Author Topic: Second Battle of Adobe Walls Gun-leather  (Read 993 times)

Offline BrushyCreekDouglas

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
Second Battle of Adobe Walls Gun-leather
« on: March 01, 2023, 06:32:30 AM »
Morning gents,

Over coffee this morning, I began thinking about my most recent area of obsession, the Second Battle of Adobe Walls. For the past couple of months I’ve been reading just about everything I can find on the subject, from Billy Dixon’s biography to the halfway decent historical fiction novel by Jeff Guinn, “Buffalo Trail.” I suppose most of this obsession is centered around my personal favorite of the big names of old west history, Bat Masterson. This morning I’ve been asking myself, what did Bat, Billy and the other hunters and merchants at the post look like? Of course we’ve all seen the studio portraits taken of these legends, but the fancy clothes in those is naturally not what they wore on the hunt. Heck, prior to Bat settling into city life, I’m sure he would’ve been unrecognizable to the image we have of him. Since I’m about to start working on a hide hunter leather gear set from the 1874 period in anticipation for my Shiloh Sharps being built, I figured I’d post this here to open up discussion as to their gear.

One picture that stands out to me and may be a fairly accurate representation as to the look for hunters at the time was the 1874 studio portrait of a young Bill Tilghman and Jim Elder featured on page 70 of packing iron. (I’ve read somewhere that it was taken in Dodge City, but I’m not sure how reliable that info is.) In it both seem to be wearing work clothes and not what most would consider town clothes. Bill seems to be wearing a shirt quite similar to the “battle shirts” of the war between the states.

Tilghman’s cartridge belt is pretty thin, which from what I gather from folks on here who are far more knowledgeable than I, would have been more common in the summer of ‘74 than the  3” or wider belts of the late 70’s and 80’s.  (Granted I’m sure saddle shops would have made you a cartridge belt of whatever width you wanted.)

Their holsters as mentioned in the book text are flap holsters, though I’m unsure what model revolver they hold. And Elder’s belt almost seems to be of the Fairweather Christian style at first glance, with an officers belt buckle. I’m guessing there would have been a fair amount of military equipment whether holsters or belts among other items in their outfits, maybe due to cost? I’m guessing surplus equipment was a thing then as now.

This may be the wrong subforum to post this in, if so my apologies. It always makes history more fun to read if I can have an accurate picture of what folks would’ve looked like and been armed with at the time. I would love to get your thoughts and any insights on this topic, as I’m sure many of you know far more than me about this stuff!

Hope everyone is doing well,

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Second Battle of Adobe Walls Gun-leather
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 08:42:02 AM »
Fascinating outfits. No doubt going for comfort and durability. As you pointed out, those belts are narrow, especially Tilghman's. It appears to be about half the width of the one Elder is wearing, which according to the blurb is a non-regulation belt with an officer's belt plate. I also don't see any suspenders on either one. Presumably those pants had wrap around tie straps and no belt loops (which came in towards the end of the century).

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4862
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 10:10:56 AM »
BCD, thanks for the interesting bit of knowledge!  :D
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:36:20 AM »

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 10:39:24 AM »
Here’s a company reproducing the “Missouri battle shirts”, which as you can see are very close to what Bill is wearing. Similar to the bushwhacker shirts common among the partisan ranger groups in Kansas, (Quantrill, Bloody Bill and the like.) I suppose those would be common enough in the Kansas buffalo killing fields of the early 1870’s.

pardon for not being leather related.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 695
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 01:03:18 PM »
I feel that you are pretty much hitting the nail on the head with all of your assumptions and notations. It's always facinating to look at real photos of what they wore and what can be gathered is that there are so many different types of clothing, gun leather and in just about any era that you find.

What you have to take note of are certain things that would surely date a photo such as belt loops on pants, style of hat that may not have been out till a certain time frame and other things such as those that surely date a photo to a certain time or later.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 01:17:21 PM »
Those shirts are pullovers, so they may have suspenders underneath?    Either way, James Country is in my neck of the woods, located in Liberty Missouri, just off the square.   Great people to do business with and shoot with.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 05:46:40 PM »
Those shirts are pullovers, so they may have suspenders underneath?    Either way, James Country is in my neck of the woods, located in Liberty Missouri, just off the square.   Great people to do business with and shoot with.
Pullovers, yes, but they're tucked in which would be very hard to do if there were suspenders attached to those pants. You live in a place full of notable history.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 06:53:44 AM »
Ah. very true on the tuck in.   Did not catch that.   Oh yeah, all of the Youngers are buried about 2.5 miles from me.   Battle of Lone Jack is not too far (I think that is where Ruben Cogburn lost his eye).    Great area for a history buff.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 08:25:16 AM »
Ah. very true on the tuck in.   Did not catch that.   Oh yeah, all of the Youngers are buried about 2.5 miles from me.   Battle of Lone Jack is not too far (I think that is where Ruben Cogburn lost his eye).    Great area for a history buff.
I love historical stuff. :D

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 908
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 11:03:52 AM »
BCD,

You mentioned the two men pictured both appear to be wearing flap holsters.  That makes sense considering the two hide hunters are primarily rifle men and would only carry as back up for varmints (not worth a round of buffalo ammo) or for a skirmish with the "indigenous" folks, who might get close for a single shot rifle.  And as a weapon they wanted ready but was seldom used carrying it in a more protective flap holster would be quite practical.

Dave 

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2023, 02:58:13 PM »
BCD,

You mentioned the two men pictured both appear to be wearing flap holsters.  That makes sense considering the two hide hunters are primarily rifle men and would only carry as back up for varmints (not worth a round of buffalo ammo) or for a skirmish with the "indigenous" folks, who might get close for a single shot rifle.  And as a weapon they wanted ready but was seldom used carrying it in a more protective flap holster would be quite practical.

Dave
[quote/]

I agree Dave. Also seems to have been the norm at the time. Again, from what I’ve read, flap holsters were way more prevalent in the early 70’s than holsters without a flap. I could be wrong on that. In my minds eye it seems this may have also been because of habits formed with the cap and ball guns. In theory a cap and ball gun would need more protection from the elements than a metallic cartridge gun. It does seem that flap holsters seemed to become less common among civilians as soon as the 1880s. If I’m wrong on that correct me! Haha

In Guinn’s novel he has several members of the Dixon/Hanrahan crew armed with newly purchased Colt SAAs. I’m totally ignorant on this so I’m curious to know, what is the likelihood that anyone at Adobe Walls might’ve had a SAA in the summer of ‘74? I suppose buffalo hunters might’ve had as good a chance as any of buying some of the early commercial SAAs since most in Dodge made a fairly decent living as hide men.

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2023, 06:16:59 AM »
The availability of early Peacemakers has been discussed in this thread:

https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=66273.0
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2023, 07:53:47 AM »
The availability of early Peacemakers has been discussed in this thread:

https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=66273.0

Actually stumbled on that thread last night. Thanks for the reminder though!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com