Author Topic: Recently purchased a '76 so new to this forum.  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 94
Recently purchased a '76 so new to this forum.
« on: May 02, 2022, 02:54:18 PM »
Hello Gentlemen,

I recently purchased a Chaparral 1876 rifle in 45-60. I guess if I had looked on this forum before purchasing I probably would not have purchased it. Alas, I did not so I own it. I have inspected the rifle and as far as the outside is concerned it is a very decent looking rifle. It has real walnut wood. The forearm is a bit slightly undersized on the end where it snugs up against the nose cap and the end that fits up against the receiver is perfect. I received 20 Ten-X rounds with the rifle and have cycled them to see if they feed and eject properly and they seem to just fine. The action is a bit stiff, but not too bad. The trigger is around 4 or 5 pounds (guessing) and breaks very cleanly. Absolutely no creep. From what I can tell there is no head space problem as the lever has a slight resistance before snapping closed.

I pulled the side plates and examined the toggle links. I thought they needed lubricating so I greased them up a bit, and greased the spring cams on the lever. The main hammer spring seems a bit heavy but I am not going to bother it until I can shoot the rifle to see how it performs. The lifter block seems to function ok but protrudes below the frame maybe 1/64th or there about(guessing). I did not look at the bolt and breech block other than to see that they were functioning and not adversely rubbing anywhere.

Could you guys tell me where I might find a decent set of reloading dies and some 45=60 brass?
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
Re: Recently purchased a '76 so new to this forum.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 04:01:07 PM »
Google search for the dies, best bet for brass is to cut down 45/70 brass.
King Medallion

Offline ATCDoktor

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 09:20:28 PM »
The early serial numbered Chaparrals were the ones with the most problems so depending on where yours breaks out (early or late) you may have a good one.

I bought this one back in 2012  (SN in the 2100’s) chambered in 50/95 and it’s been accurate, dependable and trouble free with near 1000 rounds of smokeless loads fired through it.

With regards to 45/60 dies, (as King Medallion) stated just get a cheap set if 45/70 dies and have the bullet seating die shortened by about a quarter inch.

That’s what I did with this one (local machine shop took care of it) and it’s worked fine for me, works for 45/70, Hornady short 45/70 and 45/60 brass. 

Shortened, radiused inside and out cost $40.00 and worth every penny.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:05:06 PM »

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 07:48:38 AM »
 I have never regret'd buying my 40-60 "Chappie", or my 45-60, you'll enjoy it.

coffee's ready,  Hootmix.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 11:19:44 AM »
So all I need to do is cut down some 45-70 reloading dies and they will work for the 45-60? If a three die set do all the dies need to be cut off about 1/4"?

I have plenty of 45-70 brass I can cut down to the 45-60 length.

Offline ATCDoktor

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2022, 02:37:03 PM »
So all I need to do is cut down some 45-70 reloading dies and they will work for the 45-60? If a three die set do all the dies need to be cut off about 1/4"?

As King Medallion has pointed out, purchasing the correct die set is the most “accurate” way to ensure you have proper dies to handload the 45/60.

My situation was such that I had two die sets for 45/70, a Lee 3 die set I had for years and a set of RCBS 45/70 “cowboy” dies that I picked up from an estate for very little money.

Rather than buy a set of 45/60 dies I elected to shorten my Lee bullet seater die to load the shorter brass.

As far as shortening dies goes (if your going t use 45/70 dies) which dies you “trim” would be dependent on which die set you buy.

Regardless of which 45/70 dies you use, the sizing die will not need to be cut.

My Lee 45/70 expander die was too short to flare the case mouth for shortened 45/70 brass but my RCBS cowboy dies would flare short brass no problem so I elected to cut only my Lee seating die.

The exact dimension I had it shortened was .22 inches and radiused inside an out.

Essentially I had the machinist copy the Lee die profile cut exactly where the cartridge enters the die and the die enters the press.

It cost me $40.00 and it was completed in a day.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2022, 08:24:19 PM »
King Medallion I appreciate the information on the 45-60 dies. I had looked online but everyone I checked was out of stock. I thought I had checked Midway. Got a set coming.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2022, 04:14:41 PM »
I took this picture of my new-to-me 1876 rifle. I included one of my 1873 rifles for a comparison of the difference in size between the 1873 and 1876 rifles.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2022, 09:57:42 PM »
That's a nice looking 76 rifle. The 73 ain't to shabby either.
King Medallion

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com