Author Topic: Looking for a recipe for Arkansas chow chow  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Looking for a recipe for Arkansas chow chow
« on: April 01, 2019, 08:05:54 PM »
When I was in 'Nam my roommate got a package a week from his wife: two pint bottles of her chow chow, two pints of Uncle Frank's home brew, all packed in black eyed peas. (Which we also cooked and ate.)  My wife sent Swedish pork loin which mostly went in the peas, 1LT Futrell's wife provided corn meal and the fixings to make corn bread, some guys from Wisconsin contributed cheese and butter, and so on and so forth.  There was real maple syrup and candy, kippered herring, canned bacon (an acquired taste, jerky, and a host of other good stuff.

We lived well when we weren't being targeted by some really antisocial natives.  (Just for the record I didn't even know their wives, sisters, or daughters so I didn't understand why they were shooting at me.)

I fell in love with chow chow and have been looking for a recipe or a bottle of it since 1969.  Got lots of both, but none were quite "right".

I stopped in at a Mortimer Farms store about seven miles from my house last week and found what I wanted. Got the ingredients, all natural, but not the proportions or measurements.

So far I have cabbage, onions, vinegar, pure cane sugar, carrots, peppers (don't know what kind), mustard seed, celery seed, and unnamed spices.

Any help?
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: Looking for a recipe for Arkansas chow chow
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 07:02:39 AM »
All chow chow I had growing up had green tomatoes as the main ingredient.  Both of my Grandmothers have long past, so the receipt is long gone.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 12:31:24 AM »
https://www.recipesource.com/side-dishes/relishes/01/rec0149.html

Can't stand the stuff myself, so I had to dig for a recipe.  This one has instructions for canning, so it might be close to what you had.  Recipes that are meant to be canned tend to be fairly consistent over time (at least, if they were tested to begin with!).
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:38:59 AM »

Offline AllanWaris

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 02:20:39 AM »
I also remember something like this, has anyone found the original recipe?

Offline JasonAnderson

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 02:39:06 AM »
 I totally get your craving for that perfect chow chow recipe. It's amazing how certain flavors can bring back memories, especially from such a memorable time like 'Nam. Now, when it comes to making chow chow, proportions and measurements are key to getting it just right. Since you've got all the ingredients, I'd suggest checking out Cuisine at Americas Restaurant, a fantastic food blog that always has the best recipes and recommendations for great restaurants to visit.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 06:45:20 AM »
Cracker Barrel ?
 I got a Jar as a gift with some other condiments in gift package.
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com