Author Topic: H&R age?  (Read 3009 times)

Offline Cuzzin Jack

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
H&R age?
« on: April 27, 2007, 08:43:38 PM »
Hey ya'll, I've got a question that one of ya'll might be able to answer for me. My top break H&R in .38 S&W has got a gas ring on the cylinder and I was wondering whether that would indicate a pre-smokeless vintage? The address reads Harrington&Richardson Arms Co Worcester Massachusetts U.S.A in two lines. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.                                                                                                                                                                                                        Cuzzin Jack
Sgt. Company A 8th Cavalry- Never start a vast project with half vast plans

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: H&R age?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 12:11:43 AM »
Harrington and Richardson manufactured the same models for many, many years.

The factory operated on the concept that they didn't 'fix' what wasn't 'broken' - but when some minor internal parts proved to work better - they did use them - though they kept the main design.

Dating the Harrington and Richardson is difficult, because of this.

A lot more information's needed to accurately date the piece - but the gas ring also is what holds the cylinder in place - and that feature is as old as the design.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 02:32:48 AM »
Even the modern S&W hand ejector revolvers made for smokeless such as the M29 44Mag have a gas ring, they did not delete the feature with smokeless designs.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:59:05 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com