Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Barracks

Mauser C96 Broomhandle Loads

(1/4) > >>

El Tio Loco:
My broomhandle is coming back from the gunsmith in a couple weeks and I need to have something to feed it when it arrives.  What loads do all you Mauser shooters use?  Everybody seems to be out of the Sierra 85 grain Tokarev bullet as well as the Hornady 86 grain. And I have read that the 110 carbine bullets need to be seated to far in for it to crimp properly.  Does anybody know of a lead bullet that would work.  I am not looking for something fast, just a load that will cycle the action and be fairly accurate.
Ken

Drydock:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2046216411  I have used these, the .313 76 grain rnfp.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010629368?pid=618190  My broomhandle really likes these.

With both I started with 3 grains of Red Dot, and went up by 10ths until I had a load that reliably cycled the action.  The springs on these can vary wildly, hard to say what your gun will like.  I use a Lee FCD, and with the latter bullet there is still about a 10th of an inch of jacket showing with the proper oal.

El Tio Loco:
For the Hunter Supply bullet do you resize them down to .309 or .308 or shoot them as is?  I am having the barrel relined so I should be pretty close to .308 bore diameter.
And they are out of stock on the Speer plinker bullets. 
My mauser has new wolf springs in it so I should be good but I will work up something that cycles the action reliably.
Thanks for the reply Drydock, it's so much fun having a new gun to play with.
Ken

Advertising:

Drydock:
As is in mine.

Major 2:
My 2 cents worth , I was able to score both 85 G PPG & 88 G Fiocchi 7.63 Mauser FMJ , at pre pandemic prices so I moved on them...
I used them as a base line for my hand reloads .... (knowing I could not use the FMJ is a skirmish bullet )
Both the PPG & Fiocchi states it uses 5.5 grains of unknown powder
These zipped out  at around 1400 fps

My first loads were .309  90 G  Hi-tech bullets , and  Trail boss , I was seeing some tumbling and under 1300 fps....
I'm still working on my hand loads

My bullets 90 G Hi-tech bullets were from Penn Bullets.
 I placed a second order with Robert president of Penn Bullets for 90 grain .311  coated Mauser C96 bullets (along with some 180 grain .311 bullets for my 30,06 ) in late January 2021 .
Thinking a .311 bullet might stabilize in the Bolo barrel

I have yet to see my order,  a call just 3 weeks ago I spoke to Robert and he said my bullet orders were done and he'd ship them .... now September 1st and NOTHING !

Robert, passed away, but my order was honored in November or 2021.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version