Author Topic: Lets talk about crossdraw slimjims...  (Read 6670 times)

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Lets talk about crossdraw slimjims...
« on: December 23, 2005, 07:02:00 AM »
I have seen several old tyme photos of buckaroos and cowboys with their hogleg in a crossdraw.

Most photos were like this...at least the ones I can make out what they are carrying.

[except for civil war soldier photos]

Also, as far as I can tell, all but maybe a few of them are using slim jims, or 49'er holsters.

The whole mexican loop and such that we see today are not evident until almost the turn of the century.

So, the question I have is, does wearing a crossdraw (or non crossdraw for that matter) slimjim appear more correct? (for pre 1890s style)

I have a Walker I am in the mood to make a holster for, and now, I am REALLY thinking a crossdraw slimjim would be about perfect.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Lets talk about crossdraw slimjims...
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 09:22:10 AM »
The 'Mexican Loop' style came about way before the turn of the century.

It came about pretty much simultaneously with the advent of the cartridge belt - and civiians were using them when the Colt Conversions and all were developed in the late 1860's.

It was simple to produce, protected the piece and was a very efficient holster for a man who carried a sidearm, since it held the weapon 'deep' and secure.

Read 'Packing Iron' - by Rattenbury.

You'll learn far more about the history of gunleather on the Frontier.

As to your Walker's Slim Jim - you plan on counter-balancing the 4 pounds, 9 ounces how?

Since there'd be no 'extra' leather to help distribute weight - that form-fitted sheath will roll unless you have an 'exceptionally' wide belt loop - hard to do with so little leather available due to the style.

The Colt Walker was 'generally' carried by the horse - Duell McCall and Gus MacCrae notwithstanding.

Without  a cartridge belt to help off-set the weight - well...

Those photos that you've seen aren't 'cross-draws' per se - definitely not what you'll see in SASS, since those are competition-driven designs.

Rather, they're standard holsters slipped to the off side to allow for whatever it was that the cowboy was doing.

Good Luck.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Vance Beckett

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 06:32:45 AM »
I think yer right Dakota.  About the earliest example I found in Packing Iron in regards to a Mexican Loop is circa 1875 (page 96), and St. George is right about them being used much earlier than 1900, and to mention that book.  It is probably the best reference work regarding gunleather ever published.  He is also correct about cartridge belts spurring the advance of gunleather technology into the Mexican Loop.  I myself decided to go with "Slim Jims" mainly due to the period I'm trying to emulate, the early 1870's (about 1872), when such holsters were more prevalent (though according to Packing Iron, they were used well into the 90's).  Heck, I probably won't even use a belt with loops, period.  The "correct" holster for you depends on what time-frame you're placing your persona into -- if that's a consideration for you, that is.

Happy Trails!
STORM #185

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:33:32 AM »

Offline dutchman

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 07:40:11 PM »
Hey Dakota, The slim jim is all I use. If you're gonna carry that Walker you'll need a cross draw. I had a hard time clearing leather with a strong side holster. Had to pull real high to clear that 9" barrel. Be sure you use thick sturdy leather on the piece that goes around the belt and be sure that part fits the belt. I bought a standard one and it didn't last long at all. Had a friend build me one that fit as I stated and it's lasted so far. Good luck.
"I come here to die with ye, or live with ye. Dyin' ain't hard fer sich as ye and me, it's the livin' thet's hard.

Offline Judge Roy Bean

• Judge Roy Bean (U.K)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • www.laredo.org.uk
  • Liked:
Re: Lets talk about crossdraw slim jims...
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 04:43:57 PM »
Hi all, talking about slim jims,anybody know who makes one for colt pocket pistols.Mabe like the pair in packin iron with metal tips.
Texas & Miss Lilly.
  shoot"em"first hang "em" later.

Offline Brazos Jack

• Active citizen
  • Leather Tradesman Author Pattern Maker
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 09:36:56 AM »
Widowmaker,

I have a pattern for a belt loop for the Walker Holster that fits the belt and is wide enough to keep it from "rolling." I designed it especially for the California Slim Jim.

Holer at me and we'll hook up.

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 03:23:13 PM »
laredo les, those holsters of which you speak have caught the eye of many.  They look as if they would be right at home on the hips of a modern SASS competetor.  A sleek, buisiness looking rig alright.   I have done a couple of plain Jane Slim Jims for the '49s and will see if there are any pictures available I can post.  The pattern (size/shape) interchanges well with Rugers little Bearcat revolvers.  There is a commercial pattern available that works well as a starting point, if you are interested in do-it-yourself.   I'm sure that several of the pards on this forum can do the necessary metal work to replicate this rig, Wild Rose comes to mind off hand.

Offline Judge Roy Bean

• Judge Roy Bean (U.K)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • www.laredo.org.uk
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 03:44:57 PM »
Hi Bob that sounds great,we have a few leather makers hear in the u.k but do not have the patons.
Texas & Miss Lilly.
  shoot"em"first hang "em" later.

Offline Brazos Jack

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 07:04:23 AM »
Hey Widowmaker, I found some photos of the belt loop I told you about. This is the prototype I made for some upcoming patterns.

Holler at me.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 11:15:20 AM »
Thanks for posting the pics of your slimjim, BJ. I've been thinking of making a crossdraw one myself and will give that loop a try. Looks good.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Brazos Jack

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 11:43:49 AM »
Hey Marshall,

This style is hard to see in the photo, but it's [obviously] folded and then sewn in three places. This makes a stout belt loop and offeres support to the backside of the holster, even if un-lined.

Send me  your address and I'll shoot you a pattern for the loop, or if you like the holster too. Oh, be sure to specify the width of the belt.

Holler at me.

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 08:20:24 PM »
Brazos, the old eyes are not what they used to be but it looks like that third set of stitches is a square inside the U of the bottom stitches perhaps?  For years I made my belt loops from a uniform width (somewhat narrow) of strap but recently have been trying some that are wider at the top.  Early on I liked a narrower strap under a tight belt as it allowed me to rock the holster angle, immediatly before the draw, but questionable angles are now being watched very closely and the wider top will secure the designed in angle better.

I needed a couple of things from Hidecrafters so placed an order today and added your Texas Slim patterns to the list.  A computor glitch has me locked out of the picture buisiness currently but will try to post some pictures as soon as possible.

Offline Kid Raven

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 09:15:11 PM »
You could add wings to the strap that go behind the belt, they help stabilize the holster. Then to hold the holster in place you can add "dots" of velcro and a strip of velro on the back side of your belt. This really lock the holster in place.

Offline Brazos Jack

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 06:46:54 AM »
Right you are Slowhand. The third stitch line is placed just above the curved line. This allows belt loop patterns of different widths to be used in the same set stitch lines on the holster pattern.

Keep in mind that the photo shows the Straight Draw Belt Loop. The Cross Draw stitch lines are a little different.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com