Author Topic: Allen and Wheellock Revolver.  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Allen and Wheellock Revolver.
« on: April 14, 2007, 08:04:10 PM »
OK guys and gals, here's a history question for you all.

I just came back from the local range,  In the display case was an Allen and Wheellock Revolver.  The caliber is .44 Lip Fire.  Pattent date was 1859.  It was a really nice revolver in beautiful condition.

The Loading gate had a button that was spring loaded with a detent that held it close and the trigger guard had a small lever at the rear that was pushed back, releasing the trigger guard to pivot forward and push the ejector rod back to push the cartridge out.  This was a solid frame revolver and was mechanically flawless.

The only flaw I could ascertain was the cylinder stop spring was either weak or broken because the cylinder would not lock up.

The finish was very good, it seems to have a blue octagonal  barrel, and traces of what looks like copper plating on the frame.  It balanced well and it was for sale for $4500.00.  Just a bit to rich for my blood since they no longer make lip or "teat" fire cartridges anymore.

You can bet you last dollor I was trying to figure out how to engineer that gun to fire some sort of centerfire cartridge.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com