leather.

Hope everyone doing well!

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: S.C. Gallup & Co. SAA Holster
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 03:17:32 PM »
Looks great. That holster is one of my favorites, too. The simple clean lines make quite a pleasing holster.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2023, 05:45:21 AM »
Very nice. Clean and neat. My kind of Rig. I agree that making your own patterns is satisfying and also lots of fun. Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:59:53 AM »

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2023, 07:51:42 PM »
The more patterns you get the easier it becomes. Besides experience in making them you can find a couple that are close and trace that pattern on first and that lets you know the general size it needs to be in certain areas. I guess I probably have way over 100 patterns I've made hanging on the wall.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2023, 10:58:05 PM »
The more patterns you get the easier it becomes. Besides experience in making them you can find a couple that are close and trace that pattern on first and that lets you know the general size it needs to be in certain areas. I guess I probably have way over 100 patterns I've made hanging on the wall.
Whew. Here I thought I had made way too many patterns. It's good to know I'm not alone.

Actually, I find the same you do about starting with one or two that are close and adjusting the new one from there.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com